Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char once gave Kaleigh Doyle a lamb as a pet?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What kind of Rp do you like doing the most/least ?  (Read 9178 times)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
Re: What kind of Rp do you like doing the most/least ?
« Reply #60 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:19 »

I have never had any problems whatsoever to find good targets for duo-gangs in FW land yet, so I really don't get the complaints about how people are unable to get fights with small numbers.  :psyccp:

Edit: Incidentally (or not!  ;) ) the most fun I had in eve was in such small groups, especially when we kill vagas / cynabals with two or three af's.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #61 on: 14 Jun 2011, 05:32 »

Ideology, with a little Soap mixed in.  I've yet to be involved in Power rp, so I don't know if I enjoy it.

One thing I like about Simon's relationship with the ILF is that I think there's a very clear sense that Simon and them are not on the same side, but that the context of that struggle makes going after one another in space a non-answer.  Unrelated, I think my least favorite form of rp is heavy soap.  I end up getting trauma fatigue and then I just stop caring.

In reply to Louella's question, I play both, but I don't favor pnp exclusively because:
1) I can play Eve whenever I have time, instead of once or twice a month when the whole group can get together over a table.
2) Eve has better graphics.
3) PnP doesn't usually feature much in the S&I department, nor does it have an intricate economy.
4) The type of involvement in Eve pve and a tabletop game are pretty different, and I find Eve to be somewhat relaxing, instead of fun but draining.  I'm usually brain dead after four hours of running a tabletop game.
5) The forum/evemail/chat channel scene is much livelier than an online pnp game.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #62 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:41 »

Soap: Characters personalities are in conflict. Social occasions, conversations, interactions and gossip are the major battlegrounds and weapons, escalating into assassinations in space, wars and exploding things.

I can enjoy these things. I very much like Revan's social events when the mood takes me, I like to portray the human side of Jade there with dancing, nightclub singing general chitchat and interactions and its something I find quite disappointing now that this form of roleplay in general has become quite  remote from things in space on all sides. I'd love there to be less general narkiness in the RP community and have people more comfortable sharing each other's social events and flowing more naturally to consequences in space as a result.

Back in the grand old days of the server in the first couple of years we had far fewer established nightclubs/bars/social points but more active RP'ers frequenting them and the atmosphere was better.

Ideology: Characters ideas are in conflict. Forum debates, news articles, are the initial sources of disagreement, escalating into wars and shooting.

This can be heinously boring where the characters are a stuck record and just keep endlessly repeating the same stuff for years and years. I like to see characters evolving and changing and reacting to new situations and I'd far rather interact with somebody capable of showing human emotions than with an endless array of sterotypes mouthing PF propaganda. I try to encourage the stuff I like by being supportive and respectful of characters who can change and react in a natural manner while being generally curt and dismissive with those that just keep the same monotone.

But on the plus point - a couple of interesting characters with a fresh ideology and ability to react and change to external stimulus can make the game very good indeed.

Power: Characters economic, military or other material goals are in conflict. Parking your tanks on someone else's lawn is the start of things. Wars and explosions soon follow.

Its good but there are some ways if can become boring too (in RP terms). For example, I love talking over the ideology of conflict, the psychology of warfare - the reasons for fighting, I love dramatising (mythologizing) conflict and playing the role of the "warrior-bard" who fights and tells the tale to help those not on the field to relive the conflict anew. But I just yawn when people start doing the nit-picking about efficiency, k/d ratio, analytics on multiple corp success ratios against x,y,z targets. That stuff is terrible. Also NBSI corps claiming they are elite because they have 100x the kills of NRDS corps - bah tbh.

I guess my take is its great when it feeds creativity and narative and allows expression of in-game ideologies and helps suspend disbelief and progress the storyline of our lets believe conflicts. But its terrible when it turns into some wierd stats-based baseball comparison with maths geeks twisting figures to produce some kind of technical win. Its why I prefer to summarise the outcomes of our wars with something like "we killed 3 ships for everyone one we lost and we blew up their tower!" rather than posting 10 pages of killboard links with infinitely detailed statistical analysis.

I would say that mostly, it is the ideology that I like more, when there is enough PF to make it interesting. E.g. the difference of opinion with the Sani-sabik space nuns that led to the Doll Wars, and the interpreting of Scripture that I engage in with some of the more traditional Amarr characters. I also like a bit of soap from time to time, depending on the characters involved, e.g. when I took various people shopping for things for a social function. What do you prefer doing?

My perfect RP day would probably be:

An interesting discussion on IGS on freespace ideology vs criminal cartels with some characters that had moved close to us in-game and wanted to know our position on various kinds of engagement possibilities and had the genuine possibility of making allies, making enemies, making profit for in-game effect.

A nice military engagement against ideological foes that ended with discussion of corporate outlooks and guerilla tactics in local / long range assassination mission in Fedakyin bombers against a key target where I get to roleplay on Voice coms telling my fleet to "run silent, activate sublight drives and clear torpedo tubes for firing" before the attack begins.

Some relaxation in La Maison or one of Revan's nightclubs with a little music, in-character discussion and probably Jade singing something by kirsty maccoll on stage in a little black dress.

Bonus points if is followed by a conversation with a younger character wanting to know about the role of the revolutionary in new eden while we drink shots at the bar.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker
« Reply #63 on: 14 Jun 2011, 13:08 »

I can enjoy these things. I very much like Revan's social events when the mood takes me, I like to portray the human side of Jade there with dancing, nightclub singing general chitchat and interactions and its something I find quite disappointing now that this form of roleplay in general has become quite  remote from things in space on all sides. I'd love there to be less general narkiness in the RP community and have people more comfortable sharing each other's social events and flowing more naturally to consequences in space as a result.

Actually, it has never been better. When you take for the example the current event at IGS, and see that in just 5 days it checked over 60 role players of all sorts of backgrounds going in and out the channel interacting pretty much around the clock and enjoying a venue which has brought several consequences at space ( war decs, merc scamms, pods, assassinations ) , you actually have to give credit to the advancement of eve community in such regards.
We have all sorts, from old veterans to fresh starters,  former enemies and friends, role players to anti role players now starting to take taste for it. Together they are creating a fantastic environment that I havent seen so dynamic before.
I for one, am very impressed with such developments and I trust that social interactions will be a trend to stay regarding player driven events.
On that note, I've seen many of you here participating and and enjoying your time with us. It's been a pleasure.

Erotic Evil: Sexy and Dirty, Dirty Rich.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #64 on: 14 Jun 2011, 15:13 »

I have never had any problems whatsoever to find good targets for duo-gangs in FW land yet, so I really don't get the complaints about how people are unable to get fights with small numbers.  :psyccp:

Edit: Incidentally (or not!  ;) ) the most fun I had in eve was in such small groups, especially when we kill vagas / cynabals with two or three af's.

Gotta agree, really... never have a hard time finding stuff to shoot with small gangs of frigates.

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #65 on: 14 Jun 2011, 20:42 »

Although I think for my absolute favorite interactions I enjoy humorous verbal battles of wits / conversations/ sparring more than anything else.

Finding a particularly good quip or witty remark at the right time in a real-time IC comm channel is just the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned.  Some of my favorite interactions have been the ones that end up as hilarious witty interjections from friends and enemies.

This, in any of the three categories, is my favorite as well.  Unfortunately I don't always come up to bat with the proper equipment. :(

In response to Lae's AF duo post, I saw that he had a very good weekend doing just that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]