Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maroon is the color of death for the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 45)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Baselining - The guide to RP? (also, no concord immunity :o)  (Read 7884 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

And now Imma try to messily address the three points above me in this post. <rubs hands.>

I don't think that just because the capsuleer is detached from the horrors they inflict that it lessens the impact. If anything, I think it would worsen the effects - tying it back into modern warfare, as technology became more advanced, soldiers had less and less need to actually see their enemies. EVE seems to me to be the next evolution, where warfare is ridiculously massive, takes place with ubiquitous frequency, but is entirely impersonal.

Grae, again, Jita 4-4 was a great explanation of exactly who would try to stop an egger from baselining. The paged linked in the OP lists it as a source, but it completely goes against the information therein, which makes this all the worse for me.

I'm willing to concede that it might just be my own perception that capsuleers be set completely apart from normal people, Iunno, this just irks me something awful.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver

This could turn very strange when you start talking about capsuleers baselining (or going planetside, for that matter) in areas outside the reach of the Empires (sov null or W-space).

What sort of laws apply to a wormhole dweller paying a visit to a temperate planet in his corporation's home system?  Or to a bored 0.0 capital pilot baselining at a conquerable station deep in his alliance's territory between alliance ops?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

What sort of laws apply to a wormhole dweller paying a visit to a temperate planet in his corporation's home system?  Or to a bored 0.0 capital pilot baselining at a conquerable station deep in his alliance's territory between alliance ops?

Laws?

Edited to add, from the article on Baselining:
Outside of these controlled areas, whether in stations or on planets, CONCORD has no real authority, and a capsuleer will find themselves subject to whatever laws and regulations the locals have established. This may result in a pilot being harassed or persecuted, particularly in areas which do not rely on capsuleers, such as remote deadspace colonies and generally disconnected pockets of civilization. However, many authorities, especially at the higher levels of interstellar society, realize that there is little wisdom in antagonizing capsuleers, who often act as key actors in trade and employment.

PS: Loving the iPad. Hating forum-quoting with it.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2011, 00:14 by Matariki Rain »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

This could turn very strange when you start talking about capsuleers baselining (or going planetside, for that matter) in areas outside the reach of the Empires (sov null or W-space).

Well, there are no laws in w-space, and there's no one to baseline with, unless you count your own POS employees, in which case that would be easier than b-lining with people you don't pay.

Nullsec regions are governed by the pirates that own them, or by the nullsec alliances. So again, it would be the employees under those alliances that the alliance members would interact with. As for NPC nullsec, well, its pretty lawless despite the pirates owning everything, so less restriction than Empire space.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

I don't think that just because the capsuleer is detached from the horrors they inflict that it lessens the impact. If anything, I think it would worsen the effects - tying it back into modern warfare, as technology became more advanced, soldiers had less and less need to actually see their enemies. EVE seems to me to be the next evolution, where warfare is ridiculously massive, takes place with ubiquitous frequency, but is entirely impersonal.

And where some pilots mod their interfaces into games where they're squashing ants in the playground.

I'm willing to concede that it might just be my own perception that capsuleers be set completely apart from normal people, Iunno, this just irks me something awful.

Fair enough. I note, though, that according to the article you're perfectly justified in playing a capsuleer who stays in the CONCORD-regulated parts of publicly-listed stations and doesn't mix with baselines.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2011, 13:14 by Matariki Rain »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?

The way I see it is, if I, a demi-god, wish to consort with mere mortals....who is going to try to stop me?

Just please, don't screw any geese.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

The way I see it is, if I, a demi-god, wish to consort with mere mortals....who is going to try to stop me?

Just please, don't screw any geese.

Although having a clone made in the form of a swan would be traditional.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

I think one of the biggest things about that article is that how it says there is no CONCORD immunity, when for quite a while, we  as players assumed there was. But it makes sense. If the Caldari Navy take Seriphyn prisoner, then how do the Caldari know that he won't call another capsuleer, two, or maybe ten to bust him out? Is it worth risking that many lives for someone who can just die and soft-clone anyway? So it's interesting to note how the status is an immunity unto itself.

As for cheapening the capsuleer's status...I didn't think so. It seems to say that this baselining thing is in the minority.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!

Amazing how it takes CCP this long to establish the stark naked obvious  -_-
The very model of a British Minmatarian

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver

Well, there are no laws in w-space, and there's no one to baseline with, unless you count your own POS employees, in which case that would be easier than b-lining with people you don't pay.

Nullsec regions are governed by the pirates that own them, or by the nullsec alliances. So again, it would be the employees under those alliances that the alliance members would interact with. As for NPC nullsec, well, its pretty lawless despite the pirates owning everything, so less restriction than Empire space.

You forgot about planetary colonists, although what you're saying makes sense. I'm just asking "how do capsuleers handle this?" *pokes CVA*

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

I'll just point out that a lot of people hate that characterization of capsuleers, as the deranged inhuman monsters who have lost all sanity because they get hooked up into a pod.

Yeah, in my opinion that view of capsuleers is cliched and boring.   You lose a lot of potential in your stories.  To each their own. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

I'll just point out that a lot of people hate that characterization of capsuleers, as the deranged inhuman monsters who have lost all sanity because they get hooked up into a pod.

Yeah, in my opinion that view of capsuleers is cliched and boring.   You lose a lot of potential in your stories.  To each their own.

That's not the point I was going for. You don't have to play an insane demon, but it's equally silly for capsuleers to pretend to be normal folks.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!

That's not the point I was going for. You don't have to play an insane demon, but it's equally silly for capsuleers to pretend to be normal folks.

Why? As was commented above about remote drone operators, the distance and the impassionateness of the combat breed a sense of seperation from the conflict. IMO, a capsuleer doesn't turn into power hungry monster because they can kill thousands upon thousands, they just don't think about it.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!

Statement of the fudgin obvious:

Anyone who walks around looking like a capsuleer, let alone sounding like one around non-capsuleers deserves what's coming to them.

The kind of technology available to us, would it really be a hassle to hide the capsule jacks or just not shout off your mouth that you're the murderer of tens of thousands?
The very model of a British Minmatarian

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver

Statement of the fudgin obvious:

Anyone who walks around looking like a capsuleer, let alone sounding like one around non-capsuleers deserves what's coming to them.

The kind of technology available to us, would it really be a hassle to hide the capsule jacks or just not shout off your mouth that you're the murderer of tens of thousands?
Depends on the non-capsuleers in question, I reckon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4