Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

debris from starship combat near planets sometimes survives re-entry, as when a relay station on Yong III was destroyed by debris after a fierce fight in low orbit on 27.08YC105.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Loosening the straps (ooooh).  (Read 23272 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Loosening the straps (ooooh).
« Reply #45 on: 02 Aug 2012, 16:03 »

I actually think the channel would grow in popularity among all the RPers who avoid it due to drama if they knew that all the bad mojo was being judiciously removed as it occurs.

I've found in EVE that people, channels, and fleets tend to rise or fall to the level of expectations set from the people in charge.  Group events seem to directly be influenced and respond immediately to the tone and conduct set by the people in charge.

If you run a sloppy fleet on comms and let people yap about every stupid unrelated thing all the time then that's the kind of fleet you'll get.  You can have fun and a good time, but don't get upset when you can't enforce fleet or comm discipline when you need to.

If you run an RP event and let non-sanctioned nonsense occur things deteriorate quickly

And if you run and RP channel and don't enforce rules that are decided upon, things go downhill as well.

I'm not accusing the Summit of this, just making a 'general' opinion.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #46 on: 03 Aug 2012, 06:41 »

I'm very glad I'm not the only one who sees the slave thing as basically BDSM RP lol. This time, I've actually read all the posts, and I agree that a blanket ban of slaves is bad because...well, "it's just not fair", I guess. They can be put on a watchlist if anything.

I've got a question about characters like Anette Inhonores, though, and what you people think of such persons. When I've RP'd her in the Summit, I have had at least one other player mention to me OOC that she comes off more mature and sane than the rest of the characters currently plugged in, while still acting believably like an 11-year-old. Despite this, have seen people start groaning and making comments "onoes a child" and disconnecting, regardless of her mature behaviour.

Just wanted genuine opinions here, since I've always wondered it. I'm not going to stomp around and demand she be accepted, because ultimately it's about producing a believable character and product of the Gallente Federation/New Eden world that people can engage with and perhaps be entertained. After all, not many child characters that aren't skanky plot devices for kidnapping stories or "The Amarr touched them in their special area and so they're evil". The opportunity for a character to interact with a child may prove rewarding in its own way distinct from an adult character. I like to be the centre of attention (sometimes/most times) for people's entertainment; and that's the goal of Anette, to entertain people.

I suppose she'd fall under "moderator's discretion", but I do frown a bit when a character goes GRR CHILD PERSON IS HERE /disconnect without even assessing the character wholesale first. I know we like our grimdark universe, but there's still children in EVE :3

derp, longer post than i wanted.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #47 on: 03 Aug 2012, 07:06 »

As the person who you're referring to - yes I said she's more sane and mature than most who connect. That said, she's still a child, and seeing a non-capsuleer child connect to the Summit has always rubbed me the wrong way just the same as seeing slaves connect, or Joe The Space Plumber.

As likable as she is, I am of the opinion that she and everyone else who isn't a non-slave capsuleer shouldn't be connecting. But I don't voice my concerns often because there are characters like Anette, that Rogue Drone girl 'Unit', and Synthia who are not traditional capsuleers (or not at all) and who I'd like to see stay.

I guess this is an argument against blanket bans.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #48 on: 03 Aug 2012, 07:09 »

We tend to treat non-capsuleers as "allowed, but on a very short leash".  Annette doesn't break any rules and is remarkably well behaved, so she's never had moderator attention fall on her.  Ciarente Roth falls under the same category.

Now, this doesnt mean that we are going to police the channel as though its family friendly.  It's Seriphyn's job to be keeping his kid off the Summit when people are swearing up a storm or threatening to kill eachother.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 03 Aug 2012, 07:54 »

Ciarente Roth falls under the same category.

You do mean Camille Roth, don't you? Because Cia's over the age of majority ...
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #50 on: 03 Aug 2012, 08:04 »

Yes, thats what I mean, sorry!  <3 Camille just bad with names.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 03 Aug 2012, 11:45 »

Inhonores: I think whether or not to allow an 11-year old girl into a frequently adult-oriented capsuleer channel full of killers and the like is entirely up to the channel operator and mods.

I've got not OOC issues, but I think the general groans from the IC patrons are quite justified.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #52 on: 03 Aug 2012, 11:47 »

Oddly, most capsuleers should be more afraid of Camille than the other pilots. That girl is trouble.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 03 Aug 2012, 16:19 »

Inhonores: I think whether or not to allow an 11-year old girl into a frequently adult-oriented capsuleer channel full of killers and the like is entirely up to the channel operator and mods.

I've got not OOC issues, but I think the general groans from the IC patrons are quite justified.

Let's try again, politically corrected. It's not like i lack discretion, especially trying to rp realistic characters. if I personally see what I consider adult behaviour in the summit, that's when I'll use my noggin and not plug in a child character.

But most of the time its complaining about children with rather general conversation otherwise.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #54 on: 03 Aug 2012, 20:18 »

I've got a question about characters like Anette Inhonores, though, and what you people think of such persons.
What's the question?

Despite this, have seen people start groaning and making comments "onoes a child" and disconnecting, regardless of her mature behaviour.

<snip>

I suppose she'd fall under "moderator's discretion", but I do frown a bit when a character goes GRR CHILD PERSON IS HERE /disconnect without even assessing the character wholesale first. I know we like our grimdark universe, but there's still children in EVE :3
The complaint seems to be that some characters don't like your character, and you only think a character should dislike her for 'reasonable' reasons. If that's the case, I disagree.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 03 Aug 2012, 21:05 »

While I have issues with baseliners connecting to the Summit, that is not specific to Anette. You know personally how much I love her character OOC.

That said, Katrina thinks she's a snotty little shit and greatly dislikes her. Why? Because Anette reminds Katrina of herself when she was a girl. Arrogant, snotty, far too intelligent for her age, and sticking her nose where it shouldn't be.

So if my character continued griping about Anette, and I had never said anything to you OOC about how I like her: Would you be including me in this issue where you think she's not welcome in the Summit? I think you might.

The point here is that while Anette is often groaned and griped about, how do you know people don't actually like her as a character - but dislike her in character?

Norrin Ellis

« Reply #56 on: 04 Aug 2012, 03:18 »

All this talk of BDSM slaves and whatnot has inspired me to write an awesome new book:

50 Shades of Graelyn

I now return you to serious discussion of the topic.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #57 on: 04 Aug 2012, 07:09 »

All this talk of BDSM slaves and whatnot has inspired me to write an awesome new book:

50 Shades of Graelyn

I now return you to serious discussion of the topic.

*like this post*

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 04 Aug 2012, 10:44 »

Not really anything to do with the personal character of Anette, just the presence of a kid having an auto-repulsion effect of people withdrawing from the RP when she appears. I don't know anything about Camille Roth, but I don't think I've seen such a response in the one or two times she's connected in the Summit.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #59 on: 04 Aug 2012, 10:54 »

I can assure you, it happens just about every time I log her in to the Summit ... much like it happens every time my IRL friends bring their pre-teen kids to a restaurant. Adults in an adult venue are often unwelcoming of unexpected children, in my experience.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8