Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter founded Synenose Accord, a capsuleer corporation dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of w-space and the Sleeper AI?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Knighthood of the Merciful Crown - WiP Brainstorm Thread  (Read 29039 times)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain

Hello all,

For those of you familiar with me, my unsubbed character and my former corp, hi! Yeah, I've been lurking for a while and I'm started to get EVE itchy again. However, I have vowed to only return if I am happy with the changes in FW and the war declaration mechanic promised in Inferno. That said, me coming back will mean (hopefully) dusting off the Knighthood and doing something with it again. I am starting this thread to lay out some of my ideas for its new incarnation and use you all as a sounding board to gague their merits and your interest in joining/allying/interacting with/opposing the corp. Depending on the results, I may try to recruit a few of you to help me with the corp, or just simply go ::effort:: and end up rejoining PIE to get my EVE rocks off.

This thread will be purposely vague on some of the RP details of KotMC's proposed return, since nobody likes spoilers in any story. I'll start with some thoughts on the old incarnation of the corp, and what I've been wanting to change.

Old KotMC

Before my abrupt departure from the game, caused mainly by apathy and frustration towards the game, KotMC was a thriving Amarr FW RP/PvP corp. It held quite a few prominent RP'ers, quite a few more decent PvP players, and had gained some modest noteriety (or imfamy!) on both levels. With a 50-odd member count, it was thriving, but fundamentally disjointed and awkward on many IC and OOC levels. The IC factors (odd liberal Amarrian ideas, the taking on of just about anyone willing to fight, ect.) were fun to play around with and enjoyable for the most part, but also seemed to lack a few things. However, the RP flaws could have been fixed, and didn't warrant the dumping of the proverbial bucket that I ended up doing to it. My reasons for popping the corp and leaving were OOC, but connected with role play attitudes, rules and how it should affect gameplay.

In the end, its success was its downfall: so many non-RP PvP players got into it that most simply didn't want to be bound by IC based rules, like a RoE. Simply put, I did not like this fact and, while it was my fault it had happened in the first place, I ended the corp and told everyone to find new homes based on how they wanted to play the game. In retrospect it was selfish, but I wouldn't be able to sit right with stepping down and letting others turn KotMC into a bland sorta-RPish militia corp with a soul completely different from what I had originally intended it to be.

What that was was a RP-centric corp that kicked ass at PvP and had a smallish, tightly knit member base that shared a common theme with the corp itself, that of being new-age warriors bound by a code of morality like the knights the corp derives its name from. I never got around to this because I was too lazy to write the fluff for it and too lenient to slap people around if they didn't conform like good little Amarrian bishes, but this will be my goal for the new version of the Knighthood. Should I ever get to it, that is.

New KotMC

Purpose

The Knighthood of the Merciful Crown will be repurposed from an FW RP corp to something more flexible and less over-done. Basically, while it will continue to fight in FW, it will also concentrate its military power against particular corps and individuals it deems as 'evil'. I plan on having a rather sensible (if not over-the-top noble) code of morality for the corp, and not just based on a straight Amarrian religious mold. Though God and Glory will play a big part in it, the code will sincerely attempt to protect decent people (despite race and religion) and hinder the efforts of EVE's many 'bad guys'. However, it will have a fairly ruthless flavor as it goes about pursuing this end, fitting in with a battlecry I came up with for the Knighthood quite a while back: "No mercy for the merciless".  This will hopefully lend the corp a distincly dark, EVE-ish take on the old white knight formula.

I don't believe there are many space viglante groups out there that try to consistently and relentlessly stab 'bad people' in the face, so hopefully this will be an interesting formula. Please do correct me if I am wrong in this assumption, however. Additionally, improvements on the wardec mechanic are a necessity for this to work IMO, hence why Inferno's improvments will dictate whether I do this or not.

Membership

Recruitment will be much more selective, almost to the point where it will be invite-only. Players will be admitted based on how well they are seen in the eyes of the Knighthood, this judgment being based on how strong their personality is, how upright they are as people, and how well they fight in space. It will not be expressley based on race and religion, but being an Amarrian and believing in God will help a lot. However, what it will basically be looking for will be good people who are good at fighting.

Obviously this will keep membership very limited. That is the intent, as I do not want the corp blowing up to uncontrolable proportions again, to the point where few members have anything in common with each other. Think Arthur's Round Table as opposed to a massive army. Small, dedicated and elite. I also find that this setting is the best to RP in, so hopefully this will be more fun in that department too.

Flavor

Expanding on what was said in the purpose section, KotMC will have two distinct flavors: one very light, and one very dark. I plan on having members be held to strict code of ethics that are akin to chivalry and bushido, and for them to act with a certain air of nobility and dignity. They do not have to be impeccable in their behavior, but decent to the point where someone would trust them watching their house for an afternoon. This will contrast with the wrath incurred when someone does not behave quite so well as they do.

Justice and revenge are going to be big themes within the new corp. Where the line is drawn will be very blurry, and figuring out what acts are motivated by a logical intent to create a better capsuleer society, and pure, blood-mad hatred will be difficult to outsiders.
For example, the corp will have a set of rules dictating what to do with POW's. Prisoners captured from different ship wrecks will be subject to different rules based on what capsuleer they were serving at the time the Knighthood decided to pop them. Minmatar militia prisoners will be enslaved, but will be up for honorable prisoner exchanges with respected enemies.  Pirate prisoners will also be enslaved, but without the possibility of prisoner exchange. Or be hung. Amarrian traitor prisoners will have their heads chopped off. War criminals will be crucified. Violent heretics will be tied to sticks and set on fire. I think you get the jist of things. All mass-executions can be public RP events too, so bring the kids! By the way, aren't medieval execution methods fascinating?

*ahem* So yeah, that could be fun! This opens up a lot of RP opportunities as well, such as people trying to free their former crews from KotMC imprisonment through negotiation or force, interrupting executions, or being captured, tried and executed themselves! Of course as capsuleers there will be no practical point to this since everyone is immortal, but Amarrians have never been about practicality. It's the principle of the thing!

This is just one example where a nice mix of honorable cruelty can come into play. Many more things are possible, they just need to be thought of.

Political Issues

The old KotMC was always supposed to be politically neutral on many issues ranging from slavery to what color the Empress's underwear was, however it ended up not so much... Its members were outspoken and a clear majority reigned in its ranks, which inevitably tinged its perception. Members will still possess freedom of opinion and speech, but KotMC itself will be more strongly defined as neutral party in itself. End slavery? Meh. Carry on the Old Reclaiming? Yeah, yeah. Minmatar Tribalism vs. Republicanism? The fuh... The finer points of a subjective reality in which all people are right in their own special way? What is this, I don't even...

Individual members will be left to decide on their own what they feel about these issues, and touting them to others will be considered basically a rather un-humble waste of breath. KotMC as a whole will act, not speak, and when it does speak what it says will matter because an act will soon follow. You might not even know you pissed off the Knighthood until you get the wardec mail.

KotMC as an entity will be interested in the following:

• Defining the right thing for itself
  • Doing the right thing
  • Fighting those who don't do that

It will NOT be interested in:

• Whatever they are whining about today on the IGS
  • Pandering to other's opinions of what is right and wrong
  • Faffing about with futile argumentation when there's heads to chop

In essence, less this:

Moar this:

And f**k yo little yappy dog too!

So anyway, these are the initial ideas I am toying with. More to come perhaps later.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2012, 03:10 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Knighthood of the Merciful Crown
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2012, 22:48 »

Hope this works out! 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:51 »

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. :D
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2012, 05:29 »

Good luck man.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2012, 05:46 »

I have been more active in the other side of Eve RP for a while - focusing of the Gallente/Caldari front, but I always admired KotMC from a distance. You guys were always my "Corp-I-Would-Join-If-Everything-I've-Built-Went-To-Shit".

I was sad to hear that you disbanded, but I'd be very happy to hear of it all starting up again. Good luck.

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2012, 07:13 »

The enemy returns!

I look forward to this greatly. I think great things will become of it.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Desiderya

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2012, 07:21 »

Justice and revenge are going to be big themes within the new corp. Where the line is drawn will be very blurry, and figuring out what acts are motivated by a logical intent to create a better capsuleer society, and pure, blood-mad hatred will be difficult to outsiders.
For example, the corp will have a set of rules dictating what to do with POW's. Prisoners captured from different ship wrecks will be subject to different rules based on what capsuleer they were serving at the time the Knighthood decided to pop them. Minmatar militia prisoners will be enslaved, but will be up for honorable prisoner exchanges with respected enemies.  Pirate prisoners will also be enslaved, but without the possibility of prisoner exchange. Or be hung. Amarrian traitor prisoners will have their heads chopped off. War criminals will be crucified. Violent heretics will be tied to sticks and set on fire. I think you get the jist of things. All mass-executions can be public RP events too, so bring the kids! By the way, aren't medieval execution methods fascinating?
Mmh...
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2012, 07:24 by Desiderya »

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2012, 07:49 »

We've all been waiting for this.

No pressure

(THE PRESSURE!)

;)
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:51 »

Sounds great. Might want to tone down the violent executions though, as that can very quickly lead to things feeling cheesy as hell. "Cleansing souls with fire" is probably something that's a bit less literal in today's New Eden than back during the witch trials on Earth.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:58 »

Want!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2012, 11:18 »

Am watching this very carefully to see how it develops. Hoping it works too!
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2012, 11:40 »

* Mitara Newelle approves of her husbands new found 'dark' side :D
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2012, 12:07 »

To quote several blood raider barbies,

yaay

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2012, 16:41 »

I am so glad to read this. I have never really recovered since I left KotMC and the reasons you exposed about the laxism and the more and more IC/RP conflicting against OOC oddities that happened more and more were part of the ones that basically made me left.

Now then, as much as I love your new concept of vigilantes (i dont know what are exactly the Imperial Justicars in the lore but it reminds me directly their name, at least), I do wonder how you intend to handle it toward all the bad guys in your own militia. Is the militia truly the place to be ? Because when you speak of heretics and pirates and murderers and the likes, you do not have to look further than inside the militias...

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2012, 16:54 »

Stab 'em in the face, of course!

I think KotMC will end up droping in and out of FW as needs dictate. Being able to pursue a certain enemy when they retreat to Gallente or Minmatar hisec will be nice. And then there are the pesky asshats in the 24th that do not nice things. We'll only chase our own militia if it's really necessary though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15