Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Welp, there goes all the Elder Scrolls players from the EVE community...  (Read 31679 times)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain

Sounds like someone read about "plot hooks" and took them literally...
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Random Sentience

"It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players."

"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world.
Yup.

I'll be skipping this installment.

Ursa Dropsus

• Clonejack

It's funny how Bethesda basically started with pure, undiluted awesome (Daggerfall wasn't technically the start of TES, but hey) and have just watered it down more and more over the years. It's like game development in reverse. Yeah, pretty dire.

Saw a few of the Content Developers I worked with at CCP go over to Zenimax Online. I can't say these were my favorite people. They always seemed to dislike the idea of taking the IP seriously; things like researching (and respecting) prior content and integrating it into the new were seen as unnecessary and excessive. It doesn't bode well for the MMO's IP to have them around, sadly. I'm sure that writing generic, fantasy content which ignores the last decade worth of IP development will be the perfect job for them, though.

I may be a little bitter today.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain

It's funny how Bethesda basically started with pure, undiluted awesome (Daggerfall wasn't technically the start of TES, but hey) and have just watered it down more and more over the years. It's like game development in reverse. Yeah, pretty dire.

Saw a few of the Content Developers I worked with at CCP go over to Zenimax Online. I can't say these were my favorite people. They always seemed to dislike the idea of taking the IP seriously; things like researching (and respecting) prior content and integrating it into the new were seen as unnecessary and excessive. It doesn't bode well for the MMO's IP to have them around, sadly. I'm sure that writing generic, fantasy content which ignores the last decade worth of IP development will be the perfect job for them, though.

=(

Feel better... I hope it isnt a crummy game, too. I like TES =(

Am sad now. Gonna go pod someone.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

Am sad now. Gonna go pod someone.

Did it cheer you up?

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain

They always seemed to dislike the idea of taking the IP seriously; things like researching (and respecting) prior content and integrating it into the new were seen as unnecessary and excessive.
* Myyona :rage:
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Kala

• Egger

Despite enjoying the subsequent games, particularly Morrowind, I feel the same way.  I pretty much echoed that on another forum:

"Daggerfall was a staggeringly ambitious game in terms of scope. What they attempted was ambitious for then (1996?) and it would still be ambitious now. I can’t help but think that Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are results of Bethesda learning what they could not do and scaling down accordingly.

[...]

Daggerfall was flawed genius in my mind, a diamond in the rough. Morrowind had soul as the game world lived and breathed. Oblivion was more of a technical accomplishment but seemed lacking in some of the elements that made the previous games special – the plot seemed under developed and obvious. And Skyrim…Well the addition of crafting is nice. And the dragons are cool, if abundant. The setting is credible. And they’ve finally made non-fugly characters. But…

Like Oblivion, it seems like as much as it’s gaining in technical excellence; shinier graphics etc, as the series progresses it’s losing its soul. Events don’t seem happenstance or random and nothing seems particularly dangerous once you reach a certain point. I’m not learning how to do things or learning things about people, as everything is told to me directly. This is a disenchanting machine doohickey, you use it to disenchant. I don’t need to ask around to find someone, their location will already be marked on my map. Etc. Everything is sign-posted and…I suppose that makes it feel slightly artificial. I don’t have to work or think to achieve my goals, and I’m not anticipating encountering anything I haven’t before, or a situation where I won’t know what to do. (Except puzzles. But I hate puzzles so that doesn’t count).

Anyway. I love the elder scrolls. I’ve poured hours into Oblivion and I do really enjoy Skyrim. It has tons of good points; is very involving and immersive, and is just about the only game I’m interested in at the moment. But it’s almost like as the technology increases, the size of the world decreases and the scope of the imagination, ambition and detail does as well."

(erm, just with more words >.>)

Imph.  In a way, that's actually more disturbing than the WoW-mechanics-level-cap stuff - though I'm unsurprised as from the list of stuff I posted many things seemed shoe-horned on for convenience rather than well-thought through. Such as the 3 main factions  :s

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

Ursa, Kala:

I think you folks may be putting a little bit of nostalgic gloss on Daggerfall. The scope was indeed vast, but as "diamonds in the rough" go, that one was pretty damn rough.

Where to begin....

How about with elevators you had to continually jump up and down on so they wouldn't leave you behind if the game paused to load in mid-ascent? Stairs you could fall straight through?

Worse, randomly-generated dungeons that could not be completed due to a broken "teleport" key, requiring you to exit one area via bug, levitate over to the other, isolated part of the dungeon, reenter via the same bug, acquire whatever you'd been sent for, and then teleport back?

Bethesda is famous for releasing massive works that are utterly crawling with bugs, and Daggerfall was certainly the case in point for years, but it's not as though bugs were all that was wrong. What about a character generator so very free-form that you could (and I did) create characters who could throw mega-powerful fireballs at their own toes, rapid-fire, powpowpow, and not only survive without a scratch but reabsorb all the magic while everybody around them perished?

What about an entire population of female townspeople ostentatiously drawn to appeal to the kind of pimple-pocked zombie who goes around groaning, "Boobs ..."? A Dark Brotherhood indistinguishable from the fighter's guild? A curse of lycanthropy that made you a decent werewolf if and only if you specialized in hand to hand? Arrows that were dependable only if fired at creatures that were on exactly the same vertical plane as you were?

Ten thousand identical liches to lay to rest? Old women in dire need of sleep mysteriously overlaid with town guards? Stores you could casually bust into with half-decent Lockpick, filled to the brim with ebony and daedric, whose shelves you could merrily offload into your cart, come back the next day and re-sell to the same merchant you robbed, then go do a quest, come back, and do it all again? A Sneak skill that fooled no one whose back wasn't to you-- with or without walls in the way? Ancient vampires that spawned at char lvl. 1, and could, would, and did insta-cast their entire spellbooks, reducing the player character to a pile of digital innards quivering on the dungeon floor?

More bugs, of a subtler but more devastating sort: a short (if intriguing), level-dependent main quest that broke half-- nay, ALL the time? Do you have any idea how many hours I poured into that game without ever being able to finish the half of the quest that didn't involve laying Lysandus to rest? And I only managed to lay him to rest once, for all eight or nine characters I raised to nigh-godly heights-- again, because the quests didn't activate....

I loved Daggerfall, in spite of all this, and I still want my gold pieces that actually have weight, my bank accounts, my letters of credit, my cart full of loot, and my skill-dependent guilds (last seen in Morrowind; reward for return, no questions asked). I definitely want my stupid ass to sink like a bag of gold ingots if I step into deep water in full ebony plate without bothering to purchase a Buoyancy spell. Seriously: daedric boots should work like concrete galoshes. Sleeping with the slaughterfish is an appropriate conclusion to going in swimming in 80 pounds of armor.

That, I miss. I also miss Morrowind's detailed storytelling (but not the lousy balancing of, for instance, Solstheim and Vardenfell) and interestingly alien setting, but I don't miss missing when I'd clearly scored a hit, or all the NPCs who never went to sleep. Nor do I miss nerfed-to-uselessness magic....

In the end, Oblivion and Skyrim are both simultaneously narrower than their predecessors and closer to living, breathing worlds. Being able to bust into a home and strip the shelves of belongings, fearing all the while that the owner is going to wake up and catch you in the act, is a world away from Daggerfall's ridiculously-profitable thievery. Stalking and killing a mark in a nigh-living city full of far more than buxom sprites may seem like a "technical" achievement, but from a stealth-game lover's perspective, it's an achievement that makes the difference between "assassinating" a lich with bad AI at the end of yet another dungeon crawl and neatly plucking one hapless townsperson out from under the watchful eyes of all the sheepdogs the count/jarl can hire.

And no, the Morag Tong in Morrowind wasn't a patch on that-- especially with those "writs of execution" that you could freely apply to any random citizen you pleased, whether s/he was your target or not.

Looking back, I have a few regrets (Bethesda, fix teh swimming, plz), but not bloody many. I like realistic bow-fire (Daggerfall-pfft; Morrwind-meh; Oblivion-decent; Skyrim-brilliant), solid stealth mechanics (ditto, on all counts), and worlds as "real" as they can be made.

Skyrim's not close to perfect, but it's a sight closer than Daggerfall. ... Minus the zero-mass gold and the "everybody swims like a naked Argonian" thing, of course. I feel little nostalgia for a nifty, yet irreparably broken, past.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2012, 23:37 by Aria Jenneth »

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain

Kala

• Egger

I think you folks may be putting a little bit of nostalgic gloss on Daggerfall. The scope was indeed vast, but as "diamonds in the rough" go, that one was pretty damn rough.

Where to begin....

I am very nostalgic for Daggerfall, but there's a reason for that  :P And yeah, I don't disagree, it was pretty damn rough.  In fact, at times, it took sheer bloody minded determination to keep reloading and playing through all the goddamned bugs which did make it virtually unplayable. Yet, I did, in spite of that - and I don't have much patience.  I can't think of a single other game I would have put up with all that bullshit for.

So yes, in terms of technical achievement, both in terms of graphics and in terms of not being buggy peices of crap, the games have improved vastly.  I'm not trying to undermine that, but the things I'm talking about are more abstract...

It's great that in Morrowind everything was drawn and not procedurally generated - but there was nothing like a Daggerfall dungeon in terms of some deep dark pit that you could get lost and killed in, and which monsters behind corners or coming out of doors would genuinely scare me.

The sense of risk (like the random spawn when you sleep) and perhaps the lack of help you recieved, contributed to the feeling of randomness and serendipity...is what I really miss.  I mean, summoning a daedra when you know nothing is kinda hard...iirc it needs to be on the right day.  It took years of playing before I ever stumbled across a witches covern, or found a witch randomly in a dungeon. You can't just show up at their shrine and get a quest from them.  It also took years before I ever saw a Daedra Lord mob - I don't know that they're particularly rare, it's just the way it seemed to go.

You can certainly argue the procedurally generated stuff and towns that looked the same, and all npcs (apart from main quest ones) having the same kind of shpiel felt shallow and empty...But I'm not entirely sure it's that simple.  Having all those people milling about as a faceless crowd actually felt more real to me in some respects.  Certainly more real than having the same little girl telling me she likes selling vegetables for the millionth time as I walk by.

When I first read the Daggerfall manual there was a letter at the front that was something of a revelation to me at the time, explaining that their goal was freedom of choice for the player.  You have so much choice when you make a character, so many different skills (granted, some of which are useless, but I like that too tbh) and I kind of feel that's narrowed as the series has gone on.  Not really because it's lost throwaway skills like learning dragonish, or climbing that would often bug out - it's what I mean about it being ambitious I suppose.  Subsequent games feel considerably less ambituous as they've gone along...

...In Oblivion, Skyrim and (and now apparently this mmo) everything is trying so hard to be 'epic' and cast you in the hero role...the main quests feel far more obstrusive, with Oblivion gates opening and dragons flying about...

I suppose ultimately I feel, yes, Daggerfall was so ambitious in scope and imagination but ultimately limited (or crippled, depending on your view) by practical, technical things - such as bugs.  So we get to the point where we have better technology and can do things better, so this should enable us to extend the scopes of our imagination accordingly as the limits of what we can do technologically lessen.  But it seems like - since Daggerfall - there's been less ambition and scope instead of more, and things have simplified or streamlined and just got...easier and more predictable.

(and don't get me wrong, the Elder Scrolls series are still great compared to most games, it just seems like a general trend to me)

« Last Edit: 14 May 2012, 05:37 by Kala »

Desiderya

Well, regarding Daggerfall I kind of share the feeling.
So, quote time, again. This one haunts me all the time, for being so appropriate. :(

Quote from: A. Huxley - Brave New World
"Violent Passion Surrogate. Regularly once a month. We flood the whole system with adrenalin. It's the complete physiological equivalent of fear and rage. All the tonic effects of murdering Desdemona and being murdered by Othello, without any of the inconveniences."
"But I like the inconveniences."
"We don't," said the Controller. "We prefer to do things comfortably."
"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave

Thread's moved on somewhat but to go back to the "Why people so bleh on it" it's not hipster for me.

My issue is Bethesda make amazing single player sandboxes that work regardless of your style of play, if you want to grind out a min/max powergamer spec and then annihilate ALL THE THINGS you can do. If you want to hack and slash out the storyline, you can do. If you want to be a rogue/mage/wizard jack of all trades, you can do. If you want to just nick a horse and spend days exploring everything, you can do.

The mainstream MMO does not allow for half of those, and only really rewards one. This reminds me of my concerns with Bioware and ToR, they can make an amazing single player game and are great at telling a story and making you THE HERO. But they couldn't incorporate it well into a MP scenario.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Thread's moved on somewhat but to go back to the "Why people so bleh on it" it's not hipster for me.

My issue is Bethesda make amazing single player sandboxes that work regardless of your style of play, if you want to grind out a min/max powergamer spec and then annihilate ALL THE THINGS you can do. If you want to hack and slash out the storyline, you can do. If you want to be a rogue/mage/wizard jack of all trades, you can do. If you want to just nick a horse and spend days exploring everything, you can do.

The mainstream MMO does not allow for half of those, and only really rewards one. This reminds me of my concerns with Bioware and ToR, they can make an amazing single player game and are great at telling a story and making you THE HERO. But they couldn't incorporate it well into a MP scenario.

This. Just like SWTOR turned out, this game's RPG bits will suffer because of the MMO bits, and vice versa. Personally, I haven't even bothered giving thought to whether or not I want to play it. Right now, I don't even have time in my day to day life to set skills training.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran

On Daggerfall:

Eh-- there was indeed something to be said for the truly random dungeons that were often unnavigable without either a high Climb or Levitate. Never mind that it made certain types of character nigh-unplayable until you loaded them down with navigation-friendly magic items.

On "epic": Daggerfall apparently concluded with the Warp in the West, which was pretty damned epic. Arena, Daggerfall's predecessor, was arguably the most epic of the games to date, dealing as it did with Jagar Tharn and the Imperial Simulacrum. I'd argue that the whole series has been, actually, pretty damn epic, especially at the high-level end. Oblivion and Skyrim do drop it in your lap a bit more, though (although both also allow you to duck it by declining to follow the main quest right off the bat).

I do miss Daggerfall's scale....

How to put it?

Daggerfall felt like a full-scale nation, but only a sketch of one, with few faces standing out from the randomly-generated crowd (I remember Gortwog and company fondly).

Morrowind, in some ways, hit a sweet spot: it felt like a modestly-sized region with its own alien culture, traditions, etc., and it portrayed its alien setting beautifully. Daggerfall's random dungeons may have produced a higher "eep" factor, but it never gave me a tenth of the immersion or sense of awe and dread I felt climbing past the Ghost Fence to face Dagoth Ur.

Oblivion was a massive improvement in mechanics (without even touching graphics), but felt less like a nation than a small region, much like Vardenfell in Morrowind-- only less-populated, with small villages pretending to be major cities. Skyrim suffers this same malady. The small, highly-developed population serves as an abstraction for an implied larger, unseen one (surely, bandits and necromancers don't actually outnumber the general population?). The culture is better-portrayed in Skyrim.

I still find it extremely difficult to go back. I like my arcing arrows and decent AI.

Now, if Bethesda felt like remaking Morrowind using Skyrim's mechanics....

On the MMO:

If their mechanics resemble WoW ... nope. Not even a little bit interested (though there is some appeal to sneak-attacking hostile PCs with poison-tipped arrows of godawfulness, I'm sure that won't be even a quarter as deadly as it sounds. Balance issues, and that).
« Last Edit: 14 May 2012, 11:08 by Aria Jenneth »

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!

Now, if Bethesda felt like remaking Morrowind using Skyrim's mechanics....

Yes! :)

Game development is obviously all about the compromises, especially the technological restrictions in force at the time. I'd very much like to see old material revisited with the benefit of better hardware. In many ways early 3D is more unplayable than older games, and some straight remakes without 'streamlining' or 'making more accessible' or 'broadening the appeal' or any of the other weaselly euphemistic terms for 'making the game dumber than a sack of rocks' that abound these days would be so very welcome.

As for this TESO thing, well, in the early 2000s, I would have been intrigued by the possibilities of an Elder Scrolls MMO. Excited, even. Because the scope for interesting shit to occur is immense. Just think on what it could have been...

These days, though, if I hear 'MMO' then I think turgid by-the-numbers WoW clone. BORING. And you know what? That always proves to be the case. Sure, millions of people have subscribed for WoW, but it's still a fucking awful game. Millions of people can be wrong and they often are. Wisdom of the crowd my fucking arse. Just look to the glorious world of television and the terrible terrible lowest common denominator shit that people watch, and all those terrible terrible newspapers that survive by pandering to that same audience. WoW is Big Brother and The X Factor combined and it has probably killed the MMO genre completely. I hope all of you that played it feel dirty and ashamed for what you have done.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17