Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kaalakiota, or KK, is the largest of the Caldari megacorporations, and was run by Tibus Heth.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This may be why we have trouble keeping new players  (Read 6166 times)

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
Re: This may be why we have trouble keeping new players
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:16 »

Huh.  So I'm the one who's supposed to be covered in butter and subjected to psychological damage during the interview process, not the corp CEO.

I should make a note of that.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2012, 11:42 »

Ava and I found a good way to avoid spies/thieves is to have literally nothing at all worth stealing  :D

My favorite way to troll spies and whatnot is RP the shit out of them.  If they want intel or a chance to steal anything, theyre going to have to earn it by entertaining me.

Huh.  So I'm the one who's supposed to be covered in butter and subjected to psychological damage during the interview process, not the corp CEO.

I should make a note of that.

Yes, the proper use of butter is key to a well done corporation interview.

Also, make them wear loincloths IC.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2012, 11:44 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2012, 14:35 »

If Vieve and I ever interview, I will gallantely leave the choice of butter and such to her.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2012, 16:34 »

I got an invite to my current corp about three days after I started EVE, during my Sisters of EVE arc.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2012, 19:39 »

API Keys are less useful than they used to be, given that you can now limit which characters on the account show up. Thus you can hide characters from the API check, if you want.

Demanding them to create two throwaway alts to prove that it's an everything api only stops people too lazy to give their infiltration alt their own account.

And quite often we get applications from people who have month old characters and say they want to RP. There are no in game checks that can be done.

It's all a bit depressing when I dwell on it too much, but then that's probably true of most of Eve.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2012, 19:49 »

Ulphus: I can't find them this second, but there are ways to check if you're being given an account or character-specific API.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #21 on: 26 Jun 2012, 04:36 »

Other MMOs are not srsbsns. Internet spaceships are srsbsns.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Serendipitous Echo

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:05 »

We didn't want those players anyway.  :P

Seriously though, I can't keep friends playing long enough to finish the tutorial. Tough corp entry requirements would be the least worrisome of the retention concerns, I'd wager.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:56 »

API Keys are less useful than they used to be, given that you can now limit which characters on the account show up. Thus you can hide characters from the API check, if you want.

This is actually not entirely true. If you import the API key into EVEHQ, it will tell you if it's an account-wide API, a character API or a corporate API. If you don't see "account" API, then you've been given a limited API and they're hiding characters.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2012, 11:31 »

Reading this comic... filled me with pride.

I am one of the architects of this paranoia. I am one of the reasons why corporations go as far as to assemble psych-profiles on potential recruits, or restrict their inner circles/directorships to real-life acquaintances only. With my treachery, I have made Eve a less trusting, more fearful place. My treachery has spread to all those it inspired, and it has been repeated a thousandfold.

How can one not feel godlike sometimes :)

/egomania

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2012, 11:42 »

Panel 1 of that strip applies to all those meaningless second-rate single-player games that masquerade as MMOs. Guilds mean nothing. They achieve nothing. They have nothing to lose and nothing to gain. It's simply a convenient social mechanic for the folks that have actually noticed that there are other people on the server they're playing on.

Still, it can be like that in Eve too. Plenty of corps full of people that just want a convenient chat window without the background noise.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jun 2012, 11:57 »

That is also a good point. While I never had the option of getting an API back in that-which-shall-not-be-named when I was a class-leader in a high-end raiding guild, the recruitment process was a gauntlet of horror for a lot of the young and hopeful victi... recruits. Hell, even after an extensive process with applications, interviews and background researches (including forum posting and former guild references and so on) we could even take the time and effort to take the piss out of them. I once had one of the hopefuls kite a World Dragon from the northern parts of a continent all the way to the southernmost zone before I even accepted him as a trial. Including going through a hostile faction's zone to do it.

Taking immense pleasure in truly tearing apart applicants for shitty grammar/spelling, poor effort in the application, lack of skill, lack of brains, lack of whatever was pretty much both in the interest of the guild and funny at the same time. So yeah, harsh standards for entry isn't exactly unique to Eve. It's so much more important in games like Eve where there's true vulnerabilities in corporate mechanics, but hardly unique to it.

The more I think about it, the more distaste I have for that first panel in the comic. Bloody casuals. Always have to be so careful when smearing them across the in-game landscape, or you'll get newbie/casual fuckwit all over yourself. Eww.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2012, 12:09 »

My favorite way to troll spies and whatnot is RP the shit out of them.  If they want intel or a chance to steal anything, theyre going to have to earn it by entertaining me.

So. Very. This.

I am wholly aware that my attitude is second cousin to unique in all of Eve, but if I am personally running things, I do not give a damn if every third person I hire is planning to betray and rob me so long as it is done IC. I "play to win" by playing my character to the hilt. Horrible treachery is merely fuel for the fire.

Incidentally, Malcolm, your vetting process can't be THAT strict: you let me in. Fortunately, Aria is a murderous infomorph-doppelganger-thingy of her word. I only get treacherous when treachery is in-character.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jun 2012, 14:18 »

The more I think about it, the more distaste I have for that first panel in the comic. Bloody casuals. Always have to be so careful when smearing them across the in-game landscape, or you'll get newbie/casual fuckwit all over yourself. Eww.

Scary person to keep away from.

I am wholly aware that my attitude is second cousin to unique in all of Eve, but if I am personally running things, I do not give a damn if every third person I hire is planning to betray and rob me so long as it is done IC. I "play to win" by playing my character to the hilt. Horrible treachery is merely fuel for the fire.

I love this attitude.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #29 on: 02 Jul 2012, 06:06 »

We once had a CVA spy in MSCS, but he was a great roamer and killed soo many Sylph that we didn't care he was a spy. We let him stay until he eventually quit on his own to return to CVA.

After that, I recruited every spy I possibly could. As a result we got way more good fights and our killboard looked great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3