Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Jin-Mei homeworlds of Lirsautton III and V are called Chakaux and Chandeille respectively?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What kind of Rp do you like doing the most/least ?  (Read 9179 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: What kind of Rp do you like doing the most/least ?
« Reply #30 on: 06 Jun 2011, 23:35 »

I think it interesting all three of your options end up in explosions  8)

Especially considering how rarely explosions actually seem to happen when RPers are involved (at least in my experience).

Bacc wins the thread. Game, set and Match, sir.  :)

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #31 on: 07 Jun 2011, 05:08 »

Especially considering how rarely explosions actually seem to happen when RPers are involved (at least in my experience).

Bacc wins the thread. Game, set and Match, sir.  :)

Ah but those are "rp'ed" explosions - often they don't have to happen in space at all :)

Serious point though. I do think the ooc-angst and grief we tend to have between rp'ers actually reduces the amount of space combat significantly. People get so het up about the feuds and vendettas and massive forum fights that the stakes are raised for space pvp beyond people's ability (or desire) to take risks.

Its something worth considering anyway.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Aodha Khan

« Reply #32 on: 07 Jun 2011, 06:53 »

Power with a sprinkle of ideology. Stay away from the soap as much as possible. Full of drama merchants who rather get excited by pretending to do stuff than actually doing it.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #33 on: 07 Jun 2011, 08:26 »

You know what RP I like the least? Seriphyn being told he needs to get laid. It's funny because it comes from the same people who insist he still sleeps around. Not really RP, likely just OOC attacks.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #34 on: 07 Jun 2011, 09:14 »

I prefer a mix of all three.

I've always put Verone and his supporting characters in a position that maximises social interaction (for instance by creating The Last Gate), and I prefer social RP to anything else.

A good healthy mix of this, along with some "Power" RP given Ethan's position and that of his supporting  characters is always good fun.

I just wish I had more time to host RP events at The Last Gate, although I'm not sure anyone would be even remotely interested in partaking of them.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #35 on: 07 Jun 2011, 11:30 »

If you're not going to fire spaceship layz0rs at each other, why EVE and not pen/paper?

e.g. in the last Doll War, my opposition engaged while outmatched (1 cruiser + punisher vs my cruiser) and I engaged outnumbered (retribution vs 3 punishers. I lost, but killed 2 punishers + 1 pod).

it seems other people wouldn't fight those, and would have just spun in station instead. so why EVE and not paper?
\o/

Shern

• Clonejack
« Reply #36 on: 07 Jun 2011, 15:19 »

I always seem to start with Power and Ideology and wind up doing soap style stuff, even if just with 'extra' characters rather than with my main.  I guess I like peppering my war stories with human interest.

I like roleplaying to come out of things that actually happened in-game.  It's much more fun for me for rp to come out of a patrol I actually did, or a deal that actually happened, rather than totally 'scripted' stuff.  I like not knowing what will happen next.

I especially like that in Eve, unlike many other games, violence is always an option.  That edge of danger..

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #37 on: 07 Jun 2011, 17:37 »

I'd come at it from a different angle. I like the fact that violence is always an option, and one I can choose not to take if I'm not interested in it.

I mean, one of the reasons I haven't been doing much in EVE lately besides roleplaying and being un-chill on the forums is because what I enjoy about EVE is making money and getting cool new ships. But without other people to show my cool new ships to, and with no real desire to PvP, I don't really have any reason to get cool new ships. The only reason I make money is to buy cool new ships, and buy skills so I can fly the cool new ships that I've bought, and two of my coolest, newest ships (my Tengu and my Noctis) make me more than enough money to get afford it all. (Also, on another note, CCP haven't released all that many cool new ships lately).

I guess in terms of the categories, it depends on my mood. None of my RP really translates into internet spaceship battles because I don't have the resources or the manpower to fight one - yeah, I admit it. Go ahead and mock me for that if you want. Even if I did, I'm not sure I'd want to take people into random wars based solely on what my character had been doing.

Actually, what would make me happiest is if I could turn Mixed Metaphor into a ~20-30 man mission/industry corporation that can defend itself when trouble comes knocking.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #38 on: 07 Jun 2011, 18:07 »

Actually, what would make me happiest is if I could turn Mixed Metaphor into a ~20-30 man mission/industry corporation that can defend itself when trouble comes knocking.

I've always thought that should be a relatively straightforward endeavor. The trick is the fact that it's a roleplay corp.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #39 on: 07 Jun 2011, 19:00 »

I'd come at it from a different angle. I like the fact that violence is always an option, and one I can choose not to take if I'm not interested in it.

I mean, one of the reasons I haven't been doing much in EVE lately besides roleplaying and being un-chill on the forums is because what I enjoy about EVE is making money and getting cool new ships. But without other people to show my cool new ships to, and with no real desire to PvP, I don't really have any reason to get cool new ships. The only reason I make money is to buy cool new ships, and buy skills so I can fly the cool new ships that I've bought, and two of my coolest, newest ships (my Tengu and my Noctis) make me more than enough money to get afford it all. (Also, on another note, CCP haven't released all that many cool new ships lately).

I guess in terms of the categories, it depends on my mood. None of my RP really translates into internet spaceship battles because I don't have the resources or the manpower to fight one - yeah, I admit it. Go ahead and mock me for that if you want. Even if I did, I'm not sure I'd want to take people into random wars based solely on what my character had been doing.

Andreus, it seems like you could achieve what you want by joining MXD onto a larger alliance. You'd have the autonomy of and RP of your own corp structure, and people to fly with should you want them.

I can think of one that could use you....

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #40 on: 07 Jun 2011, 19:28 »

Right now we're kind of in a quandary. I've had personal offers from two alliances to come and fight alongside them (one of which I don't think I should talk about in public, and the other one I know I'm not allowed to talk about in public). Add on top of this that Damar Rocarion has shown his utterly unwelcome face in Intaki again with his usual toolbox of bugs and exploits that CCP ignore petitions about, and we're in an awkward situation as to where exactly we want to go and what we want to do.

And by "we", I mean "me, Faust and possibly Friar Kite", because we're all that's left of MXD right now.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #41 on: 07 Jun 2011, 21:36 »

If you're not going to fire spaceship layz0rs at each other, why EVE and not pen/paper?

e.g. in the last Doll War, my opposition engaged while outmatched (1 cruiser + punisher vs my cruiser) and I engaged outnumbered (retribution vs 3 punishers. I lost, but killed 2 punishers + 1 pod).

it seems other people wouldn't fight those, and would have just spun in station instead. so why EVE and not paper?

I'm not exactly sure why the idea people try to perpetuate the idea that people that roleplay are less inclined to be interested in pvp in EVE.  Personally, I want some meaning to my gameplay, hence why I pursue roleplay to add a level of immersion that justifies character behavior in-game. 

The problem that I have with a majority of conflicts between RP entities in EVE are that they appear to be artificially inspired, or in other words a "war and pvp first, justify it later" approach.  I mean, hey, it's a game, you do what you like, but that doesn't get me engaged as a player to jump into a conflict when my character is scratching their head wondering wtf is going on. Furthermore, I think the perception of war is skewed by the real world in a sense that wars can be won by obliterating your enemy, conquering their land, and hearing the lamentations of their women. In New Eden, we have CONCORD mediating our wars with an artificially infinite number of people ready to fight at our disposal, and the pilots themselves can never die. So your alternatives are left with destroying their POS structures and forcing your enemy to remain docked until their corp disperses or you claim victory with a lot of chest beating and killboard stat-flexing. When a majority of the RP community base their roleplay on ideological and racial boundaries, this becomes absurd to me because I'm just seeing an endless murder fest with no goal or purpose.

Another area where the immersion busts for me is the matter of location. I can see a reason for Freedom fighters to want to stop the Amarrians from expanding in Providence, but many of the conflicts I see (and have been apart of) involve enemies on the other side of the map that have exactly ZERO impact on my character. At least in 0.0, there's SOME justification for war; resources are up for grabs and territory has some worth to be defended, but there's nothing in EMPIRE space you can't get in the Federation that you could in the State (other than agents). So while my character may be ideologically opposed to yours (say, Nola supporting the Sansha cause), declaring war on me when you're 40+ jumps from my current docked location gives me absolutely no justification for coming after you. I can replace ships and manpower. How is this hindering my cause? What do I stand to gain by exploding your punisher? *flex*

So again, as a roleplayer, meaning is important to me. It's why I got into RP to begin with.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #42 on: 08 Jun 2011, 10:57 »

Power RP is certainly what I do most off, part of being a CEO I guess. Though when it comes to diplomacy (how it affects IC, diplo is done OOC because the other party rarely is an RP group) or recruitment the ideological factor comes well into play. IC corp chat and the occasional Skyhook visit fall under social. So at the end of the day I get a mix of all three, maybe a little heavier on the power. I'd say it is how I would want it to be for the position I am in.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 08 Jun 2011, 11:33 »

I'd say Vicky has always had a bit of the soap going*, with a bit of added ideology after she joined U'K. She comes across as being far more thoughtful than she is while trying to justify her actions - "Because I felt like it" doesn't tend to get you taken seriously, which she craves regardless of whether she deserves it.

I'm been trying to work in a little more 'power' lately, getting out in space a little now that I have a comp with isn't quite as likely to overheat and die when I undock. Now I just need iskies, I think it's time to get out the whip and make the carebear alts work again.

*This may or may not be a blatant, massive understatement.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #44 on: 08 Jun 2011, 12:50 »

I've always thought that should be a relatively straightforward endeavor. The trick is the fact that it's a roleplay corp.

I've yet to come across a misson/industry corp that can defend itself.  Not so straightforward.

To stay good at PvP and up to date on the current metas, you kinda have to PvP regularly (say, several nights a week).  If a core of your organization is not doing that, you'll be outmatched by those who do.  And if you are doing that, you don't have much time left for grinding red crosses off your overview. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5