Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Samuel Rackham Premium Caldari Ale is made with aroma hops from the widely recognized agricultural facilities of Haatomo III? For more, see here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Baselining - The guide to RP? (also, no concord immunity :o)  (Read 7882 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Baselining

So, basically appears that the naysayers who said that capsuleers are legally dead and never, ever ever have any contact with the outside world were completey wrong. Also, the assumed Concord immunity that players postered is also completely wrong, which is surprising.

A neat article though. Provides some good justifications for various realities. Nice to have some confirmation and clarification.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

Mmm. Been chatting about the Minmatar section, which fits well with how we've played it.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help

*hugs the Baselining article*

The sections also fit nicely with how I've played baselining. 

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain

Nice, this fits well.  :D

Kaleigh Doyle

Confirmed I'm doing it wrong!  :bear:

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger

Confirmed I'm doing it wrong!  :bear:

I'd hope the article is vague enough to allow people to "do it wrong" without actually doing it wrong.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

After the work they put into Jita 4-4, which was one of my favorite chronicles, this seems really, really boring.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

After the work they put into Jita 4-4, which was one of my favorite chronicles, this seems really, really boring.
How so? Is your "boring" the same as my "reassuring"?

I'm very happy that I have the ability to baseline. Also happy that the clans seem to be working out their responses to capsuleers in a very Minmatar way. I play it that if Mata wants to be part of the flow of clan and tribal life she needs to pay her dues, put in the time, and maintain the connections. She needs to show that she doesn't consider herself "above" her clan-kin, while at the same time having access to resources which could make quite a difference to how things go for her clan. I like the duality and the balances there, and also the chances to grow in renown "in her own right". it's an area of the newly released information that definitely works for me.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

A good read, and sounds essentially just how I would imagine.

What I did find interesting is that we have good PF cue now that those with negative standing would have an exceedingly difficult time baselining in enemy faction locations.

IE an Amarrian capsuleer with -9 Republic standing is never, ever going to be able to dock at a 1.0 Minmatar station and go mingle with the crowds without major repercussions, like being tossed in the brig or being detained. Maybe they get out of it with enough money changing hands but I think we have pretty good arguments that faction enemies aren't out and about baselining in high-security enemy territory very easily.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

I'm very happy that I have the ability to baseline. Also happy that the clans seem to be working out their responses to capsuleers in a very Minmatar way. I play it that if Mata wants to be part of the flow of clan and tribal life she needs to pay her dues, put in the time, and maintain the connections. She needs to show that she doesn't consider herself "above" her clan-kin, while at the same time having access to resources which could make quite a difference to how things go for her clan. I like the duality and the balances there, and also the chances to grow in renown "in her own right". it's an area of the newly released information that definitely works for me.

Call it a personal thing, I just hate the idea of capsuleers being "people." Like, I can understand that they were all normal humans at some point, and that they all have humanity within them, but the whole point of Jita 4-4 was to highlight the separation between a normal citizen and someone who can destroy thousands of lives, unrestricted by law, with their minds.

We've also had it stated that capsuleers live lives that are combinations of celebrity and vilification. It undoubtedly takes a toll on a person to be A). modified enough to use a pod, B). Use it in the aforementioned manner, and then C). Live that sort of life. Unless a capsuleer is the most well-adjusted person in New Eden and shrugs that kind of stuff off, I guess.

I don't know, it just feels cheapening if I can roll through a mission pocket, kill hundreds of crew, blow up every structure in sight, and then go home and go shopping with the misses in the station market.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger

I'll just point out that a lot of people hate that characterization of capsuleers, as the deranged inhuman monsters who have lost all sanity because they get hooked up into a pod.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Love this page, and have no problems with it whatsoever.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Call it a personal thing, I just hate the idea of capsuleers being "people." Like, I can understand that they were all normal humans at some point, and that they all have humanity within them, but the whole point of Jita 4-4 was to highlight the separation between a normal citizen and someone who can destroy thousands of lives, unrestricted by law, with their minds.

We've also had it stated that capsuleers live lives that are combinations of celebrity and vilification. It undoubtedly takes a toll on a person to be A). modified enough to use a pod, B). Use it in the aforementioned manner, and then C). Live that sort of life. Unless a capsuleer is the most well-adjusted person in New Eden and shrugs that kind of stuff off, I guess.

I don't know, it just feels cheapening if I can roll through a mission pocket, kill hundreds of crew, blow up every structure in sight, and then go home and go shopping with the misses in the station market.

In today's world professional military pilots have the power to kill hundreds of random people (and this often happens), and for the most part they lose little-sleep over it.  Being in a bomber and destroying little pixels on the targeting screen or on a building 25km away has far, far less psychological impact than the infantry that have to deal, up close and personal, with the results of their actions.

For capsuleers I imagine they would be even further removed; destroying tiny ships 50km away and having a few less blips on their targeting screen.

"I don't know, it just feels cheapening if I can roll through a mission pocket, kill hundreds of crew, blow up every structure in sight, and then go home and go shopping with the misses in the station market."

Not to belittle the life and death issues, but this is actually precisely what modern-day remote drone pilots are doing. Drive to work, fly their remote-missions, and be home in time for dinner, whilst people are killed quite far away.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

The way I see it is, if I, a demi-god, wish to consort with mere mortals....who is going to try to stop me?

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Kaleigh Doyle

I think what makes it boring is that it's an informational piece, not a story, so I don't necessarily think it needs to be glamorous to get its point across. If I had one criticism to make, I suppose it would be possibly elaborating further on how they are treated by various Pirate factions. I can, of course, make my own conclusions, but a paragraph or so might be useful nevertheless.

As for the perceptions of capsuleers, I think the general theme common to any background could be described as out of place. Having extraordinary wealth to buy planets, political power to influence interstellar politics, combat prowess to dispatch thousands of people with relative ease... contributes to their inability to really blend with baseliners and be ordinary. That's not to say they can't mesh with them in other areas, but I think there's definitely an opportunity for character growth by exploring those differences and how these influences transform ordinary people. I think the article, specifically in discussing the jurisdiction of baselining in each empire, emphasizes that point.

Does that make every pilot a bloodthirsty, meglomaniacal killer?

I don't think so. Perhaps eccentric. We need only look at the 'capsuleers' of our own age, the wealthy elite, to see what kind of influence power and wealth has on people. From dictators, to media moguls, or even actors and other celebrities; once you're immersed in that kind of life there's a transformation that takes place that impacts us in a colorful way, and I personally find that very fascinating to explore.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4