Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Emperor Heideran VII died on 17.09YC105  of Turit Disease just two weeks after the publication of his opus 'Pax Amarria'.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Gender in New Eden  (Read 14383 times)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
Re: Gender in New Eden
« Reply #30 on: 05 Jul 2012, 16:09 »

For a Ni-Kunni, this may be a compliment since they like having big families. That said, is it weird that Aldy would find the thought of making Mitara into a prized cow extremely arousing?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 05 Jul 2012, 17:03 »

That said, is it weird that Aldy would find the thought of making Mitara into a prized cow extremely arousing?

Mmmm, Steak....
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #32 on: 05 Jul 2012, 19:31 »

For a Ni-Kunni, this may be a compliment since they like having big families. That said, is it weird that Aldy would find the thought of making Mitara into a prized cow extremely arousing?

What? Is this as perverted as it sounds?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #33 on: 05 Jul 2012, 19:48 »

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #34 on: 05 Jul 2012, 20:16 »

I lol'd so hard
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #35 on: 05 Jul 2012, 20:28 »

I would have to disagree slightly. Caldari have absolutely no consideration for gender when it comes to rights, social standing and income. They don't concern themselves at all with superficial things like gender and appearance, it's about merit and capability with an emphasis on what can be provided for the whole not what the individual is. This viewpoint is also represented in "Views of the Caldari" and I believe I read it somewhere in PF as well.

How does this square with the strong suggestions in PF that the Caldari society is somewhat homophobic? I seem to recall discussing this in person with Dropbear as well, although I was somewhat into my cups at that point and could be remembering incorrectly.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 05 Jul 2012, 20:38 »

I would have to disagree slightly. Caldari have absolutely no consideration for gender when it comes to rights, social standing and income. They don't concern themselves at all with superficial things like gender and appearance, it's about merit and capability with an emphasis on what can be provided for the whole not what the individual is. This viewpoint is also represented in "Views of the Caldari" and I believe I read it somewhere in PF as well.

How does this square with the strong suggestions in PF that the Caldari society is somewhat homophobic? I seem to recall discussing this in person with Dropbear as well, although I was somewhat into my cups at that point and could be remembering incorrectly.

I think the homophobic thing just  plain doesn't jive with the rest of the PF about Caldari. Caldari PF seems to emphasize they keep their private lives private, so why would it matter what sexuality someone is in private?

The ONLY reason I can see the Caldari caring about homosexuality is because homosexuals do not reproduce. That would have been a big issue for the State shortly after evacuating their homeworld.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 05 Jul 2012, 20:49 »

I think the homophobic thing just  plain doesn't jive with the rest of the PF about Caldari. Caldari PF seems to emphasize they keep their private lives private, so why would it matter what sexuality someone is in private?

The ONLY reason I can see the Caldari caring about homosexuality is because homosexuals do not reproduce. That would have been a big issue for the State shortly after evacuating their homeworld.

Peunato, an extremely competent pilot, was forced out of the Caldari Navy when he revealed he was gay. Since joining the Guristas, Peunato has been instrumental in expanding their power and influence.

I have a vague sense that there may have been something in a chron, too, and maybe something in a broader write-up about the Guristas, saying that one of the reasons they grew so fast was that they didn't care about sexual orientation and provided a safe harbour for people who wouldn't be safe in the State.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 05 Jul 2012, 21:04 »

One way of interpreting what we see is that people get punished for revealing that they're homosexual, not for being homosexual. That might be because if you tell people you're LGBT, you get ostracised because you're suddenly the square peg in a nation of round ... err, you know what I mean, right?

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 05 Jul 2012, 21:08 »

One way of interpreting what we see is that people get punished for revealing that they're homosexual, not for being homosexual. That might be because if you tell people you're LGBT, you get ostracised because you're suddenly the square peg in a nation of round ... err, you know what I mean, right?

That's more or less how I interpret it, yes. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" in a very real and widespread way.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #40 on: 05 Jul 2012, 21:09 »

I don't see how it's related at all, to be honest.

Sexual orientation =/= gender. My statement was that the Caldari don't concern themselves with gender when it comes to rights and merit. I made no comment at all regarding sexual orientation in the State.

Frankly, I imagine the issue with homosexuals in the State is that it's typically considered unproductive to society as they cannot reproduce. Furthermore, marriage in the State is very likely a contractual affair with most of them being arranged to some degree, a homosexual cannot typically be married off to increase political or economic gain or influence nor will they be able to provide future generations of the family name and generations of employees for their corporation.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 05 Jul 2012, 21:11 »

I don't see how it's related at all, to be honest.

Sexual orientation =/= gender. My statement was that the Caldari don't concern themselves with gender when it comes to rights and merit. I made no comment at all regarding sexual orientation in the State.

Frankly, I imagine the issue with homosexuals in the State is that it's typically considered unproductive to society as they cannot reproduce. Furthermore, marriage in the State is very likely a contractual affair with most of them being arranged to some degree, a homosexual cannot typically be married off to increase political or economic gain or influence nor will they be able to provide future generations of the family name and generations of employees for their corporation.

Exactly. It would very much be a case of "You're choosing your preferences over the needs of the State." That typically doesn't go over well among the State.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 05 Jul 2012, 21:49 »

@ Mata - there is definitely a chron about it. http://community.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=04-06-07

@ Kat and Malcolm: in a society with tube children, the link between sexuality and reproduction would be much less strong. Where did you read about Caldari marriage? I'd like to look it up, I can't recall reading anything that even indicates life-long pair-bonding is the norm.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #43 on: 05 Jul 2012, 23:05 »

Same-sex couple fertility options are already available at even our comparatively limited technology level IRL.  If I'd venture a guess, it is that homophobia is one of the prototypical attitudes of an authoritarian (fascist/despotic) regime, so it fits in with the rest of the trope-riddled portrayals of the major powers that has taken shape over the years.

Yes, that should come off sounding as bitter as it did :9.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #44 on: 05 Jul 2012, 23:32 »

Same-sex couple fertility options are already available at even our comparatively limited technology level IRL.  If I'd venture a guess, it is that homophobia is one of the prototypical attitudes of an authoritarian (fascist/despotic) regime, so it fits in with the rest of the trope-riddled portrayals of the major powers that has taken shape over the years.

Yes, that should come off sounding as bitter as it did :9.

Would you qualify that statement?

In general, I can see intolerance towards male homosexuality in the Caldari State because it is, physically speaking, not practical/known to us how men can birth children. Our current understanding postulates with some certainty that female homosexuals can genetically reproduce with technological aid. The Caldari to my understanding have a great importance on having children, not in adopting or accepting vagabonds/unwanted.

This would mean male homosexuality in particular would be seen as vastly undesirable as it is a reproductive dead end. You're not doing your duty to the Caldari people, essentially.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7