Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis stole one of the six Soltueur-class Titans from the Gallente Federation?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Capsuleer Medical Issues  (Read 9660 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Capsuleer Medical Issues
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:48 »

I think the general weakness of capsuleer immune systems has been mentioned before - we can just hang out in our pods, which probably have their own system for keeping us healthy, and a weak immune system minimized graft vs host issues when you're in a clone that your immune system doesn't like.

This might not be such an issue for people who spend months and months in the same clone, but we'd need to know more about how cloning works to put that together.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:02 »

I always treated the "station atmosphere not yet decontaminated" message as a tongue-in-cheek remark amounting to "c'mon guys, give us a bit of time to work" with a kernel of truth.  It stands to reason that clones -- particularly new ones -- would have a weaker immune system, at least from my limited understanding, given that they've not been exposed to the various pathogens and other nasties floating about. Best I can tell, though, it also seems reasonable to assume that there'd be the opportunity for a modified or cybernetically augmented immune system to try and sidestep this; both technologies are pretty damn advanced in New Eden. Another route would be 'old-school' immunomodulation drugs, I guess, shooting them up with immunostimulants.

Could clones left in storage for extended periods of time be sequentially exposed to the more common pathogens, perhaps, to generate an immune response before use, much like a series of vaccines? It's not a field I can ever claim to know well, but it seems reasonable.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:02 »

Well, the way the human immune system works would strongly suggest that Capsuleers basically have a form of AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome).  The reason being is that your immune system works by experiencing strains of viruses, tumors, bacteria and storing the genetic composition of those organisms in proteins and other molecules in order to quickly recognize and attack them in the future.

Without experiencing those pathogens and viruses to start with, the body has no quick way to respond and counter their spread and attack on the system.

However, you could logically argue that clones are injected with several vaccines and strains while in incubation in order to steel them against the more common viruses, bacteria and pathogens that would be faced in day-to-day life. This would allow capsuleers to operate relatively normally outside of their pod.

As for specific things to a capsuleer, molecular degeneration of poorly composed clones is a possibility. There could be issues with the DNA reconstruction process that takes place after you jump into a clone. (PF suggests that new clones do not gain your DNA until after you've jumped into them and been there for some time).

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:34 »

I think that's actually the strongest argument I've seen for isolation Capsuleers from the general population. If we were permitted to mix with the local population, we'd be swapping pathogens with them, etc. We'd be exposed to stuff that our bodies have never seen before and will likely kill us - but that's the lesser concern. The real problem is the reverse: We're going to pick up the New Eden version of small pox while out in the far reaches of nullsec, bring it back to Jita 4-4, and wipe out the entire civilian population whose immune systems are completely unprepared.

Consider the degree to which we quarantine people traveling to certain countries on our planet during viral outbreaks - not expand that from an individual planet to thousands of planets, hundreds of systems, etc. Honestly, thinking about it for the first time, I think the immune and pathogen issues would explain the isolation of capsuleers from other people better than anything else. On the other hand, that same issue should make things like the release of a generation of Matari from the Empire to the Republic into a form of biological warfare.

Blasted inconsistencies.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:36 »

On the other hand, that same issue should make things like the release of a generation of Matari from the Empire to the Republic into a form of biological warfare.

Hahahahaha. Raze keeps telling people it wasn't a "savvy political maneuver" by Empress Sarum...

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2011, 09:08 »

Sterile Conduits
   Sustaining diverse populations of station inhabitants - many of whom come from different worlds with different ecologies - was a medical nightmare until the development of sterile conduits. Each length of flexible, self-repairing tube is powered by breaking down the chemical energy in the water they convey, which itself is laced with smart vaccines able to identify and destroy almost any known antigen.

I'm not sure exactly how this would apply, but it seems that society has already accounted for that situation you described, Victoria. At least to some degree.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2011, 09:39 »

Bah! Foiled again by my old enemies, handwavium and :nanites:, in the shape of a massive raised middle finger to old ally science.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2011, 09:44 »

Bah! Foiled again by my old enemies, handwavium and :nanites:, in the shape of a massive raised middle finger to old ally science.

"Captain! The Trollface-Class Titan CCP is charging it's doomsday device, Handwave Cannon!"

"Arm all forward cannons! I want Science and Analysis primed to full, locked and loaded! Divert all remaining power to forward defensive batteries "Logic and Rationality!"

"I don't know how much more she can take, captain! CCP is adding Nanite charges to their weapon!"

"Nanites?" *Sigh* "We've lost this one, soldiers. Full tactical retreat!"

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2011, 10:59 »

Problems that arise from various tubetry in various orificery.

Also pod goo related problems if all the orifices are not plugged.

There is nothing like crapping out a gallon of pod goo because you wanted to fly au naturel, also the infections that it brings.

Extended periods in the pod could lead to all the shit that the Matrix dealt with, light sensitivity of the eyes and muscle deterioration.

Not to mention all the psychological stuff, but they are pretty much moot.
Because it seems all the capsuleers are nutters.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:01 »

Podder hemorrhoids could be terrible, yes.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:10 »

On a semi-related note, how would capsuleers deal with more mundane issues. For example, a new capsuleer without jumpclone access slips in the shower and breaks an arm. Now what?

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:49 »

On a semi-related note, how would capsuleers deal with more mundane issues. For example, a new capsuleer without jumpclone access slips in the shower and breaks an arm. Now what?

I imagine they'd have to do what any other person would do and visit the medical facilities to have the arm mended. (It should also be noted that the 'break' becomes coded into your DNA and will likely be reflected in future clones.)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2011, 13:16 »

I imagine they'd have to do what any other person would do and visit the medical facilities to have the arm mended. (It should also be noted that the 'break' becomes coded into your DNA and will likely be reflected in future clones.)

On this we may disagree. Things which cause or are caused by genetic mutation/irregularities may carry over between clones, but simple injuries like broken bones, scars, burns, tattoos, etc, do not have any impact on DNA and shouldn't carry over between clones. Now, certain silly capsuleers may want to bring their scars and tattoos with them, but unless you ask them to break the arm on your clone before you jump to it, it won't come with you. Even an irregularity left behind by an imperfect healing process still has no impact on the DNA, should not transfer to other clones.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2011, 14:02 »

DNA degenerates because of radiation.

One of the reasons that the probability of cancer gets higher as people get older.

A breach in the radiation shielding of the pod causing shorter lifetimes for capsuleers?
Greater chance of tumors anywhere in the body?
The speedy generation of tissue for the clone making the problem worse?
Superpowers?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #29 on: 27 Jul 2011, 14:59 »

Shorter lifetimes for a given clone, perhaps, but most of our clones don't live long enough for that to be an issue, do they?

Also, I cannot understand why broken bones and other injuries would get coded into DNA. Does Lamarckism exist in EVE?
Pages: 1 [2] 3