Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Khanid and Sansha ships were originally half lasers half missiles split ships?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What kind of Rp do you like doing the most/least ?  (Read 9180 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Soap: Characters personalities are in conflict. Social occasions, conversations, interactions and gossip are the major battlegrounds and weapons, escalating into assassinations in space, wars and exploding things.

Ideology: Characters ideas are in conflict. Forum debates, news articles, are the initial sources of disagreement, escalating into wars and shooting.

Power: Characters economic, military or other material goals are in conflict. Parking your tanks on someone else's lawn is the start of things. Wars and explosions soon follow.

I would say that mostly, it is the ideology that I like more, when there is enough PF to make it interesting. E.g. the difference of opinion with the Sani-sabik space nuns that led to the Doll Wars, and the interpreting of Scripture that I engage in with some of the more traditional Amarr characters. I also like a bit of soap from time to time, depending on the characters involved, e.g. when I took various people shopping for things for a social function.

What do you prefer doing?
\o/

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
Re: What kind of Rp do you like doing the most/least ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jun 2011, 08:47 »

I like a balance of the three.  I dislike overemphasis of one of the three types provided to choose from.

Vieve

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jun 2011, 09:09 »

I usually do ideology, filtered through soap. I avoid power like the plague -- ICly because power can attract the attention of more powerful entities (which has historically been a bad idea for most of my characters) and OOCly because I just don't have that kind of time to invest.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jun 2011, 10:05 »

I try for a good mix of the three, but generally end up being drawn into Soap rather often.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jun 2011, 10:12 »

Trying to focus primarily on power, with occasional forays into soap.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #5 on: 04 Jun 2011, 10:24 »

Mostly Ideology, with the ocational power trip and some soap, but not much.

I preffer to stay in the ideology department in regards to RP - I find the entire idea that bigger power = higher right to oppinion to be absurd, and don't like the pitfalls this brings at times. Nothing annoys me more thaa some pompus prick telling me my oppinion is irrelevant unless I take my 7-man corp or whatever and declare war on their mega-alliance to somehow shut them up and verify my argument's right to be made.

On the other hand, soapy soapy personal stuff bores me, if done in public. I don't care if your pregnant. I don't care about any details about your personal relationships. Why do I need to know? Why are you sharing this in public even? If anyone wanted to talk to me about anything personal they better be someone my toon likes or can tolerate or they feel they can trust, and it better be in relative privacy. The whole world don't need to know about this stuff.

Lastly, in ideology, maintaining one's oppinion and statements about X Y Z - it's all perfectly fine. But once you have informed us 2-3 times one would think we got the picture. There is no need to repeat one's publicly posted vitrol towards faction X that you hate; it atually get's bothersome and boring in the longer run. Also, people totally unable to realize that it is possible to offer some degree of minimal respect despite not liking a person's goal or actions or faction of choice or whatever, annoys me. One can afford to be somewhat civilized and still hold to an idea or don't like another idea, you know :bash:

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun 2011, 10:38 »

I find the entire idea that bigger power = higher right to oppinion to be absurd, and don't like the pitfalls this brings at times. Nothing annoys me more thaa some pompus prick telling me my oppinion is irrelevant unless I take my 7-man corp or whatever and declare war on their mega-alliance to somehow shut them up and verify my argument's right to be made.

From my perspective, this isn't necessarily what "power" RP means. For example, the acquisition of resources (including ISK, data, and influence) qualifies, or at least that is closer to what I meant. I guess political and diplomatic RP between leaders of large organizations could be a part of that, but it can include more than that, too.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2011, 10:46 »

In Kyber's case, it's not unlike what Vieve said -- ideology with a soapy face. The exact ratio varies depending on context and subject matter, of course; Kyber being the toastery sort he is, ideology tends to take the leading role, whether he likes it or not.

In situations where he's with people he gets along with (or just not around people who are 'grr, Nation', depending), the ideology stuff usually takes a back seat compared to the soapier noise. Power's never really generated enough out-and-out conflict for Kyber, yet, much to my surprise; we'll see what happens as time passes, I suppose, but my limited exposure to that side of thins makes it hard for me to judge with any degree of accuracy.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun 2011, 10:50 »

Power Soap.

Vieve

« Reply #9 on: 04 Jun 2011, 12:12 »

On the other hand, soapy soapy personal stuff bores me, if done in public. I don't care if your pregnant. I don't care about any details about your personal relationships. Why do I need to know? Why are you sharing this in public even? If anyone wanted to talk to me about anything personal they better be someone my toon likes or can tolerate or they feel they can trust, and it better be in relative privacy. The whole world don't need to know about this stuff.

Oh, agreed. I can't think of a single character of mine (except maybe Suosio, but since she's not a capsuleer, she doesn't count, right?) who likes their personal business discussed in public, unless they're doing so.   One can assume if they're doing so, there's a reason, and they're very much managing the content.  :twisted:

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jun 2011, 12:44 »

Hm, soap can be a bit dollhousey, but I suppose I'm into the intense character-driven RP that is influenced by ideology (the public facade being this)

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #11 on: 04 Jun 2011, 13:00 »

Hm, soap can be a bit dollhousey, but I suppose I'm into the intense character-driven RP that is influenced by ideology (the public facade being this)

'Dollhousey'? Could you explain the term? Only reason I ask is that characters're (typically) more than just faction or ideology, and plenty of very enjoyable RP that I've had hasn't even factored in the ideology of any involved characters -- or, indeed, anything beyond their various personalities.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jun 2011, 13:16 »

Dollhouse is when the RP is less about the universe and invented characters, but just players playing with dolls (avatars) just purely to have happy-clappy fun and "everyone getting along with everyone" stuff. Not necessarily bad one bit, just not my thing. Miz coined the term as "come and play in our channels" sorta deal.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #13 on: 04 Jun 2011, 13:29 »

I would have argued that a lot of 'soap' RP has the exact opposite issue of people drumming up teh dramaz for the sake of teh dramaz, honestly, but I've never ran into any major instance of what you described. Characters in conflict for whatever reason can be just as enjoyable as characters who get along like a house on fire, surely?

In any case, cheers for the clarification; the rest is probably a matter for another thread.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jun 2011, 15:36 »

I think it interesting all three of your options end up in explosions  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5