Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Pirates, Pirates never change.  (Read 6690 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: Pirates, Pirates never change.
« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2012, 10:54 »

As an aside, Silas, are there any IC high sec corps that would be worth it to dec? I think Gymir is more saying something along the lines of setting up a story-arc between separate RP corps, not just establishing a reputation as a Pirate.

Could go for one of the non-militia Gallente alliances?  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2012, 10:57 »

I mentioned in another thread sometime, but I also think some super opportunities for some 'law and oder' type Gallente RP corps.  Investigative Criminal sorts of things, police-actions, etc.  Cops and Robbers, yes? : )

Or I think the original idea was a Gallente noir capsuleer private detective. Solving crimes and mysteries : )

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 Apr 2012, 05:13 »

Just pondering this.

A lot of real-life criminal organisations ostensibly start as defenders of some group of poor people. Or so they like to claim.  The Yakuza claim this and so does the Cosa Nostra. The Somali pirates referenced earlier claim they started as fishermen being cheated of their living by foreign boats fishing in their waters, not to mention illegal waste dumping and suchlike.

So. What if a capsuleer is from a largely poor populace, or has ties to same? The pirate group starts with the declared intent that it is defending it's baseliners from a capsuleer threat of some kind. Now I think of it, the antagonists in Clear Skies 3 come to mind. If you pick an area of FW low-sec you could easily rage against the contending militias on this basis alone.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 22 Apr 2012, 06:41 »

Thats quite a good idea.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 22 Apr 2012, 07:38 »

Just pondering this.

A lot of real-life criminal organisations ostensibly start as defenders of some group of poor people. Or so they like to claim.  The Yakuza claim this and so does the Cosa Nostra. The Somali pirates referenced earlier claim they started as fishermen being cheated of their living by foreign boats fishing in their waters, not to mention illegal waste dumping and suchlike.

So. What if a capsuleer is from a largely poor populace, or has ties to same? The pirate group starts with the declared intent that it is defending it's baseliners from a capsuleer threat of some kind. Now I think of it, the antagonists in Clear Skies 3 come to mind. If you pick an area of FW low-sec you could easily rage against the contending militias on this basis alone.

This has its ups and downs. The problem is, as has already been referenced in the thread, that capsuleers can by no means be considered poor, so all options along that line don't suit. Then again it can be, as you imply, defending other poor folks from basically capsuleer exploitation. There are a few other ideological points where a similar thing can be done.

I'll bring up two examples.

Intaki separatism of the early type, which is what I used as part of my own exploits in the early years of Eve (along with a "pro-continuation war with the Gallente" philosopghy for the Caldari who joined up). The unique situation, with Placid as low sec, gave that possibility and later elaborations on it have established that this is in no small part due to Intaki demands which made it all the more sweeter (coincidence that it turned out that way after me starting it up as basically an excuse to pirate? think not).

The second obvious area is Minmatar resistance fighters, who start out fighting the Amarr, blame the Republic for basically surrendering in the face of the enemy, and refusing to stop all out war against the Empire. Now, without Republic support, all-out-war is really out of the question and boom, very soon the ideology loosens and piracy sets hold. I guess Ushra'Khan kinda did this, but they never allowed themselves to plunge into proper piracy.

But you could do it with almost any ideology. The more oomph it has the better, though, because it resonates with a larger part of the player base. You could rebel against a local corp strip mining your belts, but it is less epic (though it might be exactly what you want). The Minmatar thing is spelled out clearly in PF. At the time, the Intaki thing wasn't, but I felt it was implied or at least that the empty space around what was known fit. One could go for something a little more obscure, too.

I think key is keeping the ideological hold pretty tenuous (which includes allowing its influence in setting objectives, choosing enemies, making GalNet threads). It is replaced by the "ideological" components of piracy. Former freedom fighters/terrorists become independent freebooters spitting in the face of all authority, feeling betrayed and abandoned by their original ideologies. The old ideology lies there in the background, submerged, giving depth and complexity, but it isn't the driving force. Otherwise, they are gonna say "you are not a pirate!" (they'll say that anyway) and you will feel a sting in your heart. Your heart must be cold, black and unfeeling. Piracy and the life-style that choice implies is what's what.

So, here's the formula:
1) Take an ideology or cause
2) Enforcers of said ideology
3) Betrayal or abandonment by their own
4) Choosing piracy out of necessity and spite
5) Embracing the freedom of the pirate lifestyle

That worked for me and if I were to do it again... I'd prolly go the Minnie route myself.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2012, 07:45 »

Just pondering this.

This has its ups and downs. The problem is, as has already been referenced in the thread, that capsuleers can by no means be considered poor, so all options along that line don't suit. Then again it can be, as you imply, defending other poor folks from basically capsuleer exploitation. There are a few other ideological points where a similar thing can be done.

I'll bring up two examples.

Intaki separatism of the early type, which is what I used as part of my own exploits in the early years of Eve (along with a "pro-continuation war with the Gallente" philosopghy for the Caldari who joined up). The unique situation, with Placid as low sec, gave that possibility and later elaborations on it have established that this is in no small part due to Intaki demands which made it all the more sweeter (coincidence that it turned out that way after me starting it up as basically an excuse to pirate? think not).

The second obvious area is Minmatar resistance fighters, who start out fighting the Amarr, blame the Republic for basically surrendering in the face of the enemy, and refusing to stop all out war against the Empire. Now, without Republic support, all-out-war is really out of the question and boom, very soon the ideology loosens and piracy sets hold. I guess Ushra'Khan kinda did this, but they never allowed themselves to plunge into proper piracy.

But you could do it with almost any ideology. The more oomph it has the better, though, because it resonates with a larger part of the player base. You could rebel against a local corp strip mining your belts, but it is less epic (though it might be exactly what you want). The Minmatar thing is spelled out clearly in PF. At the time, the Intaki thing wasn't, but I felt it was implied or at least that the empty space around what was known fit. One could go for something a little more obscure, too.

I think key is keeping the ideological hold pretty tenuous (which includes allowing its influence in setting objectives, choosing enemies, making GalNet threads). It is replaced by the "ideological" components of piracy. Former freedom fighters/terrorists become independent freebooters spitting in the face of all authority, feeling betrayed and abandoned by their original ideologies. The old ideology lies there in the background, submerged, giving depth and complexity, but it isn't the driving force. Otherwise, they are gonna say "you are not a pirate!" (they'll say that anyway) and you will feel a sting in your heart. Your heart must be cold, black and unfeeling. Piracy and the life-style that choice implies is what's what.

So, here's the formula:
1) Take an ideology or cause
2) Enforcers of said ideology
3) Betrayal or abandonment by their own
4) Choosing piracy out of necessity and spite
5) Embracing the freedom of the pirate lifestyle

That worked for me and if I were to do it again... I'd prolly go the Minnie route myself.

The formula seems good to me.

Interesting to note also that freedom fighters are considered as outlaws by CONCORD. Which is even more interesting because freedom fighting is allowed by CONCORD in the proper FW areas (militia emergency power act).

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #36 on: 22 Apr 2012, 08:18 »

What a great idea, this actually does make quite a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things, and if I follow some Miz advice and sprinkle a little GoGo Yubari's idea on there it could really become a solid concept for the creation of the corp.

Gymir could have come from a poorer section of Lowsec or hell, even minmatar highsec, and be looking out for his neighborhood, or trying to protect it, but eventually is just unable to keep up the 'good fight.'

This would really detract from trying to setup Gymir as a seedy underworld type without substantially more catalysts driving him to worse and worse decisions. I'll admit it is a little daunting seeing all these idea's flowing and so many of them being good ideas  :cube:
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2012, 17:15 »

Just to clarify.

I'm not talking about a pilot being from a poor background themselves. Although, in the core areas that are desperate for more pilots widespread testing for pod compatibility and scholarships might justify even that.

I'm mainly thinking of someone who, for some reason, empathises with the plight of a group of underclass folk.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #38 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:41 »

Taking a leaf from Aldrith Shutaq, it seemed like a good idea to list some homework and thoughts for myself.

:bash:
Things that need to be solidified before corp creation.
  • Create a corp name that fits with backstory idea's at this time
  • Define ROE under pirate rulesets
  • Define corp style (democratic pirates are the most believable)
  • Locate corp home system, early candidates are Vlillirier, Roushzar, Isbrabata, among others <Suggestions needed>
  • Create Pirate channel/OOC channel/etc
  • bug other current pirates about "stuff"
Character background stuffs
  • Define Gymir backstory (other than his whole one bio quote)
  • research starting a blog for my adventures :if bored enough:
  • Contact parties about joint RP ventures for pirate corp, get things started as it were.

Post-corp start up
  • Create/fund killboard and ransom board if possible
  • Setup voice comms
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 24 Apr 2012, 13:10 »

Yaaay, I so smarts :D

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 24 Apr 2012, 15:27 »

I love this idea.

RP enemies, best enemies, especially when goodfights are to be had!

\0/

Ava has entirely too few enemies (RP ones anyway, love Gunpoint and r1fta, both of whom seem to be drifting slowly to more IC shenannigans) that she "respects". Gimme!

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #41 on: 27 Apr 2012, 14:08 »

Need some idea's for the corp name? Or at least some way to go with it, I keep thinking about it but I can only come up with trite, stupid names. Or worse, examples are below. Now usually I wouldn't ask this, but I am quite honestly writers blocked on this one :(

Ghost Dogs
Blood Fist
Space Rats (makes me want to say YARRRRRRR, and wow that's bad.)
oh god save me from myself!
-Buddha

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #42 on: 27 Apr 2012, 14:16 »

Cake Mice. *nodnod*

Or Pastry/Baked Goods Rodents.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #43 on: 27 Apr 2012, 14:24 »

Show me the cheese!  :yar:
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 Apr 2012, 14:59 »

Need some idea's for the corp name? Or at least some way to go with it, I keep thinking about it but I can only come up with trite, stupid names. Or worse, examples are below. Now usually I wouldn't ask this, but I am quite honestly writers blocked on this one :(

Ghost Dogs
Blood Fist
oh god save me from myself!

Well your first suggestion immediately made me think of this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165798/

So maybe not such a bad idea after all?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4