Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "Perfection ain't all it's cracked up to be" is an Angel Cartel saying? (Region Description)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: This may be why we have trouble keeping new players  (Read 6167 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: This may be why we have trouble keeping new players
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2012, 23:32 »

I prefer to think of it as filtering out the weak and the casual.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:39 »

I agree.

Having worked on the leadership side of the corporate structure for a while now, I can  finally understand all my old leaders crying blood over how incredibly insecure the system is inherently.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:05 »

So, so true. I love the process some corps will go through to filter out the obvious and not-so-obvious wanna-be scammers, thieves, traitors-to-be and general-purpose assholes. Unless ofc they WANT those. I consider a relatively thorough and not we-let-anyone/anything in our corp kind of approach to be a telling sign of at least a moderately competent corp that want PLAYERS and not another number/cog in their empire machine. Ofc, there are other signs to warns you about that last one, but I digress...

Off topic, the comic before the one about EVE is so very relevant to what I was doing all night...  :bash:

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2012, 05:36 »

I just pointed out that same comic to my wife. I was like "this is so true!"

I'm a paranoid CEO and have a pretty lengthy list of hurdles and obstacles a potential employee has to overcome to even be considered. You have to be really careful with FW.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2012, 05:44 »

I prefer to think of it as filtering out the weak and the casual.

Not everyone is looking to play Internet Tough Guy when they come onto an online world. Perhaps they just want to play EVE spaceships in a group with common interests.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2012, 06:17 »

I'm a paranoid CEO and have a pretty lengthy list of hurdles and obstacles a potential employee has to overcome to even be considered. You have to be really careful with FW.

As I like to joke, don't trust anyone in EVE that you can't walk up to and kick/punch in the face/balls/etc. in meatspace.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2012, 06:27 »

Ava and I found a good way to avoid spies/thieves is to have literally nothing at all worth stealing  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2012, 07:01 »

Kala, that's Suddenly Ninjas' approach for obvious reasons. Though I don't agree with labeling players as weak, and casual is not a negative. Corporations that think that casual is bad are often places that take "EVE is real" a little too seriously.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2012, 07:15 »

Agreed Casiella.

I do my best to not make WHG into an "elites only" organization, just one that takes careful precautions to keep our community healthy. We're an RP corp, to the biggest restriction to entering is that you have to RP and we expect you to be around occasionally (we don't like absentee members).

Casual is good and as long as you contribute to the community experience of the corp, with everyone enjoying being online together, RPing and flying in space, then we're good.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2012, 07:42 »

It's all well and good to wave the newbie/casual/fuckwit friendly flag around but there's no escaping the fact that if you're even remotely successful at anything in Eve, you will have something to protect. In order to protect it, you'd damn well better keep corp security in mind. And yes, casual is a negative thing whenever you try to achieve something beyond mediocrity. Sure, it goes closer towards the elitist jerk side of the spectrum, but frankly that is not a bad thing for a lot of people. Hell, even information is worth protecting. When wardeccing corps, one of the first things I do is finding the newbie character who's recently joined (and is thus less likely to be very loyal) and wave a decent amount of ISK in front of him, then just wait for the torrent of info from corp forums and elsewhere, not to mention real-time reports of corp operations he might know of.

In all my time in Eve that has rarely failed. The casuals and newbies are the weakest links in any corp they're in, unless they're alts.

Even if they are casuals, if they can't be bothered filling out a simple fucking application and go through some fairly simple checks and routines (limited APIs, interviews etc...) they're not fucking worth having anyway.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2012, 07:47 by Mizhara »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2012, 09:19 »

Even if they are casuals, if they can't be bothered filling out a simple fucking application and go through some fairly simple checks and routines (limited APIs, interviews etc...) they're not fucking worth having anyway.

As someone who helped revamp RDC's recruitment standards (alongside Simca and Vampire) before being placed in charge of diplo, I second this statement. This is the new I-RED standard.

Jev North

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2012, 09:23 »

Thanks. Now I'm quietly wondering what sort of object a "fucking application" might be, and can't wipe the smirk off my face anymore.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2012, 09:27 »

Thanks. Now I'm quietly wondering what sort of object a "fucking application" might be, and can't wipe the smirk off my face anymore.

You may proceed directly to the interview. Step into my orifi.. office, pardon.

Jev North

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2012, 09:51 »

On a more relevant note - yes, well, I agree. You can do with less, but writing up a small blurb about yourself, coughing up an API key of some description, and suffering through a short interview are more or less the baseline for corporations with significant shared assets or other operational risks. And don't be surprised if someone goes and asks your former CEOs and corpmates about why you left them, and whether you took any of the stuff in the corp hangar with you when you did..

On the flip side, during the limited times I've been responsible for that sort of thing I've noticed I have a lot of mental resistance to sacking people. Once they're in, there's a tendency to see them as part of the in-group, by yourself and others. Even if they're obviously a poor fit for the corporation. Consciously or unconsciously avoiding that kind of unpleasantenss is also part of the reason why we make people jump through hoops, I think.
Pages: [1] 2 3