Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers' implants translate languages for them? Read more here: Translators

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Your frigates have crew  (Read 20116 times)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
Re: Your frigates have crew
« Reply #105 on: 18 Jan 2015, 19:35 »

There are a lot of uses for crew. Maintenance, analysis of data, taking care of passengers, guards, liaison officers, cargo haulers, I personally favor having a translator slave around.

However, when going into short missions in which I usually dock within the space of an hour, I don't need all these extra hands. I certainly don't need them to start interfering with manually loading ammo in the space of a 30 second frigate fight. It doesn't make any sense to take them aboard, especially since I'm usually fighting until the ship is destroyed. The odds of crew being killed in action on such an op is extremely high. Why would non-essential personnel go on such a mission?

I have standing maintenance crews etc. on my regular bases. I hire temps on stations I don't regularly visit when I need to to unload cargo and perform maintenance. Analysis and communication is done remotely.

That's kinda what my character has a small army of: support staffs. The guys who do the dock-side maintenance and cargo unloading/loading and calibrations.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #106 on: 18 Jan 2015, 23:01 »

Yea all that sounds reasonable. On long range/intensive missions yea you're gonna bring the whole team to do the grunt work while you take care of command, but for a quick jaunt to the nearby asteroid belt with maybe a small pirate/scavenger population that your guns can blast away without much of a sweat you don't really need Billy The Loader to hang out with his thumb up his ass watching the ore flow, or if you're going on a blitz on a compound or whatever there's no reason Jimmy the Electrician needs to be at risk when your main strategy will be 'I'm gonna wreck it'.

Drones are advanced enough in this universe to handle the grunt work on the fast 'I'm getting in my gunboat frigate and I'm gonna see if I can't blow that jerk up before he blows me up', and as said before a battleship or the like doesn't just completely blow up in a second unless something huge went bad for it, there are tons of reasonable ways to have crew without the guilt of every rat trip involving letters to sobbing widows.

I like the idea of crews in our ships, or involved in them at least. Crews are fun to write about (for me at least) and they're a good device to keep the whole 'death means nothing I HAVE CLONES AND A POD I AM UNTO A GOD' deal more down to earth. It's hard to be a cackling wannabe god when Private Biff is on the drone controls and he'd super rather not get blown to crap because some dude at a bar called your jacket lame.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #107 on: 20 Jan 2015, 22:53 »

Yea all that sounds reasonable. On long range/intensive missions yea you're gonna bring the whole team to do the grunt work while you take care of command, but for a quick jaunt to the nearby asteroid belt with maybe a small pirate/scavenger population that your guns can blast away without much of a sweat you don't really need Billy The Loader to hang out with his thumb up his ass watching the ore flow, or if you're going on a blitz on a compound or whatever there's no reason Jimmy the Electrician needs to be at risk when your main strategy will be 'I'm gonna wreck it'.

Drones are advanced enough in this universe to handle the grunt work on the fast 'I'm getting in my gunboat frigate and I'm gonna see if I can't blow that jerk up before he blows me up', and as said before a battleship or the like doesn't just completely blow up in a second unless something huge went bad for it, there are tons of reasonable ways to have crew without the guilt of every rat trip involving letters to sobbing widows.

I like the idea of crews in our ships, or involved in them at least. Crews are fun to write about (for me at least) and they're a good device to keep the whole 'death means nothing I HAVE CLONES AND A POD I AM UNTO A GOD' deal more down to earth. It's hard to be a cackling wannabe god when Private Biff is on the drone controls and he'd super rather not get blown to crap because some dude at a bar called your jacket lame.

This unfortunately has always been one of the weakest parts of the game for me, CCP never makes you feel like your ship is a big ship full of people doing things.   I want to see cargo and maintenance loading and unloading when I dock, I want to see little drones doing minor repairs, I want to see a steady stream of ants up and down loading ramps  :(

There have been lots of awesome suggestions for crews as a module related item that can boost or hinder performance, and even gain experience.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #108 on: 23 Jan 2015, 09:20 »

This unfortunately has always been one of the weakest parts of the game for me, CCP never makes you feel like your ship is a big ship full of people doing things.   I want to see cargo and maintenance loading and unloading when I dock, I want to see little drones doing minor repairs, I want to see a steady stream of ants up and down loading ramps  :(

[/quote]

I want this so much

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #109 on: 23 Jan 2015, 09:42 »

I want this so much
[/quote]

Also an optional 'write letter of condolences' button.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #110 on: 23 Jan 2015, 10:39 »

I was Lead Designer/Researcher on a Flight Sim by Microprose that generated letters of condolence for you to sign for all your dead crew. :D

(I actually thought it gave your crew deaths some meaning)

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2015, 13:50 by Pieter Tuulinen »

Anskek

« Reply #111 on: 23 Jan 2015, 10:44 »

....and I thought I was morbid.  :eek:

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #112 on: 23 Jan 2015, 10:51 »

I want this so much

I was Lead Designer/Researcher on a Flight Sim by Microprose that generated letters of condolence for you to sign for all your dead crew. :D

(I actually thought it gave your crew deaths some meaning)

I just want you people to learn how to use and close quoteboxes. :P

MUH OCD.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #113 on: 23 Jan 2015, 11:03 »

I was actually hoping after rigs came out that ccp would consider adding crew to the game. Sort of like implants for your ship.

Anskek

« Reply #114 on: 23 Jan 2015, 11:05 »

Make crew management FTL style for maximum keyboard breaking.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #115 on: 23 Jan 2015, 11:44 »

Make crew management FTL style for maximum keyboard breaking.

PVP while managing crew? Are you some kind of micro god?

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #116 on: 23 Jan 2015, 12:58 »

To do that, you'd have to be able to pause like in FTL. No was thinking either ships could have fitting slots like rigs for things like gunnery officers, engineers, damage control teams. As a bonus they could be made by players and would give a use for all those passengers and slaves we find lying around.

Or they could be consumed with some sort of mechanic similar to overheating. Want to repair even faster? Throw someone out the airlock with a roll of duct tape.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #117 on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:04 »

I would love for crews to actually provide  meaningful choices like hiring by force tourists, or the damsel or whoever you pick up in space... For pirates it would offer a lot of rp material and more generally a way to materialize what happens to npc characters .

More generally the same way we use PI for goods, i would love to see the same thing adapted for human npc, be it dirty human trafficking (concretising what we alreeady do ingame anyway) or more civil training and even baseliner education... With options to free slaves ofc but also promoting those characters and crews....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]