Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tanking a Harbinger for L3s - UGH  (Read 4772 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Tanking a Harbinger for L3s - UGH
« on: 26 Jun 2011, 14:26 »

I don't know why I'm having such a time with this darn thing. I'm really trying. My tank wasn't holding up in a L2 against mercs, and I survived mainly because it was a L2 and there weren't many enemies around to break the buffer.

What am I doing wrong here?

Code: [Select]
[Harbinger, New Setup 1 copy 1]
Heat Sink II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II

10MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Heavy Modal Pulse Laser I, Multifrequency M
Auto Targeting System I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Tanking a Harbinger for L3s - UGH
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2011, 14:31 »

Out of curiosity: What's your BC skill level?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2011, 14:40 »

Three. I should probably get it to four. I had to check just to make sure, because I thought it was four... but then I realized I didn't rightly know -what- it was at. I haven't had problems with the other three tier 2 BCs. This is the first one giving me any headache. My armor skills aren't the best either, having trained shield first and primarily. Even so, they aren't bad.

EFT is showing my defense to be a measly 184 against mercs with all level 5 skills. At my current skill levels... 172.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2011, 14:43 »

which mission ?, also for mercenaries, kin/kin/th is more usual.
\o/

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2011, 14:44 »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2011, 15:58 »

I've done that mission several times recently while I was grinding with RKN to fix my Amarr faction standing. My tactic for it was to snipe the assault frig rats while they were at range, and then just shoot the Lieutenants as they spawned, ignoring the Commanders.

You're not using T2 guns so you won't have the advantage of Scorch, but you should experiment in the meantime with a couple of the longer-range crystals to see if you can get enough damage while staying in optimal - and do train for the T2 guns, the ability to use Scorch is well worth it.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2011, 17:36 »

First and foremost, the guns you're using are too heavy with too low of tracking to deal with frigates. Since you're not using webifiers, you'll need to equip slightly smaller guns. I recommend Focused Medium Anode Pulse Particle Stream Is, as they have a very good mix of range and firepower.

Secondly, three hardeners is going to make things really hard on your capacitor for tanking. I recommend dropping the second Thermic Hardener and putting on some plating to give you a larger buffer. The armor rep and DC will help you reduce damage intake pretty significantly and the buffer with the plating will give you plenty of time to take some hits.

Beyond that, I recommend carrying three crystal types with you. Radio, Standard and X-Ray (or Multifrequency). Switch them out based on the range of the encounter (using Standard if your entire tank modules are active, as it is the easiest on your capacitor and will allow you to tank for longer). When engaging frigates, fly away from them - in a straight line. This will allow you to hit them from farther away and reduce their transversal by quite a bit.

You probably already knew most of that, but it's just basic advice in case you didn't. :) Hope it helps!

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2011, 02:03 »

You should be able to take out the frigs with drones.

You could consider losing the ab and the heat sink and adding a fourth cap recharger and a second repper. Also, rigging with triple CCCs.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2011, 02:07 »

I'd suggest hopping into a BS.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Desiderya

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2011, 05:05 »

Think about fitting a Tracking Enhancer (low) or Tracking Computer (med) if you're having trouble to apply your damage.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2011, 05:21 »

How's your drone skills? They are usually the best way to take care of pesky frigates. As for scorch, lvl2's just don't justify the costs of the crystals.

I'd also recommend going 2x kin hard 2x therm hard rep and dc II for the lows and changing ofc the hards to suit the mission at hand but that's a given.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:08 »

Well, Level 2s shouldn't give me any problem if I can properly tank the Harb for L3s. Unfortunately, if a L2 is giving me trouble, it means a L3 will outright get me killed.

So, I'm trying to get the optimal tradeoff between DPS and tank with this thing.

I could drop the AB, true, but I'm wary of having NO damage mods on this boat. Is it really a good idea to go without heat sinks?

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:24 »

I currently fly a Harbinger for L3s, let me show you what I'm using:

--High--
7x Focused Medium Anode Particle Stream I (Beam Lasers) (Don't have the skills for t2 guns yet)

--Med--
Y-58 Hydrocarbon Afterburner
3x Cap Recharger II

--Low--
Damage Control II
2x C-Type Corpii Small Armor Repairer (This will be replaced with 1 Medium Armor Repair II when I have the skills)
Armor Kinetic Hardener II   (Switch as necessary based on who we're engaging)
Armor Explosive Hardener II  (Switch as necessary based on who we're engaging)
Heat Sink II
(Will be replacing one of the Armor Repairers with a tracking enhancer once I have the skills)

This set up tanks pretty solidly for about 10 minutes and can repair 184 DPS without losing its armor. Just alternate turning the reppers on as needed and kill the afterburner when the cap reaches 50% and you can tank pretty much indefinitely.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:33 »

What do you use for rigs?

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:38 »

Oh...right. I currently don't have any rigs on it because again, I don't have the skills for it.

Once I have the skills, I'll be adding:

Medium Energy Collision Accelerator II
Pages: [1] 2