Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Hak'len (AKA Kresh liquor) is toxic to non-Caldari?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pirates, Pirates never change.  (Read 6694 times)

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
Pirates, Pirates never change.
« on: 19 Apr 2012, 14:49 »

Hello all, I suppose this is more just a general idea currently rather than a fully fleshed out one.

First let me just say, I'm an alt, but I won't be a troll alt.

Outline of my idea

I want to make a non-aligned, megalomaniacal, of no particular faction other than his own, akin to Jonas Simbacca and his pirate clans. Or as my mind puts it, honorable, in his own way, pirate corp. I see the threads of Skadi's call, Teraa Matar, EM, not to mention KOTMC, and other anti-pirate organizations. These people are active in space, active in RP, and active in general, but I feel that at least part of their charter at least rp wise, is left unfulfilled. For desires of my own RP needs, I want to fulfill that.

Now there are likely ~300 Pirate corps, but of those how many of them are active RPers, or have active RPers in theater, killing, or at least fighting against these anti-pirates. That's my concept I guess, in a nutshell.

A pirate RP corp that is also active in space and willing to kill and be killed when caught, meanwhile being autonomous from estabished factions, a bit of a cult of personality for lack of a better term (I might have to find someone with personality to form the cult behind later).

Suggestions?

(I will update this as I think about it more and flesh it out more.) :cube:
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: Pirates, Pirates never change.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2012, 15:03 »

Personally, I'd love it!

Having an enemy we can shot who are actually willing to RP back at us would be wonderful :)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2012, 15:16 »

Well thank you Kala! I thought it would be interesting for that interaction alone. Just to add another dimension that is not Amarr and not Minmatar, but still evil. A bit like playing the dark space between stars, not really in the light and not truly dark, but just a dark, bloody medium that's not afraid to fight both sides. I will also say it would be nice to enjoy some of the RP around this as well.

Further stipulations would be:
  • Pirates in this corp would be honourable. Meaning, they would honour ransoms 1v1's and pre-arranged duels and to some level respect for the elusive 'gf.'
  • Local would need to be moderately IC for them, at least in the terms of ransom's and smacktalk.
  • Local would not be restricted for these pirates, because after all their remarks could just be crazy rants.

The more I think about this idea the more I like it and also the more I realize how difficult it will be to pull off properly. Ah well, can't fail if you don't try.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2012, 15:20 »

So basically a decent pirate corp that is not aligned with any of the PF pirate factions? That's be pretty awesome actually. Pirate capsuleers by pirate capsuleers, for pirate capsuleers. For all those people that just don't fit in (or don't want to) anywhere else...

A lot of self-defining will be needed, which means a lot of work on the part of the creator. Or minmimal work if you want it to grow organically. Just set the permise and start recruiting.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2012, 18:47 »

Its an absolutely excellent idea.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2012, 19:44 »

Good luck with this!
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2012, 02:07 »

I just can't take pirates seriously, IC. Capsuleer pirates shoot other capsuleers, with or without CONCORD's blessing, without actually having an impact on anything. Outside of nullsec and to a lesser degree the militias, there's very little impact from any PvP beyond the loss of a ship or ISK in the form of ransoms. Since pirates thus do nothing that pretty much any combat pilot does anyway, I can't really take any characters/corps that puts piracy (or anti-piracy for that matter) as the primary building block/motivation seriously at all.

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2012, 04:38 »

With the impending changes to the wardec mechanics, aggression in general and the introduction of a real and practical mercenary market "pirates" should be able to be taken seriously.

"Pirate" is a term too easily thrown around though. A simple ganking is not piracy unless done for actual profit (salvage) as opposed to KB Isk efficiency. Gate camps could maybe be considered a form of piracy if the blockade is cutting off a system or constellation at a choke point. Trade routes being harassed by roaming gangs of blaggards and rapscallions could be seen as being plagued by piracy.

But Mizhara is right. Capsuleers shooting each other in the face while shouting out the occasional "Yarr!" in local is not really piracy.
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2012, 06:02 »

Depends on the point of view. For me they are, and I see no difference at all besides the means and methods involved. The goal may not be profit driven but killboard/epeen driven, they still shoot people and loot what's left of them. For me, its piracy and it fits to the definition. Be it ICly or OOCly, I hold more or less the same views, the only difference being that ICly my character despises it so much that she has become a dangerously rigid vigilante, and OOCly I want to see more RP pirates like explained by the OP.

So yes, I think it is a good idea. We certainly do not lack of pirates and NBSI and people shooting at everything that moves in lowsec, we certainly do not lack of RP pirate faction aligned entities either, but we definitly lack of real, nasty RP pirates, with a real pirate feel. One of the only corporation that makes me feel that unique pirate atmosphere is Stillwater, even if a bit different, is definitly shady and dirty under the rug.

+1

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:30 »

I just can't take pirates seriously, IC. Capsuleer pirates shoot other capsuleers, with or without CONCORD's blessing, without actually having an impact on anything. Outside of nullsec and to a lesser degree the militias, there's very little impact from any PvP beyond the loss of a ship or ISK in the form of ransoms. Since pirates thus do nothing that pretty much any combat pilot does anyway, I can't really take any characters/corps that puts piracy (or anti-piracy for that matter) as the primary building block/motivation seriously at all.

Excellent feedback Mizhara.

I think the question here is really the RP surrounding piracy. First, when I think Pirate I don't think fancy-gentleman, or noble sea-wanderer like the romanticized versions of piracy we see from the 18th century (Jack Sparrow anyone?)

I see more of a line between what I am shooting for here and Somali pirates on eastern African/Mylasian Pirates. Opportunists to the extreme, looking to make a profit, forced by circumstance to do what they feel they must in order to survive.

Piracy might be a bit poor choice of words for this, but really the underworld feel is what is lacking. I'm not sure how I will avoid falling into something that could be considered laughable, or unrealistic. Gymir isn't going to be Jack Sparrow, nor Blackbeard. He's going to consider himself a privateer, and if you happen to end up in his sights, all the more is your fault. Pirates rarely call themselves pirates after all. It comes down to how everyone sees themselves. I don't want to make yet another "We say Yarr so we are pirates" corp. I'm looking to make something unique, that doesn't incorporate the word "yarr." In fact, by-law one, no ransom demands will start with "Yarr I'm a pirate."

Miz, your reasoning is good, but then does any RP group really have any major impact that you can IC take seriously in Eve? If so who do you take seriously and why? I want to know so I can see what conditions or reasoning behind that and use that as driving factors to build this corp idea. Thanks in advance.

Piracy is an area where Eve is certainly lacking. For instance, would it be closer to Piracy if I ambushed trade convoys in highsec as well as hunted capsuleers in lowsec? That is something I already plan to do. What about destroying Ishukone Navy and Mordu NPC's in or around Intaki? I think there's a station there that still has them. Ideally pirates prey on the weak, and operate alone or in small groups. I don't consider Shadow Cartel traditional pirates, especially not now, they are just low-sec pvpers. Think Tuskers/Bastards but with a lot more stable RP base. Nothing against either of them, but we are talking about a corp built around Piracy and RP. These would be people who are drawn to individual power. Not power granted by some government or higher authority. But power built by the force of their guns and the reach of their arms. For all values of guns and arms.

I expect to start small, aka just myself, and establish the kind of corp and the kind of piracy I want to establish before opening up general recruitment. If I find people along the way who want to join in, I might consider them, but like I said, this is just a rough idea, and every response you guys give me (thank you all very much by the way) gives me more to hone the idea and get an idea of what I want it to be and what it should be.

Man I feel like I am rambling so I will stop here.
-Buddha

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:32 »

Depends on the point of view. For me they are, and I see no difference at all besides the means and methods involved. The goal may not be profit driven but killboard/epeen driven, they still shoot people and loot what's left of them. For me, its piracy and it fits to the definition. Be it ICly or OOCly, I hold more or less the same views, the only difference being that ICly my character despises it so much that she has become a dangerously rigid vigilante, and OOCly I want to see more RP pirates like explained by the OP.

So yes, I think it is a good idea. We certainly do not lack of pirates and NBSI and people shooting at everything that moves in lowsec, we certainly do not lack of RP pirate faction aligned entities either, but we definitly lack of real, nasty RP pirates, with a real pirate feel. One of the only corporation that makes me feel that unique pirate atmosphere is Stillwater, even if a bit different, is definitly shady and dirty under the rug.

+1

Thank you Lyn, Then I look forward to facing you in space sometime in the future!

Who are the Stillwater people, a good move would be for me to talk to them and find out what they are doing to create that atmosphere. Thanks!
-Buddha

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:40 »

Once upon a time...

Also, argh not this discussion again. How is SHOOTING THINGS, OFFERING RANSOMS AND TAKING THEIR STUFF not piracy if divorced from the typical political ideologies?

My personal take (IC and OOC) has always been this: I am a pirate, my crew are pirates, and I don't give a fuck what you say. You tell me "omg you are not a pirate". Okay. Whatever. Pew pew loot profit. Yarr.

Jev North

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:43 »

Quite.

We do not expect you to like us. We do not need you to understand us. We only demand you explode and leave us your shiny modules.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:51 »

Word.

I think piracy not having a huge impact is just about how it should be. If it's about having a measurable impact, it's starting to get divorced from piracy and going into the realm of politics where the term is indeed starting to lose its meaning.

Pirates have an impact on the single pilots they engage. Now, you're not much of a pirate unless you actually make them explode or pay their ransoms more often than not. So as the number of those single pilots starts going up, your reputation starts going up. And let me tell you... reputation is big for pirates, in an RP sense as well as an OOC gamey sense.

So, the only impact a pirate should care about is their own welfare. You don't have to bring down corps, nations, ideologies to make it as a pirate. If you do it, keep doing it and are not forced to stop, without much or at all needing to resort to another means of income, you're doing okay in my book. Beyond that, your results and (dis)satisfied customers will speak for themselves, while you lean back, lay low, have a cigar and drink your rum.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2012, 10:53 by GoGo Yubari »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2012, 11:00 »

It's a notoriously wide and hard-to-label affiliation, and the word is thrown about far too often.

If you want this to work it will be 100% up to your IC characterizations, motivations, and interactions with other RP corporations, since the PVP part won't be any different. Lots of room to make this work and fun.

I'd also recommend you burn to -9.9 sec status immediately and forswear ever entering highsec as part of your IC. Outlaws shouldn't be in highsec anyway, certainly if its the main part of your organization.

IE if I see someone calling themselves a pirate outlaw and not flashy red in local, they sound a bit paper-tiger.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4