Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Serpentis stole a Federation Navy Nyx, here is the  news item

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Baselining - The guide to RP? (also, no concord immunity :o)  (Read 7885 times)

Kaleigh Doyle

I'll just point out that a lot of people hate that characterization of capsuleers, as the deranged inhuman monsters who have lost all sanity because they get hooked up into a pod.

Yeah, in my opinion that view of capsuleers is cliched and boring.   You lose a lot of potential in your stories.  To each their own.

That's not the point I was going for. You don't have to play an insane demon, but it's equally silly for capsuleers to pretend to be normal folks.

Why? As was commented above about remote drone operators, the distance and the impassionateness of the combat breed a sense of seperation from the conflict. IMO, a capsuleer doesn't turn into power hungry monster because they can kill thousands upon thousands, they just don't think about it.

And I venture when confronted with the notion that they do, most will either try to justify it in some manner. "We kill because it's war" or "To protect the innocent" or "Because they are unbelievers", etc.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

If Seriphyn is killling nothing but Serpentis in endless level 4 missions, I don't see why he would be hated by anyone but the Serpentis.

Kaleigh Doyle

Serpentis crew aren't made in a cloning factory. The people killed have family, and might even live on stations or planets of the Federation.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq

If Seriphyn is killling nothing but Serpentis in endless level 4 missions, I don't see why he would be hated by anyone but the Serpentis.

Their clients that you're inconveniencing?

Also if you think about it, by killing Serps, you're 'making life easier' for the local law enforcement authorities, allowing them to devote time to things like bashing Caldari.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

True, but the majority of the population will not be angered at Seriphyn for doing that. A minority would really REALLY hate him, but not most people (who would be thankful).

I feel the article was directed at us personally as RPers, permitting us to play as normal-ish spacers while still stating how capsuleers have their reputation that was pushed before.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

I'll just point out that a lot of people hate that characterization of capsuleers, as the deranged inhuman monsters who have lost all sanity because they get hooked up into a pod.

Yeah, in my opinion that view of capsuleers is cliched and boring.   You lose a lot of potential in your stories.  To each their own.

That's not the point I was going for. You don't have to play an insane demon, but it's equally silly for capsuleers to pretend to be normal folks.

Why? As was commented above about remote drone operators, the distance and the impassionateness of the combat breed a sense of seperation from the conflict. IMO, a capsuleer doesn't turn into power hungry monster because they can kill thousands upon thousands, they just don't think about it.

The drone operator didn't go through extensive, possibly life-threatening training and medical enhancement to control his drone.

The drone operator doesn't use a direct hardwire neural link to control his drone. He doesn't have the "phantom ship" experience that capsuleers do. He doesn't feel shield hardeners or crew running around in his guts.

The drone operator controls a small, atmospheric aircraft, not the largest and most advanced pieces of technology ever devised by mankind (read; Titan pilots).

The drone operator hasn't experienced death multiple times.

An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

The drone operator didn't go through extensive, possibly life-threatening training and medical enhancement to control his drone.

The drone operator doesn't use a direct hardwire neural link to control his drone. He doesn't have the "phantom ship" experience that capsuleers do. He doesn't feel shield hardeners or crew running around in his guts.

The drone operator controls a small, atmospheric aircraft, not the largest and most advanced pieces of technology ever devised by mankind (read; Titan pilots).

The drone operator hasn't experienced death multiple times.

Hmm.

I think we should be careful with generalizations, as we will always have characters that treat their power and abilities in different ways. 

There are infantry soldiers who have gunned-down plenty of people in cold blood and slept like babies, and people who have fired missiles from 1000 miles away and had nervous breakdowns.

Actually I think the drone operators are operating some of the most advanced technology available to mankind. 30 years ago it was absolutely impossible for someone sitting in Arizona to have real-time remote control of an airplane flying 10,000 miles away on the other side of the planet.

That was straight-up science fiction until very, very recently, and the parallels are quite good for capsuleers in some regards.

Shaalira

• Egger

My character baselines a lot.  I'm glad there's finally an article that provides some guidelines to the practice.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com

Also, the assumed Concord immunity that players postered is also completely wrong, which is surprising.

I've never really considered capsuleers as "immune to CONCORD". Hell, Ethan has been arrested and transported to Yulai once.

I tend to have him see them as a very real threat in character, likewise but less so with the sovereign navies and corporate police forces, and keep most of my characters that are associated with him out of highsec all together, apart from those who have high sec status and no record of nefarious stuffs.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain

indeed, CONCORD's entire mandate is to -regulate- the capsuleers, to control them, and make sure they're not going to do anything stupid.

So long as you play within the rules, then CONCORD lets you do your business without interference. I figured breaching the EULA was like CONCORD canceling your cloning contracts and nuking your assets from orbit. :P

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver

Also, the assumed Concord immunity that players postered is also completely wrong, which is surprising.

I've never really considered capsuleers as "immune to CONCORD". Hell, Ethan has been arrested and transported to Yulai once.

I tend to have him see them as a very real threat in character, likewise but less so with the sovereign navies and corporate police forces, and keep most of my characters that are associated with him out of highsec all together, apart from those who have high sec status and no record of nefarious stuffs.
Makes me wonder how one would serve process upon a wormhole dweller :) via the GalNet mail system? ((i.e. ingame mail))

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Because even Serpentis have families, friends, associates.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile

Indeed. I seem to recall a story along those lines in EVE fiction once. A cocky capsuleer gets back from blowing up a Serpentis battleship and picks up a groupie. Who turns out to be the sister of the pirate captain he's just killed. As I recall she charms her way into his bed & then poisons him.

Of course now that would be a huge waste of time with backups & all that.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

Yes they do. So do all the people everywhere that the Serpentis operatives hurt every day doing their 'job'. There are countless millions of people in the cluster that get fucked over by Serpentis, Angels or whatever on a daily basis, and all those people would love it if the Serpents would just go away or die or leave them alone. If Seriphyn, or BB, or whoever, wipe out a whole Serpentis battlefleet the widowed family members and/or orphaned kids back in Fountain will be very sad. But all those families all over the Fed and beyond who hear of this will more likely than not be happy for the news.

My character would be a fool to baseline in Fountain anywhere or on any Serpentis or Angel owned stations, unless he brought a large force of guards armed for nothing less than war, but baselining in the Fed and the most that would happen is likely some Serp. assassin, or angry 'associate' or some-such. Most who know of him or even care would likely want to buy him drinks because he killed all those people who were responsible for X injustice or whatever.

At the end of the day, the widows of Fountain are the same as the widows of Solitude - they blame different factions for their loss however, and report to different leaders, whose motives are very different. Ultimately, it's all the ones in a leadership position who are to blame for the cycle of hatred. Or whoever they hire to do their dirty-work...

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain

My character's gonna baseline where-ever the fuck it wants, pants or no pants.

If you try to stop me, I'll just fucking kill you and give your family nanite crabs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4