Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Capsuleer Medical Issues  (Read 9659 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Capsuleer Medical Issues
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jul 2011, 15:25 »

* Seriphyn always wondered about muscle atrophy and being hairless with new clones, but the Cromeaux article says "exact copies"

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 27 Jul 2011, 15:28 »

Istvaan, are you reading this?

There's a passage in one of the hellgremlin pieces where one of your young male protagonists gets taken to (from memory) some sort of dive which happens to have an operator with the gear to do a body scan. The operator asks whether our protagonist is (again from memory) "Fresh or reconstituted?". Do you have a link for this? It's one of the scenes that -- while non-canonical -- influenced my understanding of EVE "cloning".

Yep, still got that up somewhere. Hang on.

http://eve.klaki.net/fiction/infection.html
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2011, 15:30 by hellgremlin »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jul 2011, 18:23 »

Yep, still got that up somewhere. Hang on.

http://eve.klaki.net/fiction/infection.html

Thank you.

“Now, a couple of quick questions”, Farrad cooed, tapping keys on a pad on the side of the mod-bed and waving another surgeon over to assist him. “Are you fresh squeezed, or from concentrate?” The fetishist was, of course, referring to Hamish’s clone status – the skeletal structure of clones was quite different from that of trueborn human beings. Hamish had never been cloned.

For me, this reinforced the following:

Culturing a clone takes several months, but all clone stations store generic clones that are only put to use when a client buys it. The skull, and frequently other bones as well, is replaced by osteoplastic materials – soft synthetic bone polymers that can be shaped and then hardened by gamma laser irradiation. In this way, facial features and other body marks and textures can be applied very quickly. The process is very quick and is applied as soon as the clone is purchased. A similar technique is also used to adjust skin tones and give special skin marks, such as tattoos and scars. This means that the featureless clone is quickly transformed into an identical twin of the client.

Note that that passage is specifically about generic clones, and the over-all section on clone manufacturing had me going "Oh, they're like this", "No, they like that", "Huh, are they talking about different types of products here, and which bits relate to what?"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jul 2011, 18:45 »

Problems that arise from various tubetry in various orificery.

Also pod goo related problems if all the orifices are not plugged.

There is nothing like crapping out a gallon of pod goo because you wanted to fly au naturel, also the infections that it brings.

I recently won a sub to EON. I've been enjoying the Knowledgebase articles EON carries, while also (sweetly, gently) raging that this info isn't available to the general audience.

There's an article in the spring 2011 EON about hydrostatic fluid (pod goo). I've quoted a few paragraphs from it before, so let me cut and paste:

Quote from: EON, Issue #23, Spring 2011, Knowledge Base: Hydrostatic Fluid, p. 79
As a matter of course, hydrostatic fluid is loaded with various kinds of nanotech, from bio-engineered organisms to more complex nanomachines that work to cleanse the fluid of impurities akin to an elaborate extra-corporeal immune system. Such a mix of nanites can be very complex, almost like an entire ecosystem designed to eliminate poisons and bacteria from the fluid in which the pilot is immersed, as well as material from the body that might be collected later by unscrupulous elements looking to utilize material that contains capsuleer DNA.

I've always assumed the default is that you don't wear clothes in the pod, by the way: I think there was even a comment at its launch that the black shorts on the pilot in the Incarna depodding teaser were there because of ratings. I'm aware that there's also a tradition of pod suits, but my reading of the current work on pod goo is that you'd be far better off without a suit.

(Also, what's amiss with this hypothetical pilot's sphincters? "Gallons"? Please keep such pilots away from baths, pools and jacuzzis.)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jul 2011, 00:59 »

For the goo to keep the body more resistant against G-forces I would gather that it should be pressurized. Support for the body from a flight suit could be useful as well.

If all of your muscles stop working when your mind goes away to do ship stuff, why would your sphincter be an exception?

Of course the control of the muscles that work with reflexes instead of conscious control, in addition to the uncontrollable muscles like the ones in your intestinal walls, could be still present in the 'vacant' body of the pilot therefore leaving the most embarrassing phenomena out of the picture.

Also if the pod goo is a universal immune system that destroys bacteria willy nilly, then it would wreck havoc on your digestive system if you would swallow it or have some of it slip into your colon.

Which is also one of the problems with having clones that have immune deficiencies.

A human digestive system is housing millions of different kinds of bacteria, I'm not certain, but as far as I know, it takes years for a child to have the capability to digest regular food as its body and the bacteria in their digestive system adapts to processing liquids to solids.

Which makes most of the clone stuff pretty hand wavey...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #35 on: 28 Jul 2011, 06:20 »

Regarding broken bones and such from my earlier comment.

My mistake, I was misunderstanding how the body was affected during the healing process, ignore me.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #36 on: 03 Aug 2011, 13:18 »

Both of my characters have biology and nanite control at four or five, which I imagine means they are as knowledgeable as any doctor and are familiar with the status of every cell in their bodies.   Combined that with great wealth and I don't play them has having any illness.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 Aug 2011, 13:51 »

For the goo to keep the body more resistant against G-forces I would gather that it should be pressurized. Support for the body from a flight suit could be useful as well.

If all of your muscles stop working when your mind goes away to do ship stuff, why would your sphincter be an exception?
<snip>

I've always thought of it as the pod systems keep your physical body ticking over while your brain is interfaced with the ship.

There is a series of books called The Legacy of The Aldenata by John Ringo (volume 1 is "A Hymn Before Battle" and is available as a free ebook from his publisher, Baen). Some of the major characters in that fight in power armour. The decriptions of the interface there and the "biotic underlayer" that absorbs and recycyles the user's wastes and sweat are generally the way I think of pod goo.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #38 on: 03 Aug 2011, 17:38 »

I vaguely remember a Celeste IGS rant about ... ah ha, found it!   

Also, in the 'hormonal disruption due to jump cloning' supposition, there's an absence of clone differentiation data. How many of the sample population were organic (in original bodies or vat-grown clones) or manufactured (in clones made of biomass sculpted over plastic skeletons)? How many of the sample organic population regulated their hormonal cycles? Did they do the same for their jump clones? How many of the sample manufactured population opted to simulate their original hormonal cycles? Were these simulations erratic or regulated? Were regulated hormonal cycles, whether natural or simulated, synchronized across jump clones?

Yeah, just another one of those messy (pun intended) little bits of information we don't know about the capsuleering process.  Even if female capsuleers are sterile, they could have hormonal cycles ... unless they're in permanent menopause, which could come with its own cluster of problems.  Not so much osteoporosis, thank goodness, thanks to the plastic skeleton.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #39 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:35 »

I bet getting podded a lot can make you lose your mind.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #40 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:25 »

Does chronic high blood pressure count?  :D

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #41 on: 17 Aug 2011, 15:13 »

There's gotta be a reason why the Jovians avoid knowing their manner of death post-cloning.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #42 on: 17 Aug 2011, 20:13 »

There's gotta be a reason why the Jovians avoid knowing their manner of death post-cloning.

They do?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:43 »

Yup.

Theodicy.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Zag

« Reply #44 on: 19 Aug 2011, 11:28 »

I always did wonder if pods have a sticker on the side from CONCORD with: "Prolonged and extended use may cause irreversible neurological damage."

Conjecture certainly, but I always thought the Jovian Disease was due to their love affair for interfacing with spaceships and transferring their brain damage to iterative generations of their clones.

Pages: 1 2 [3]