Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "Perfection ain't all it's cracked up to be" is an Angel Cartel saying? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Your frigates have crew  (Read 20118 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Your frigates have crew
« Reply #15 on: 01 Aug 2011, 08:17 »

Oh well overlooked that whoops.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #16 on: 01 Aug 2011, 09:03 »

It's funny, though. when I first started playing EVE and RPing it, I wanted my frigates to have a crew too, but was disappointed when I was told that frigates do not have a crew.

A year later, I've grown used to that, and now I am told precisely what I've hoped for in the beginning. Now I don't like that idea, and I want my lack of crew back.

CCP just can't win for losing! :P

I'll get used to this too, I suppose.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #17 on: 01 Aug 2011, 09:37 »

According to "The Burning Life" novel, crews on capsuleer vessels are only responsible for cleaning, maintenance and other similar tasks. There's no indication that crew operates any of the ship's essential systems, this is ironically opposite of some of the Chronicles, namely All These Lives Are Fit to Ruin

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 01 Aug 2011, 12:04 »

I really wish they had included a "Minimum crew required for a fully operational (i.e., fully fitted out) ship" - as opposed to the "minumum crew for an unfitted ship" and "maximum people you can stuff onboard, with passengers and all" they have now. Seems to be a giant, obvious hole missing.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #19 on: 01 Aug 2011, 12:08 »

They have that, really. That's the difference between "minimum crew" and "maximum capacity", with room for folks to sort of personalize things.

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #20 on: 01 Aug 2011, 12:18 »

I doubt a fully fitted frigate could operate with just one capsuleer.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #21 on: 01 Aug 2011, 12:28 »

Ah, I remember arguing in local with a victim that the loss of my Succubus for his Vexor was worthwhile because I had not lost any crew; he did. We went back and forth over the nature of my Succubus a bit before we left to keep on going.

It's nice to know frigates have a crew of some kind, but ultimately I feel a well equipped enough Capsuleer can forgo such crew. Someone just getting into a Punisher probably needs them, but I'd be fine with veteran imperial flyers not having any.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #22 on: 01 Aug 2011, 13:10 »

Robots

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #23 on: 01 Aug 2011, 13:32 »

No crew means substantially less effective ships.

This is convenient for me because I am terrible at EVE.  ;)
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 01 Aug 2011, 13:56 »

Specially trained Fedos instead of crew.

Or even better, ponies.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #25 on: 01 Aug 2011, 14:48 »

CCP Public Library

Just when we think we understand it all, CCP changes something! From news items to chronicles, discuss all things PF here.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #26 on: 01 Aug 2011, 15:25 »

CCP Public Library

Just when we think we understand it all, CCP changes something! From news items to chronicles, discuss all things PF here.

:lol:  :psyccp:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 01 Aug 2011, 19:59 »

Drem from TBL piloted a Curor by himself. He wasn't a capsuleer.

v0v

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #28 on: 01 Aug 2011, 20:25 »

Quote from: Thread Title
Your frigates have crew
Your protein delicacies have people. Your coffee has ice. Your robots have sentience.

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #29 on: 03 Aug 2011, 01:00 »

Very neat, I like these numbers. Also makes it clear that stuff like modules, i.e. a gun battery, require dedicated gunnery crews, etc.
I don't understand at all how/why a gun battery would need people operating it.

First, I find it VERY unlikely that humans could load 140 rounds of (very large) ammo into a gun in ten seconds. Secondly, it's fairly obvious that the guns are not manually aimed nor fired as the calculations to do so would be well beyond a person's ability (hell, even guns on current military ships are mostly aimed by computer).

Perhaps I could see a crewman injecting NRP into a gun, but for the most part it seems like it would be very inefficient to have humans doing most of the work.

Quite frankly, the whole thing reeks of simply 'a crew for the sake of a crew' as I can see absolutely no actual benefit in having a bunch of humans scuttling around your ship. Cleaning? Why? What needs to be cleaned (while in space) if there are no people there? Surely stations offer cleaning services. Same with general maintenance.

All that said, if they are going to say 'ships have a crew', they should give them a purpose. For instance, random gun jamming (that is offset by your gun skills) that would need to be repaired. The jam could be fixed faster if your maintenance crew is well skilled. Perhaps faster cap recharge time if you have a well skilled engineering team, better jam chances if you have a better electronics team and more fighter DPS if you have higher skilled fighter pilots.

Nothing game breaking, but something that makes crews make sense because right now they seem to be nothing more than the extras you see walking down the corridors in every Star Trek episode.

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8