Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What is The Summit? (The archived thread)  (Read 14364 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: What is The Summit?
« Reply #30 on: 07 Oct 2012, 14:37 »

From what I see here, I'd say that roleplaying a Fedo with glasses (Fedos have no eyes, by the way, just to point out) is sorta asking for trouble. I'm sure you expected this in some form when you created a character designed to poke at the fourth wall. Some roleplayers don't want to be reminded of the 4th wall IC as well as OOC. It breaks immersion, and can ruin the experience for others.

That said, I read your character's bio and like the idea. I think it's a good one, but I am saying that by nature you will run into people who really don't like the less immersive (or is it MORE immersive, to explain OOC content?) methods used. In the end, you'll be called a troll, and you'll be called out for things your character did that people just don't like.

I personally think improv blocking is a perfectly legitimate way to handle these things. This is a game after all, and people owe you no responsibility to hash it out in a long discussion about what they think you should do with your character. If people don't like your character, and improv block you, perhaps it is saving them from drama they don't want to be involved in. Not everyone wants to discuss this sort of stuff in their free time. At least they didn't actually -block- you, which is also a legitimate option (though extreme).

If your character is pushing the boundries of commonly accepted RP to try something new, I think you should be prepared for people to not want to RP with you. Some won't like your ideas, and some won't bother dealing with them. Pushing the issue won't help.

TL;DR

Neither Rek nor Synthia was in the wrong to do what they did.
Rek was exploring new RP possibilities. Bravo for creativity.
Synthia was avoiding something she didn't feel obliged to deal with. Bravo for picking your fights.

Meh. Just my opinion though, and I probably got some facts wrong anyways.

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #31 on: 11 Oct 2012, 01:44 »

or is it MORE immersive, to explain OOC content?

That was, in fact, the entire intent behind the character. When 99% of the EVE population acts a certain way, I thought it'd be neat to take such behavior in-character and try to figure out how a common baseliner of Caldari background becomes "an EVE player" in mindset. But as the idea has been met with increasing hostility, I've basically abandoned the concept as can be seen in my updated character concept thread. A character who acts like the other 99% of players is just weird and not received well. I find this to be a shame because I feel as though the RP community is rather insular; it is hard for "very serious" characters and their players to really interface with the non-roleplayers (it would be rather hard for an IC Amarr loyalist to go on a "just for fun" fleet with Autocannons Anonymous, for example).

I don't want to tie my gameplay down to the same group of 50-some people who aren't going to join my corp and be in my fleets and actually play with me. So that's why I made my character a certain way, and I see that it has failed.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #32 on: 11 Oct 2012, 02:49 »

I can kind of empathise with your situation Rek, but have found that it is quite possible to interact with the 'meta' of the game and conslidate it into your gameplay, although such is usually not 'Summit material'.  For example, Solarienne participates in RVB ganked as it is effectively an 'out of CONCORD Jurisdiction' Blood sport - combat sports and violence based gambling being very attractive entertainment in the State.  It is, of course, ethically and morally dubious, but due to the nature of most null sec operations, it is virtually an anti-pirate operation combined with capsuleer sponsored gambling services (through SOMER blink). 

Additionally, SHARE have multiple pirate allies that they rp quietly about as 'associates and allies' if required.  The key isp laying to your target audience - after all, do they really need to know the details? 

That isn't to say it is not difficult, evidently it is as you are no slouch when it comes to roleplaying.  I think the key element is an environment of support in any rp - in which I have found WHG and NISYN roleplayers to be my 'bros who have my back' if I feel that I am not being received well, and people who are unafraid to say it how it is, if the problem is the transmitter and not the receiver.  I have to say though, RP is almost as elitist as null sec, but with far different qualifiers.  Protip is basically 'don't play their game' - find people who think like you do, have a great time and just put on the right filter in the right environment (or detonate their spess shaps). 

Muck Raker

• Wetgraver
« Reply #33 on: 11 Oct 2012, 13:07 »

Way back, the operator of The Summit was Ashar Kor-Azor, and iirc, she described the summit as being like a teleconference. Wall of portraits, and one of them would flash if someone said something.

Was a conference at one point where Ashar created a virtual environment with seats and lecterns, was discontinued after a while.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #34 on: 11 Oct 2012, 18:10 »

Note: Those of you using this section of Backstage to get shots in on other people...you just keep that up and see what happens.

I want to preface this with a positive comment.   The Summit can be a fun place.  It is a great place to meet other people ICly in game. 

There seem to have been many positive changes in the channel lately, and the organization and dedication of its moderators is commendable.   

I personally don’t visit “The Summit”.  I don’t because I had a bad experience with a moderate. 

I admit on reflection that “initially” it was my ignorance and arrogance that caused the issue.   

I suppose this will be considered a troll, and will get me “banned”.  But it’s this attitude of arrogance that keeps a lot of “less desperate” RPers away from The Summit. 

Threats Graelyn? Really?

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #35 on: 11 Oct 2012, 19:23 »

I like to warn people before I get all moderator-ey.

Fret about it if you like, but it seems like wasted energy...

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 30 Apr 2013, 23:11 »

To correct your rumor of founding. Gaven funded Alianora Dushan and personally founded the channel. I don't believe this has ever been information shared IC though.

SaltoriaKrackir

• Clonejack
« Reply #37 on: 09 Mar 2014, 17:24 »

I know this sounds insane, but I've been looking all over the forums and Google. I can't find out how to actually get into The Summit. I'm new to EVE roleplaying, and I wanted to watch and read, but I can't figure out how/where I need to be to join.

If someone could direct me that would be fantastic.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #38 on: 09 Mar 2014, 17:35 »

Join the channel 'The Summit'

If you need help joining channels, then you do it from the chatbox window.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

SaltoriaKrackir

• Clonejack
« Reply #39 on: 09 Mar 2014, 19:20 »

Thank you! I found the channel, but there is no one here. Sad face.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 09 Mar 2014, 21:00 »

There's always people in it, it's just whether they feel like talking is the question. Every channel has downtimes.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #41 on: 09 Mar 2014, 21:16 »

It's actually been fairly busy today (and tonight). I saw you in the userlist, so I dunno how long you were paying attention.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #42 on: 14 Mar 2014, 14:53 »

It's also worth noting, for new players, that the channel has a delayed user list.  So when you first join, you're unlikely to see how many people are even present in the channel unless/until someone speaks.  Just as every closed eye ain't sleep, every empty user list ain't empty.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.
Pages: 1 2 [3]