Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ishukone corporation manufactures the mind altering Transcranial Microcontroller?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS INSIDE  (Read 30780 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS INSIDE
« Reply #195 on: 09 Apr 2012, 21:36 »

Sources of mine in BioWare say of 'Indoctrination Theory': "Very well put together, but no, sorry."

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #196 on: 09 Apr 2012, 23:18 »

Sources of mine in BioWare say of 'Indoctrination Theory': "Very well put together, but no, sorry."

Thing is, if it was right they aren't going to come out and admit it.

So either:

A: This is the ending, :dealwithit:
B: They're keeping hush on some real ending DLC that'll make everything satisfactory and it planned as some big surprise all along.

While B is unlikely I believe I'm going to go with what Asquith said on this one.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #197 on: 10 Apr 2012, 02:47 »

Bioware already has your money and the Mass Effect franchise has reached its conclusion.

What motivation would the have to pander the masses?

The fanboys are still going to think that Bioware is awesome, SWTOR will still reel cash in, remake of Baldur's Gate is coming out that is going to placate those fanboys that got ruffled feathers out of this thing.

Maybe they just don't give a shit anymore.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #198 on: 10 Apr 2012, 03:35 »

Thing is, if it was right they aren't going to come out and admit it.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #199 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:17 »

Only with destroy, and a very high effective military rating.

Ok, then I guess it invalidates more or less my idea then  :lol:

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #200 on: 10 Apr 2012, 15:17 »

Even if it was right, it still doesn't make the ending good. It makes it better written, but that doesn't make it good, because the writing is only a part of what makes a video game ending done.

But BioWare does have something to gain by altering the ending. The Mass Effect universe seems like something they wanted to continue working in. If they wanted to make a sequel and have people be more excited about it, they would want to alter the ending to get people invested in the world again. As the fanboys tend to be the people screaming the loudest about the ending and talking about boycotting all BioWare products.

Which, of course, is ridiculous. No one should boycott BioWare products because they didn't like 5 minutes of one of the games. This 5 minutes is amplified because it came at the end of the game, and people put more emphasis on the importance of endings than is actually relevant. But BioWare still makes good games with amazing stories and the bad ending is one small stumble that will likely be forgotten once their next game comes out.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #201 on: 10 Apr 2012, 16:19 »

Regardless of the ending content, it was ridiculously short.  My NES and SNES RPG's from 20 years ago had endings that were longer by twice. FFII and III were what, 35 minutes or something?  35 minutes of epilogue covering all major characters so by the time the credits rolled you were 100% content and feel like you really completed the journey with these people?

Yes the fancy new graphics are harder than small sprites and and the animation wasn't as complicated, etc etc, but they also didn't have EA's gargantuan multi-million budget and manpower.

Fail.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #202 on: 10 Apr 2012, 16:21 »

Eh, boycotting actually does have a purpose. There's only one single way to influence game devs and that's to vote with your wallet. Bioware no longer have my trust as a developer and I'm not giving them a penny as long as they're this arrogant.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #203 on: 10 Apr 2012, 17:49 »

Regardless of the ending content, it was ridiculously short.  My NES and SNES RPG's from 20 years ago had endings that were longer by twice. FFII and III were what, 35 minutes or something?  35 minutes of epilogue covering all major characters so by the time the credits rolled you were 100% content and feel like you really completed the journey with these people?

Yes the fancy new graphics are harder than small sprites and and the animation wasn't as complicated, etc etc, but they also didn't have EA's gargantuan multi-million budget and manpower.

Fail.

Its unfair, FF unending endings are an exception  :D

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #204 on: 11 Apr 2012, 13:28 »

was linked some interesting posts on biowares forums about the endings:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10289506
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10036548
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10225078

some are a bit extreme, but i can see how they came to those conclusions.

and I kind of agree with some of it. especially for a paragon shepard. Who would have spent much time in ME1 and ME2, and ME3 as well, pointing out there's another way, whenever someone says "genocide is the only option".
\o/

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #205 on: 11 Apr 2012, 16:30 »

Fail.

Its unfair, FF unending endings are an exception  :D
Apparently, XIII-2 doesn't have an ending; it stops with a "To Be Continued" so Squenix can string people along to buy more DLC to actually get a final ending. If not for the Mass Effect effect, and if more people outside Japan played it, I think it would get a lot more noise and attention focused at it.
Will work for pretty sig.

Random Sentience

Vikarion

« Reply #207 on: 15 Apr 2012, 13:37 »

For me, the thing I noticed was this: when you play Fallout 1, Fallout 2, or Fallout: New Vegas, you get a bit of exposition at the end. Specifically, you get a few frozen images with a bit of text on what happens to that particular location or person. It probably takes a minimal amount of effort to do something like that, and yet, the endings of the Fallout series (aside from 3) were awesome.

You don't need massive exposition to make a good ending. You don't need great graphics and pretty cut scenes, although I certainly won't reject them. What you need is to take into account the theme of the game, the history and actions of your character, and maintain narrative coherency.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #208 on: 15 Apr 2012, 20:40 »

...and that's what you're going to get with this new DLC thing.

You will NOT get a re-write.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #209 on: 15 Apr 2012, 20:48 »

To be perfectly fair, "more exposition" actually kinda does constitute a rewrite given there's absolutely none at all in the current ending...
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2012, 20:50 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18