Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the top-heavy, curved, vertical design of the Naglfar was copied from Minmatar totems? Read more in the description

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Welp, there goes all the Elder Scrolls players from the EVE community...  (Read 31664 times)

Kala

• Egger

But I don't see why Khajit don't make sense - They're Mer as well, if... Weird ones, with ultimately a belief system that leans in the same direction as the Aldmer. They were in the second the third dominions, as well.

Ultimately, I guess because there's a definite sense of them being drifters, outcasts and looked down upon by other races in the other games:

These skills, combined with the general tendency of humans and mer to look down on Khajiit and "beasts", leads many Khajiit outside of their home province to become bandits or professional thieves and assassins.

...and I always got the impression that High Elves were particularly snobby. 

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!

Without revealing too much of the begining storyline for the Aldermi Dominion, you do get a chance to speak to the Queen herself and even ask her questions. When asked why she formed the dominion, she said that in her travels of Tameriel, she saw the troubles that plagued the land. Basically, she wants to fix that, but admits that the Altmer alone are too few in number to accomplish the task at hand. Though negotiations with the Bosmer and Khajiit, the Dominion was formed. Through her words and actions, you also get that she feels the other two races in the Dominion alliance are on equal grounds as the Altmer.

Her way of thought hasn't settled well with quite a few people. There are Altmer who cling to the supremacy of the Altmer race, and it has caused problems for her rule. From these people, I can sense the begining of what makes up the Aldmeri Dominion in the fourth era (Skyrim) that we all come to hate.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Not my particular set of fiction tropes, but hope some of you are having fun!

Does the game offer much in the way of things to do if you don't do any of the quests or storyline? Like in EVE you don't have to do any missions and can play for years?

You know....

Somewhere out there, I feel like there's room for an Eve / Day Z / Rust /Dark Souls  style fantasy MMO, unmatched in its brutality and willingness to let you seize all you can.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Lyn Farel

Not my particular set of fiction tropes, but hope some of you are having fun!

Does the game offer much in the way of things to do if you don't do any of the quests or storyline? Like in EVE you don't have to do any missions and can play for years?

You know....

Somewhere out there, I feel like there's room for an Eve / Day Z / Rust /Dark Souls  style fantasy MMO, unmatched in its brutality and willingness to let you seize all you can.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Not really as far as I know. It's a pretty standard MMO with an ES flavour on exploration and skilling system. Like in Swtor you can more or less bypass all the questing system with pvp I guess, but some basic quests will have to be made to obtain the proper skills I think. The quests stories seem rather nice though, not tested much of them yet. Better than the shit we were served on swtor anyway, hands down.

I have to admit that ES is not necessarily my type of setting (I always say, let the elves and trolls and dwarves to Tolkien and do something new), but there is a certain atmosphere that is at least nice/ethereal. Well, from what I have seen until now, which doesn't mean much yet (I have started to watch Morlag Bal vids linked above...).

The lore looks completely bland from the outside, but it totally trumps that once you got to discover it at least a bit. Still not my favoured type of setting, too much magic for the sake of magic (want to see a true master piece of fantasy ? go play something like FFX and see why magic has a totally different meaning in that kind of settings), but it seems pretty good so far.

Lyn Farel

Some more personal feedback on the skill system...

Well, TESO seems to be the conventional MMO that still tries to achieve its own flavour and endemic little bits of particular gameplay, like exploration, etc. And while it is certainly far from being ground breaking and gets a lot of its inspirations from either ES games or other past MMOs, it seems to do it decently, but not enough.

TESO seems to have made the choice to put the emphasis on freedom for the player to customize his skills and character the way he wants, a bit like it was possible in SWG, and TSW. The only thing that you seem to have to do is to choose a race and a class, and then it's mostly up to you which skills and stuff you will learn and attach to your character.

Before continuing, for those that have not played SWG (pre NGE) and TSW, here is a gross summary of what skilling is in both :

- SWG had something like 32 professions, including the crafting and social ones, maybe around a dozen of those, and those were one of the main strength of the game, which was very sandbox like. Entertaining and recustomization professions were a strong feature of the game that really bolstered player interaction and social places (like cantinas), with people selling their services and the likes. Anyway, you could choose each time a basic profession that opened the door to many other advanced professions. Once you had gathered all the skill branches of the basic one, you could then start to unlock the advance one of your choice. It was only possible for example to get xp in pistols by using pistols, of course, or in surgery by healing. It was more or less possible to have 2 advanced professions unlocked before running out of skillpoints to spend. Which meant that you could have 2 main combat professions, or 2 social/craft ones, or some kind of hybrid between both. It was possible to change your build any time you wanted, but it was no skill respec like we know these days, meaning that you just erased your skillpoints attribution and started grinding another profession from scratch. But you could change everything at will and make your character something else, thus why you could only have one character per server, unless paying other accounts.

- TSW has around 250 skills that you can learn/unlock, placed on a skill wheel, all tied to a weapon (9 of those). You have to unlock first the core basic skills of a specific weapon before accessing the advanced ones on the outer wheel. You have absolutely zero skillpoints to allocate in the unlocked skills. All the skills you unlock with xp are free to use (either passives or actives), but depending on the weapon you use (you can use 2 at the same time), only the active skills related to said weapons are usable. For passives though, they could be used at any time. And, to limit that a bit more, you havd to choose 6 active skills to add in your hotbar (including one ultimate), and 6 passive skills in the second hotbar (including one ultimate). Only those skills were considered activated and usable, so it was a bit like doing one's own deck of skills. It is probably the most intriguing and free concept of skill system that I have had the occasion to use tbh. And it was rather deep with all those skills and the synergies between each of them to be done (every skill, active or passive, was doing a specific kind of effect, or taking its power from some kind of effect, and combining skills between the links and combos they could provide between them was an interesting exercise in theorycrafting, with absolutely no shame compared to eve).

Well now, that said, TESO uses a kindof similar system, but a bit more messy. You have to choose a race and a class when creating the character, and those will not be subject to change once selected, so choose well... More on that later.

In fact, everything or every item has an associated skilltree. Your class has a main skilltree with 3 specializations with passives and actives, your race has a little skilltree of a few passives, same for your armour, and your weapon has a skilltree with actives and passives. It's interesting because like in SWG, depending on the skills and items you use, you will gain xp in those particular skills and items to spend.

Then you have a little hotbar to fill ala TSW, with 5 active skills to add, and an ultimate. You can then unlock a second hotbar with a second weapon, but unlike TSW you can't use both weapons at the same time in combat, it's just to quickly be able to switch between 2 "decks" of skills. For passives, as long as you unlock them, they are permanently applying, but most of them just boost a specific set of skills or weapons.

Well, all in all, I find this system interesting because it breaks the monotony of wow like predefined systems where you only have to choose a class, and then a few specializations, with the rest being already optimized and calculated for you. Here you have more freedom to do what you want.

The main issue I find with this system is that unlike TSW and SWG where you could really do what you want, here you still have to choose a damn class and a race with specific bonuses. Well, at least, I can understand it for the race since it's rather minor, but for the class, it's something like 25% of your accessible skills. And once done, you can't change it, which can become a nightmare. Want to do a high elve ? And being a brute instead of a wizard ? Well, too bad for you, they have little bonuses for wizardry. Chose a templar because it looked cool, but find yourself disappointed with the skills it brings later on ? Well, you can start a new character from scratch dude.

The problem is that like TSW, this game does not offer any counsel or advice on what to do, or how the system really works. Once you get into the game, and start randomly unlocking stuff, and even before when choosing your class and race, you only get served a tiny cryptic and vague description. You don't really know what you will be getting eventually, so either you do it blindly, or you do your research on the internet before. At least in TSW, the basic skills were unlocked very fast and more importantly, the devs were conscious of the obscure side of their system with hundred of skills to read, so they provided pre made templates to follow (archetypes). Here, there is none of this. There are a lot less skills yeah (and that's not necessarily a good thing), but the first impression is just that the system is damn obscure and messy, because nothing is explained. You have to do your own research. It is the main issue plaguing such systems, where devs do not seem to know how to introduce players to it. Everytime I play with friends to such games (TSW, PoE, or here TESO), I ALWAYS have at least one that will just choose shitty skills combinations or do whatever he wants without thinking of the coherence of his build, and find himself with a dumb gameplay, or a dumbed down character. And then being disgusted of the game because the system "sucks". Well no, it sucks because you didn't bother to learn how the system works, dude.

And your class being locked really sucks, if you want to switch for another one. After all, it's just another set of skill trees, it's not like you were going to change your race or your face or whatever... Why locking the class when your system basically relies on a free customizable skill system ? It's like shooting oneself in the foot.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2014, 02:36 by Lyn Farel »

Ollie

• Egger

WELCOME TO ESO

Your quest log says you're looking into back-alley murders. My bet is that wasn't what you had in mind when you asked all your suspects to "get in a lineup".  :bash:

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

WELCOME TO ESO

Your quest log says you're looking into back-alley murders. My bet is that wasn't what you had in mind when you asked all your suspects to "get in a lineup".  :bash:

Says you.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

You know how you keep going on and on and on about how we never go up to the Cloud District, Nazeem?

This shit is why.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

Penny Arcade ♥

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Kala

• Egger

Couple of opposing viewpoints on the game here, which I found interesting for comparison.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/07/impressions-the-elder-scrolls-online/

(and the less critical) http://www.computerandvideogames.com/457725/the-elder-scrolls-online-pc-launch-review/

Here's the bits they seem to disagree on specifically:

Exploration

You know how in Skyrim or Oblivion you could be happily wandering along and find yourself distracted by quest-laden NPCs running up to you or the sight of age old ruins promising treasure cropping up on the horizon? Well that's exactly what you can expect here. Zenimax seems hugely concerned with rewarding exploration, to the point where it's easy to forget what you were doing before said distractions reared up.

vs

It just feels so restricted. There may be a huge world out there, yes. But the in-game map does not make it feel like it. If you are in a town, the map will give you a small, enclosed view of where you are. You can select another map to check out other destinations. But nothing on these other maps is labelled or hinted at. There is just a chunk of world, criss-crossed with uniformly pale roads and peppered with samey circular ruins, none of which have any real intrigue about them. If the game wanted to create a sense of adventurous exploration, it fails the moment it does not give you the desire to tramp off in the direction of a mysteriously-named cove, or a creepy-looking swamp.[...] It is not much to ask of a series famed for its exploration to erect a visible, reachable mountain in the distance, or a vast forest, or an eerie, dried-up riverbed. Something (anything!) to peer at and say: That looks cool, let’s go there.

Story

It's with a near constant stream of well-told, sharply written and pleasingly winding stories that TESO will sell you on its world. From compact, tightly woven narratives that take you minutes to resolve, all the way to multi-threaded epic yarns spread across entire zones and involving huge casts of recurring characters. [...]  Tamriel provides a seemingly endless collection of tales that you can tap into and share.

vs

Even in Elder Scrolls terms (a series not exactly famed for its abundance of personable characters), the stories told here are mind-numbing. When they are not as dull as old boots they are clichéd and full of ‘twists’. The person you are looking for has been mysteriously murdered. The family member you are saving from the fire/baddies/curse is the one responsible for the fire/baddies/curse in the first place. On and on these plots reappear, seemingly without end. There are only so many times you can end up in a jail cell before you begin to gnash your teeth with as much madness as an actual prisoner. This (along with the deeply uninspired puzzle elements often included) makes a lot of the missions just as shallow as any fetch quest. The whole experience is drier than a bowl of un-milked muesli.

Combat

Compared with many MMOs, combat here feels more physical, with hits landing with an easily readable series of thwacks and grunts. Essentially you attack and defend through mouse clicks, just like you would a traditional Elder Scrolls game, though now you have access to six extra abilities at any set time.

Exchanging blows with foes is more active an experience than many MMOs, too. Area-of-effect attacks are projected onto the ground via throbbing red circles, cones and rectangles. Double tap a movement key and you can roll out of the way of incoming blows.

vs

Teamwork meant that my pal could take the heat off me as the tank but – beyond some buffing, dodging and basic counter-attacks – I found the combat to be a soulless barrage of button-tapping. A kind of dispassionate finger-twitch you develop in an effort to make enemy health bars drop faster. Despite the attempt to make the combat more physical (for example, with liberal use of area of effect attacks and blockable power strikes) you quickly revert to the standard brainlessness of cycling through the number keys until you find the combination of attacks that kills things fastest. I actually started to avoid fights, not because the enemies were too powerful or too numerous. Simply because it was so tedious. In a game were large chunks of your XP is supposed to come from slashing up millions of enemy mobs, this is not a good sign.

Lyn Farel

Having played it a bit more, both views seem reasonable to me, but too an extreme. I fell in between for all most of the time in my appreciation.

For exploration, well, I never played a solo ES before... But this MMO managed to make me explore willingly a bit more. Not that much though. I tend to do it regularly on most MMOs to see what's there, or more exactly, what could be there when the sight of it doesn't have any appeal. So yeah, some hidden stuff here and there to be found, definitely more than on your average bland MMO, but that's it.

Story wise, it's decent, really. A lot better than the bullshit, cliché, pubescent stories that you got served on swtor. Compared to most MMOs (where the level is abyssal on that point anyway), TESO is only second to TSW imo. A lot behind TSW though. The stories are interesting in TESO, and what makes it the most endearing is its atmosphere, but compared to TSW, the quality of writing plays on a very different level, sadly.

Combat, well, that's probably the point where i'm the less impressed. Everything feels dumbed down. I like their mechanic of attacking / parrying. But you barely use it since you spamm specials and abilities, like on any MMOs. And most of those do not seem so different from each other, without much synergy. Most of the system is easy to understand once you have started leveling and unlocking skills, but it's very hard for me to see for now what makes a combo of skill efficient or not. There is no real true synergy of various effects, and not much effects to begin with, behind. It's mostly dps, dot, heal... And the combat overall feels very fast repeating and boring as hell. Not even better visually than TSW, which was not very beautiful. And it's too easy. You spend your time oneshotting most mobs, with some bosses incredibly tedious to compensate... Not really designed for multiplayer gameplay...

Overall, while not totally enthralled by it, I have to admit that at least it made me play and kept me for now, as a decent casual entertainment.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2014, 13:05 by Lyn Farel »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

If you're enjoying the exploration in ESO, Lyn, you probably should pick up Skyrim and play around with that. It's not that expensive anymore.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

Actually, that's something I don't like in ESO. I feel constrained to explore because otherwise I wouldn't get those bonuses and rewards. It's extremely irritating to have that at the back of my mind and it loses really fast the enjoyment factor.

When I do it on other MMOs, it's mostly willingly because it's beautiful, not because I want to search every corner and turn back every stone to find if I haven't missed anything...  :bash:

Kala

• Egger

Having played it a bit more, both views seem reasonable to me, but too an extreme. I fell in between for all most of the time in my appreciation.

Hm, yeah.  The enviable middle ground  :)

I think some of the differences (as well as being different people) come in with what you compare it to...  Other MMOs or other elder scrolls games. 

Actually, that's something I don't like in ESO. I feel constrained to explore because otherwise I wouldn't get those bonuses and rewards. It's extremely irritating to have that at the back of my mind and it loses really fast the enjoyment factor.

When I do it on other MMOs, it's mostly willingly because it's beautiful, not because I want to search every corner and turn back every stone to find if I haven't missed anything...  :bash:

Oddly enough, I'm the opposite.  Well...I didn't in UO, or in EVE, but in a lot of MMOs I've played it's almost a frantic go-here-get-this-click-that-unlock next doodah-DING I GET A HORSE-go here.  I know it's part of the psychology of the linear quest lines (do this, get reward!) as well as the intrinsic materialism (NEW SHINY THING GOOD!) but also I think on some level there's an element of competitiveness.  Everyone rushing around doing the same sort of thing...Like I shouldn't fall behind or something. I'm not even sure  :|

In the elder scrolls games I stopped to sniff the flowers more.

Lyn Farel

But that's the damn issue, I don't even stop to sniff the damn flowers, I am literally freaking out because I might miss that shitty glowing stone that is hidden in the most incongruous places. I'm not actually exploring, i'm just playing hide and seek all the time. I'm not happily taking the time to enjoy the environment, and that's the damn irony here. :/

You don't make players enjoy exploring by hiding shinies for them to look for. If they like exploring, they will do it naturally if your landscape is nice.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2014, 16:20 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17