Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter first stated his intention to liberate Federation space on December 4th, Year 111? See the announcement here

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: [Draft] Caldari Corporate and State Structure  (Read 16232 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: [Draft] Caldari Corporate and State Structure
« Reply #90 on: 09 Jul 2012, 15:00 »

I'd also like to insert here that I think that a Caldari 'corporation' may not be entirely a corporation as we're used to the idea. Certainly they share many features, but I think there are some differences (maybe both in the original style they were based on, and in the ways they have evolved as they became the major unit of Caldari society).

I would suggest that there might be both employment contracts and some form of citizenship. You work for a corporation, but you are also from a corporation in a way that is usually reserved for countries. You might not have a State ID, but you certainly have a corporate ID, even if you don't work for that corporation for whatever reason.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #91 on: 09 Jul 2012, 15:11 »

You mean the way my wife and kids are, to a degree, registered with the megacorp that employs me (because of benefits and whatnot)?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #92 on: 09 Jul 2012, 15:17 »

Yeah, to a degree. But I think there are probably relationships between people and corporations that we don't have in RL as well. Because even in a company town, the Governor of the state isn't literally also an employee of the corporation. Nor your members of congress (even if we're talking about 19th century or early 20th century super blatantly corrupt congressmen). Nor is the President the CEO of the company you work for, and all the Cabinet positions aren't the executive board, etc. Even in places like Egypt where you have pervasive ownership or private industries by a government entity (the military, in that case), the degree to which the things that are the domain of the government and things which are the domain of 'companies' are interchangeable isn't close to the same.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #93 on: 09 Jul 2012, 18:30 »

That's rather what I was trying to emphasize through the original draft, Silver and I'm glad you reiterated it.

The thing about the Caldari megacorporations is that they're effectively city-states that are structured like a corporation.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #94 on: 09 Jul 2012, 18:39 »

I see them as corporations structured like nation-states.  You must pronounce "tomato" and "potato" the same way I do, dammit!  :evil:

[spoiler]:bear:[/spoiler]

Publius Valerius

« Reply #95 on: 10 Jul 2012, 02:46 »

So far I really love this idea. And the question about the caldari corprate state and its structur.
I reall like this two charts: here and here.

The structure

I have small question. It sonds a little bit weird, but what would you count a public - publicish - "hard" institutions*.

As for that I would start with the easiest ones. The institutions which executes the laws, or partially doing it. As institiution for the respected region (realm of autority) and the respected range (realm of legal); Im speaking of the police forces/security forces:

CBD Corporation = Spacelane Patrol
Hyasyoda Corporation = Corporate Police Force
Ishukone Watch = Ishukone Corporation; Ishukone Corporation = Ishukone Watch
Lai Dai Corporation = Lai Dai Protection Service
Kaalakiota Corporation = Home Guard
Nugoeihuvi Corporation = Internal Security
Sukuuvestaa Corporation = Peace and Order Unit
Wiyrkomi Corporation = Wiyrkomi Peace Corps

As you can see, I have order them alphabetical and not in the "informal" order of the three blocs. You also already see all the "megas". Which are also in the business of daily administration of the state. You can see them as the "Lords of the respected region", as like the amarrian Holders. If we imagen on this stage a chart it would be most likely a boring ones... with the 8 megas and lines which goes from them down to their security forces (like the heir ones). On the upperside of the chart would be one line go to the Chief Executive Panel. As it is jointly owned and run by the Caldari megacorporations. In the gray bloc would stand: "The CEOs of the mega corporations sit on the board of the Panel." As for the Chief Executive Panel one lines goes to the Caldari Business Tribunal, because "tribunal justices are appointed by the Chief Executive Panel." Now back to the megas.... one line goes form them also to the House of Records (visial would be next to the Chief Executive Panel). With a text which said: "set up by the Caldari mega corporations to act as a central source for all this information."

So far, it is just a first step, but it would look a little like the heir chart on the wiki talk page (here). But like I said just an idea....

Now to the point, why I choose alphabetical order and not a informal/ideological order? Because for me the the stuff what the believe in isnt so important for me. Thats why I also choose "hard" institutions in the first place (to have the values, norms, sanctions, taboos, customs, traditions, code of conduct out of the way.... with them you always have the problem to visualizing them (as I wrote here the values, norms, of the navy). But it is just me... I have always try to get them out of the way ;)..... but like I said it is just me ;)..... Ehm maybe a chart without a bloc seperation would be easier to make? What you people think about that idea? In the end it would be more unpolitical and more in the way of the Emperor, Heir or Privy Council charts.... which just show the structure without any values, norms (if you want add them, you can do it like in the Privy Council page on the wiki, with a "underline" ?).....

Just an idea.... but I alos happy to roll with any other idea... Im still reading tru the topic.

*Hard institutions in the meaning of: formal, legal, institution, that structure political, economic and social interactions of a larger goup.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012, 09:19 by Publius Valerius »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #96 on: 10 Jul 2012, 07:50 »

Ishukone Watch = Ishukone Corporation

It's backwards!

Publius Valerius

« Reply #97 on: 10 Jul 2012, 09:18 »

Ishukone Watch = Ishukone Corporation

Oh, I see  :eek:.... will rework it  :lol:
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012, 09:19 by Publius Valerius »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #98 on: 10 Jul 2012, 09:32 »

I'd also like to insert here that I think that a Caldari 'corporation' may not be entirely a corporation as we're used to the idea. Certainly they share many features, but I think there are some differences (maybe both in the original style they were based on, and in the ways they have evolved as they became the major unit of Caldari society).

Corporations IRL solely exist to make a profit. Ultimately that's all they exist for. So yeah, I don't think Caldari corporations are traditional in that sense, since they also represent their people and culture. The Caldari are profit-driven for the same way the Gallente are; it produces a healthy society (even if the Gallente do it via entrepreneurs, individual benefit results in collective benefits w/ losers, while the Caldari in 'Power politics' it says collective benefit result in individual benefits w/ losers)

Even the Practicals, who are apparently "ruthless" and "unethical" by the reader's standard, would justify (as per Ken's chart) their actions as "stability and collective prosperity no matter what". Certainly, they might dismiss the concept of ethics according to those who deem them as "unethical" as a hindering and unpractical stumbling block to achieve the greater good.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #99 on: 10 Jul 2012, 11:47 »

Corporations, companies, governments, organizations exist IRL to achieve goals that individuals alone could not achieve otherwise.  Achieving a profit, a positive net income, is critical to any corporation, company, governments, group of people growing.  If the entity has a negative net income, then they are unstable and likely to fail.

The income may be measured in currency, tonnage of food, head of cattle, minerals, etc.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #100 on: 18 Jul 2012, 01:51 »

The facility you were instructed to raid? It has not been under Hyasyoda control for almost a year now. I was told that if you do your research you should find that we also legally rented the area from Sukuuvestaa too, before Serpentis overran it and forced us out. Of course, SuVee could pay the House of Records and the Caldari Business Tribunal a few administrative fees to make that information disappear, if someone were to ever poke around.

This is from the Caldari Epic Arc.  Just another example of where ideal and practice often diverge.

Corporations, companies, governments, organizations exist IRL to achieve goals that individuals alone could not achieve otherwise.  Achieving a profit, a positive net income, is critical to any corporation, company, governments, group of people growing.  If the entity has a negative net income, then they are unstable and likely to fail.

The income may be measured in currency, tonnage of food, head of cattle, minerals, etc.

This is true to a point.  There are cases where profit for profit's sake becomes a destabilizing force of its own, however.  Exhausting resources, poisoning your environment and neglecting real human needs to create novelty products and high-turnover consumable devices can be very destructive.  There does come a point where the naked pursuit of profit is incompatible with long-term sustainability of life.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]