Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Adventures of White Lightning" is a Gallentean soap opera.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution  (Read 16441 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« Reply #75 on: 30 Aug 2011, 08:51 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

"you can aug if you want to...leave your real limbs far behind" 

awesome
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #76 on: 30 Aug 2011, 12:47 »

Im downloading it now   :twisted:

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #78 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:41 »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #79 on: 31 Aug 2011, 14:15 »

I laughed long and hard.  :D

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #80 on: 31 Aug 2011, 18:06 »

Also enjoyed this number...  :)

http://youtu.be/Y414Q7vVgYU

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #81 on: 01 Sep 2011, 10:11 »

So after 30+ hrs or so, I finally finished my first play through, and while overall my thoughts are positive I do take issues with a couple things:

[spoiler]
Gameplay
:arrow: The battery system sucks. They give you up to 5 batteries and only charge the first one. I'd rather they slowed the recharge rate the further down the batteries it goes, but it just feels silly to have otherwise, cause I kept most of them empty.

:arrow: They probably need to explain the augmentations a bit better. The hacking one for example, doesn't tell you that each level you get strengthens your odds of capturing nodes, only that you can now access level 5 nodes.

Plot
:arrow: I really didn't like any of the factions at all, including my boss. I let them all die, the bastards.

:arrow: Meeting Megan again in the facility seemed rather odd. Considering he met the other three scientists, who were also being kept hostage, Adam lays into Megan for helping the enemy concoct this super chip that's going to control everyone. Would you prefer she was dead, Adam? What did you expect her to do? His reaction seemed kinda silly, considering how much he cared for her, and i felt it was rather anti-climactic.
[/spoiler]

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #82 on: 02 Sep 2011, 14:06 »

Have now acquired and played the game.

As a side note, my housemate has a fairly high-end desktop PC gaming rig set up right next to the household television (hence PS3) screen. I'm sure this hasn't been a universal experience, but I've watched him playing this game at the same time as I did. He's been crashing, on average, every hour and a half while I played the whole shebang for up to seven hours at a stretch without so much as a glitch.

Seems there's some advantage to kinda-sorta uniform hardware.

Kaleigh, I largely agree with your critique, though I think a good deal of that is defensible. Most of my quibbles boil down to minor preferences and so on.

[spoiler]Gameplay

Melee kills, as opposed to knockouts, should not be so damn loud. It's freaking hard to scream with a slit throat, and the "slitching" sound of blades passing through flesh should not be substantially noisier than the brief fist-fights you get into doing knockouts. There should be a reason, other than ammo economy and nifty visuals, for cutting people down with blades instead of capping them in the head with a silenced, laser-sighted 10mm.

There should be People Worth Killing after you get the plasma rifle. "I Am One With The Machine" end boss chica, mechs, turrets, and innocent "zombies" don't count.

Even playing on "Give Me Deus Ex" mode right off the bat, endgame was too damned easy. Died more times against the first boss than against the entire complex.

Enemy AI = good. Enemy communications and security protocols = moronic. Consequences for tripping alarms are trivial, assuming you don't mind killing every luckless bastard in earshot. Would be better if every alarm tripped made further progress substantially more difficult (later enemies are alerted, have time to set up kill zones, etc.).

All forms of play may be viable, but not all are equally rewarding. Game still rewards actions taken not because they advance the cause, but because they give points. E.g., hacking every single alarm panel on every wall everywhere.[/spoiler]

Edit: a couple more ...

[spoiler]Complementary function of certain augs was non-obvious to the point of stupidity. For instance: large numbers of batteries are potentially useful for high-intensity stealth functions such as cloaked attack (silence, cloak, sprint over, KO two dudes, repeat until out of batteries). They serve no combat function that isn't handled equally well by a fistful of nutrient bars; only reason for combat-heavy character to get more batteries is to get greater efficiency out of high-end nutrient sources.

Silent movement faster than walking speed consumes energy. Punching people consumes energy. X-ray vision consumes energy. Hacking people with blades consumes energy....

... Whereas falling great distances without harm (and with very flashy effects), regenerating from near-fatal injury, doing the augmented-Olympic high-jump, and monitoring in real time the position, facing, disposition, and type of all uncloaked hostiles within a hundred or so feet? All of those don't.

"Analysis" hacking augs are essentially useless, at least for people who get good at hacking. Odds of remaining undetected can be estimated accurately with a little experience, and neither I nor any other in-game hacker I know of has ever met a datastore he didn't like, whatever its contents.

If you can one-shot most enemy personnel with a silenced pistol and one-shot a war mech with an EMP grenade, what exactly is the point of an inaccurate, noisy, difficult-to-find-ammo-for, yet surprisingly-ineffective-even-on-a-direct-hit rocket launcher?

The sniper rifle accepts a laser sight. The apparent sole advantage to this is that it lets you aim when shooting from the hip, a task at which it does not excel with or without the sight. If I'm going to modify the hell out of my sniper rifle, I want a laser dot I can see through my scope, please.

While enemy AI is generally good (aside from a medieval "earshot only" communication scheme in an age of universal connectivity, as noted above), you'd think they'd react a little as more and more members of their teams go silent and/or disappear. See "Batman: Arkham Asylum" stealth sequences for good enemy reaction to vanishing team members (intensified search patterns, patrolling in pairs, eventual break down of discipline in face of increasing terror).

Nobody ever looks in, much less follows you down, the vents, not even when you just ducked into one in plain view of God and man. This should be an immediate invitation to a grenade hucked into the crawlspace. Instead, you can sit there and bounce gas grenades around the corner into the crowd of gathered hostiles with impunity. Alternatively, you can wait for the lone mark who glimpsed you to walk right up to the vent (so that he can't possibly look down it), then pop back around the corner and take your time lining up a shot on his kneecap with the scoped traq gun. Yes, I do mean from six feet away.[/spoiler]

And I should make clear, I LOVE the game. Having finished my first stealth-shooter style playthrough, I'm now working on a pacifist run.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2011, 17:11 by Aria Jenneth »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #83 on: 02 Sep 2011, 17:21 »

[spoiler]Re: Laser Sight on Sniper Rifle

It's probably the best weapon upgrade you can get. If you're anywhere near decent with FPS aiming, this allows you to very quickly pop a multitude of hostiles without resorting to the scope. Where the laser dot goes, it hits. With perfect accuracy. The laser dot would serve no purpose in the scope, but it allows for instant kills of a whole heap of enemies in a row, depending on whether or not you've upgraded the ammo capacity.

It actually breaks the weapon, it's so overpowered an upgrade for it.

The entire point of a Sniper Rifle is to have that 'perfect first shot' mechanic, allowing for one instant and 100% guaranteed kill. The offset is that for repeated use you'll have to lose situational awareness by using the scope and track the hostiles through a toilet-paper roll. With the laser sight... that all goes away and you suddenly get a one-shot, one kill weapon fired from the hip with 100% accuracy. That's frighteningly good.[/spoiler]

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: 02 Sep 2011, 17:34 »

[spoiler]Hm. Point.

... Not sure it breaks the weapon, though, considering that its competition consists of things like the silenced, armor-piercing 10mm and the seeker-ammo machine pistol or battle rifle, all of which are freaking lethal.

All in all, I found that the real challenge of the game wasn't so much the combat as the not-getting-spotted-to-start-with, for which the sniper rifle is terrible.[/spoiler]

Lyn Farel

« Reply #85 on: 03 Sep 2011, 07:05 »

Hehehe, the silent sniper rifle of the augmented version is quite lol. But less powerful apparently (twice less if you 'examine' the stats of the gun).

Anyway, the only thing that annoys me quite a lot is the same thing in Deux Ex 1 : not being able to store your weapons and stuff in some kind of armory or something... This is pretty lame. I thought before playing that they would at least fix that : I can understand it was not the case in the first one (old game, first opus, etc), but here, seriously... Especially when you find a weapon only one time in the game. Could be nice to keep them and actually choose them before a mission.

Cesides that, as much as fucking adictive than the first one, though I am not very far in the game atm.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #86 on: 03 Sep 2011, 08:53 »

Apparently, stuff you leave in your apartment will still be there when you return to it later, Lyn. Of course, the opportunities you have to do that are a bit limited. Open world, Deus Ex is not.

Also, I've noticed that things like random guns left lying around are frequently still there hours or days later.

Edit:

About the silenced sniper rifle: I appreciate that they did that, and not just because the "normal" one is heinous. Apparently the reason a high-caliber real-world sniper rifle cannot be silenced is that the bullet breaks the sound barrier. A silencer might muffle the explosive blast, but wouldn't do a damn thing about the hypersonic "crack" from the bullet as it travels. So, to get a silenced sniper rifle, a tradeoff is necessary.
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2011, 08:59 by Aria Jenneth »

Desiderya

« Reply #87 on: 03 Sep 2011, 13:15 »

You can't "really" store things. But on the other hand, hey, I can carry around two huge weapons, one medium, two small and a ton of ammunition without problems. And no, I'm not talking about weight.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #88 on: 03 Sep 2011, 14:15 »

Apparently the reason a high-caliber real-world sniper rifle cannot be silenced is that the bullet breaks the sound barrier. A silencer might muffle the explosive blast, but wouldn't do a damn thing about the hypersonic "crack" from the bullet as it travels. So, to get a silenced sniper rifle, a tradeoff is necessary.

Same goes for all suppressed firearms, not just long-range rifles.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #89 on: 03 Sep 2011, 22:37 »

My understanding is that most bullets are distinctly sub-sonic. Hence the "buzz" rather than the "crack" of a passing bullet.

Am I wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11