Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Your frigates have crew  (Read 20099 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Your frigates have crew
« Reply #60 on: 09 Aug 2011, 16:34 »

Lazor myrm is awesome. AC myrm has nothing special.

Thus Lazors > ACs. My logic is irrefutable.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 22 Oct 2014, 17:26 »

Ships have crews.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #62 on: 22 Oct 2014, 19:27 »

Ships have crews.

Like duh. I still insist in not taking a crew member in a Breacher that isn't going to last in space for more than two hours (or stay undocked for more than two hours). Any crew member I'm bringing is an engineer and he is only there to fix things that are on fire. However, since the moment the Breacher enters hull it likely isn't going to survive anyway (or if it survives the damage control will keep things working long enough to get docked) it's wasteful to bring along an engineer.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #63 on: 22 Oct 2014, 19:32 »

The old days were the best, where upon issuing an attack order drones would sometimes in mid flight randomly redirect their aggro to one of your gang mates and proceed to murder them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnKk2ysyNrA

03:00

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #64 on: 22 Oct 2014, 19:34 »

Ships have crews.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2411396#post2411396

I prefer using crews. But CCP says that if someone wants to RP that their frigate is just the capsuleer then there is nothing wrong with them doing that.

Anything larger than a frigate though I'd have serious doubts on.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #65 on: 22 Oct 2014, 19:49 »

Ships have crews.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2411396#post2411396

I prefer using crews. But CCP says that if someone wants to RP that their frigate is just the capsuleer then there is nothing wrong with them doing that.

Anything larger than a frigate though I'd have serious doubts on.

Totally. Elmund still has to bring crew members aboard a Talwar despite having automated most of its functions. With a Frigate, everything's pretty nicely packed and things are pretty simple. At the very most you need a Chewbacca or a R2-D2 sit in one spot to fix crap.

A destroyer is a different story since it is a more complicated piece of machinery. Weapons still have auto-loaders, there are still conveyor belts and robotic arms with RFID scanners and everything but now there's more space to cover and there's more moving parts. Just like all evil schemes and plots, the more complicated something is the more ways something is going to go wrong, especially in the middle of the shooting.

As per usual, Elmund isn't particularly pleased with that and is still working on a solution. For the time being he just has a crew safety policy and some changes in architecture and inclusion of manual-control drones with limited AI as all-purpose tools so as to maximise crew efficiency. If he can bring less crew and they can do their work in relative safety of reinforced bulkheads with automated beacons and life support, then he will do it, doesn't matter how much more he has to pay. He also frowns whenever someone tries to play the hero in his sights (being a former marine trainee means he had seen enough marines die for heroically stupid reasons to get mighty sick of it).

Also note that Elmund only does not bring crew aboard frigates that he doesn't expect to stay in space for more than two hours at a time. If he is going to be undocked for several days (expeditions and etc) he is going to bring crew. This is because of wear and tear. One or two hours won't cause significant wear and tear to make the ship inoperable. Several days and all that friction damage accumulates and all the lubricant dries up and things get snagged. He could use drones but drones are hardly dexterous enough to uncouple wires properly.

Also also wormholes. Someone has to apply RFID tags on all the Sleeper loot and machines can't do it because there's no RFID tags for them to identify squat. He will bring a bored grandmother (or several bored grandmothers) with him to wormholes to do the RFID tagging. He also bring bored grandmothers with him for salvage operations (because salvages do not tag themselves).
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 20:00 by Elmund Egivand »

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #66 on: 22 Oct 2014, 20:59 »

Drem from TBL piloted a Curor by himself. He wasn't a capsuleer.

v0v

IKR! I always hope that when Anyanka ejects from her Cruor In space that it will warp off and fly to Aridia and shoot at a mining Raven and I'll get the killmail like WTF?

While on the subject of crewless frigs. Lest not forget, capsuleer, Lord Victor Eliade in The Empyrean Age who single-mindedly controlled a Purifier to spy on the Blood Raiders and Falek Grange's wreck.

Also, if a Sansha loyalist is flying a Succubus with true slaves as the crew, can that be considered a crewless ship?

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #67 on: 22 Oct 2014, 21:07 »

Drem from TBL piloted a Curor by himself. He wasn't a capsuleer.

v0v

IKR! I always hope that when Anyanka ejects from her Cruor In space that it will warp off and fly to Aridia and shoot at a mining Raven and I'll get the killmail like WTF?

While on the subject of crewless frigs. Lest not forget, capsuleer, Lord Victor Eliade in The Empyrean Age who single-mindedly controlled a Purifier to spy on the Blood Raiders and Falek Grange's wreck.

Also, if a Sansha loyalist is flying a Succubus with true slaves as the crew, can that be considered a crewless ship?

How about that Gallentean deserter who ejected all his crew from his Myrmidon in Templar One? Yeah, sure, after which knows how long he spent limping into Mordu space his ship is in a very bad shape and he could barely aim his railguns at that Drake.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 22:27 by Elmund Egivand »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: 22 Oct 2014, 21:40 »

Just in case people were wondering, he locked the other one and said to resurrect this one. So that's why I did. I don't actually have an interest in starting up the discussion again, was just bumping the proper area for it.

I already have my opinion on it and have had the discussion ten thousand times. If anyone ever says they fly any ship other than a frig or shuttle without a crew, I either pretend it was never said or my character now thinks you are delusional. Even frigs bother me greatly, but I let it slide without reacting to it internally.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #69 on: 23 Oct 2014, 08:13 »

Disclaimer: Not trolling.

If we accept (for the moment) that ships have crews how do you RP the effects that combat manoeuvres and travel at velocities greater than light speed have on them? EVE lore, to my knowledge, doesn't address this specifically.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #70 on: 23 Oct 2014, 08:27 »

If we accept (for the moment) that ships have crews how do you RP the effects that combat manoeuvres and travel at velocities greater than light speed have on them? EVE lore, to my knowledge, doesn't address this specifically.

It was pointed out that the crew who had gone through too many warps and jumps will end up with a condition called cynosis, a psychological disorder. As for how they survive the G-force, well, I don't recall reading anything about that.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #71 on: 23 Oct 2014, 08:44 »

Combat grade inertial stabilization tech. I personally don't consider them in use on cargo vessels, or at least much weaker, so there crew is placed in what is for all intents and purposes "travel cocoons" when warping.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #72 on: 23 Oct 2014, 09:47 »

It was pointed out that the crew who had gone through too many warps and jumps will end up with a condition called cynosis, a psychological disorder. As for how they survive the G-force, well, I don't recall reading anything about that.

I think there's a drug they have to take that will suppress the effects of Cynosis at least for a while.

As for inertia - yeah, some sort of massively complex inertial dampener system. Also, some things that our ships do ingame (particularly how they rotate at low speeds) would not be realistically possible; I did some napkin math once after seeing my Apocalypse dancing about and found that the crew at the front or rear could be experiencing up to 10,000 Gs.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #73 on: 23 Oct 2014, 11:36 »

It is one of the many reasons people call it 'submarine physics' rather than space physics. EVE mechanics, in the moments they make sense at all (and often they don't, because it is a game meant to be enjoyed), largely act more like underwater settings than space.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #74 on: 23 Oct 2014, 20:00 »

In terms of warp, there are physics involving a solid amount of handwavium explaining that (special reality bubble, that sort of thing). For non-warp, yes. They've harnessed 'gravitons' so futzing about with acceleration and inertia are apparently a thing. There have been suggestions that that or the warp tech could explain the 'viscous space' issue.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8