Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution  (Read 16440 times)

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« Reply #45 on: 27 Aug 2011, 23:30 »

Welp, spent the last two hours of my night fighting with the settings.  While it being set up for multiple monitor support is nice, it apparently doesn't work when the two monitors aren't exactly the same size, so it defaults to whichever monitor it feels like which happened to be the smaller one and not the one I game on.  After an hour of fighting with it and finally getting it onto the right monitor, it now alternates between blacking out my second monitor and not depending on how many times I randomly alt+tab in and out of the game, and it also has a lovely tendency to hang or simply black out the screen when loading cutscenes. 

And no, it's not that my computer needs upgrading, I built this thing from scratch like 9 months ago and it's top of the line shit.

Desiderya

« Reply #46 on: 28 Aug 2011, 04:12 »

Hm, bad luck, works good for me with two different screens.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #47 on: 28 Aug 2011, 04:50 »

so it's a game i should consider purchasing? I have the first deus ex, I enjoyed it.
\o/

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 28 Aug 2011, 04:58 »

Try it out at a friends house if you are not sure, you probably know someone that has a copy.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #49 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:57 »

If you liked the original, you'll like this one. This is the only real sequel to the original Deus Ex, even if it is a prequel. Invisible War never happened, y'hear?

Well... except for the achievements. I really don't like those achievements. In the original Deus Ex, you could go through the entire game without killing, if you slightly glitched one of the bosses. It became an emergent feat of honor to go entirely murderless through the game and you couldn't even prove that you'd done it. It was just a result of excellent game-design that an FPS game allowed you to go non-lethal routes almost everywhere and players rejoiced in it. Now? It's a freakin' achievement. Beyond those of us who played the original and ran the non-lethal route just because we could, the majority of non-lethal players this time around wouldn't even have considered it without the achievement dangled in front of them.

Basically, achievements cheapen all the things you've done to 'achieve' them.

In short, I'd like to thank the mouthbreathing masses for jumping on that particular aneurysm inducing bandwagon of failure, forcing developers everywhere to scatter nonsensical and worthless little affirming tidbits around the games just to appease the e-peen rubbing turds who wouldn't know real achievements in games unless it was rammed up their ass with a nifty little icon.

Desiderya

« Reply #50 on: 28 Aug 2011, 08:12 »

And you care about other people's achievements why exactly?

I'll agree though, if you liked the original Deus Ex you'll love this one.

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
« Reply #51 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:02 »

Elitist much, Miz?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #52 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:32 »

Elitist much, Miz?

Cardcarrying member of the club, yes.

Anyway, I don't care about 'other people's achievements' so much as how they negatively affect game-design overall. There's games where the devs are quite literally forced to shoehorn in achievements and actually design gameplay around them in a few extreme cases. It's a trend I'm very much not fond of, considering the implications. Well, that and the way you see them being used in some MMOs as some sort of measurement of player worth and so on. Simply put... I don't see any positive sides to them that aren't negated by the negatives.

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
« Reply #53 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:40 »

I think achievements are okay, with the caveat that I don't like achievements just for their own sake.  I like that they can lead completionists to try some different play choices and give you a visible recognition of that.

But yes, the mandatory inclusion of achievements does force devs to modify the games to fit, which is the ugly side.

My issue with your previous post was the implication that people who get achievements are somehow inferior to you.  That's just snobbish.  Your clarification seems to nullify that a little. 

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #54 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:25 »

My issue with Steam achievements is spoilers primarily, particularly also giving an idea of how many sidequests are to the game. I just ignore them.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:49 »

My issue with Steam achievements is spoilers primarily, particularly also giving an idea of how many sidequests are to the game. I just ignore them.

This as well, yes. It quite literally affected my gameplay when...

[spoiler]... the chopper was shot down and there were tons of enemies firing at it. If I hadn't glanced at the achievement saying you could save her against the odds, I would have just stayed down and grit my teeth, counting it as one of the 'hard choices for the sake of the greater cause' kind of things. It's also affected the gameplay in a few other quests, spoiling possible options and such that I wouldn't have automatically aimed for if I didn't already know about them. [/spoiler]

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #56 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:56 »

Finished it last night at 4 AM. Just had to stay up to finish it since I knew I was getting to the end. According to Steam I completed it in about 32 hours (I know I left it running on pause a couple of times). That was after doing the majority of the side-quests and doing a lot of hacking and reading, though.

I'm absolutely giddy over the storyline. I think it was one of the best showings from the game industry in the last decade or so. I'm glad I'm a film major so I knew what the hell was going on the entire time. That made the ending expected from my point of view, but I think it was absolutely the correct ending for the game.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #57 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:59 »

*blinks*

You mean one of the... what, four different endings? Or do you mean all the gameplay leading up to that?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #58 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:26 »

What weapons and augs are you all favoring?  I've tricked out the 10mm with about as much as it can handle and prefer that as my primary for this first play through.  Spread out my aug choices quite a bit to get a sense for what each of them can contribute.  How about you?

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #59 on: 28 Aug 2011, 12:07 »

What weapons and augs are you all favoring?  I've tricked out the 10mm with about as much as it can handle and prefer that as my primary for this first play through.  Spread out my aug choices quite a bit to get a sense for what each of them can contribute.  How about you?

Had a pretty equal distribution of augs. If there was any focus is was on cloaking and hacking.

I favored the revolver (HE upgrade) and sniper rifle a lot, and when I needed to use a silenced weapon, I had a silenced assault rifle. If I was playing through again I would have carried a silenced 10mm instead, since the assault rifle is oddly very weak.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11