Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ghost Festival is an Angel Cartel loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: The most obvious thing I wish I'd learned earlier ...  (Read 36162 times)

Altaen

• Clonejack
    • Molden Heath Community
Re: The most obvious thing I wish I'd learned earlier ...
« Reply #60 on: 19 Oct 2010, 11:03 »

"... wait, you can move that little module circle thingy? AND arrange overview by range and name? God damnit."

Heh, yeah there is actually a fair amount you can do with the UI. Doesn't compare at all to a certain other game in customization, but yeah...HUD module circle thingy can go left and right and can also be put at the top of the screen. You can also move the targets around and flip them vertical to horizontal.

My current UI config does both actually: http://i42.tinypic.com/213f0py.jpg

Ooooh, I like the vertical target alignment, how'd you do that?

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
  • May have skimmed the Book of Emptiness
« Reply #61 on: 19 Oct 2010, 18:49 »

Today I discovered that EVEmon has a feature that shifts an EVE client running windowed mode "up", making it resemble fullscreen mode but still operate as windowed mode.

My life has just become so much less painful.

Explain how you did this.

Naow.

The menu bar in EVEMon (the bit at the top of the main window) has an option labelled relocator, once you click that the rest is self-explanatory.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #62 on: 21 Oct 2010, 01:45 »

Another good tip is hotloading modules when you are in pvp.  While you are warping in on a target you can click on your guns/web/scram whatever and click on an offgrid object in your overview.  Doing so will cause those mods to flash as if on standby.  WHen you land on grid and lock your target, the mods will activate and fun times are had.  Its a lifesaver if you are the initial tackle (don't know how many times I had locked up a target only to have them warp off since I couldn't activate the scram/point on time).

Far as I'm aware, hot-loading don't work anymore. It simply says 'you can't target that' or something in that regard and then cancels the move. You used to be able to do this locking yourself as well, but nope, not anymore.

You're mixing two different things up.  It used to be possible to "hotlock" to break gate invuln, ie, jump through a gate and F1+click target on the overview to decloak.  They broke that a year or so before breaking the scanner, making scouting and tackling that much more annoying.  You now have to double-click in space, wait 45 seconds for the server to recognize that you wanted to move, and THEN start locking to tackle.  Which invariably leads to people in fat-ass ships warping off before interceptors can tackle them when they jump after them.  No, I'm not bitter at all.

What Meli is talking about is activating modules before having anything locked while you're not cloaked.  You can "hotlock" so long as you're not cloaked.  The problem I run into is with hotlocking with a point activated seems to lose tackles sometimes--you'll lock, but your module won't activate right away and the target will get into warp.  I prefer to lock the target, and mash F1 as soon as I see the lock complete. 

Fun tip that I didn't know until a few days ago:  when someone's jumping into you and you're waiting for them to decloak, have your cursor ready just below the last thing on your overview--the second they decloak, they'll appear there before the overview sorts them to their rightful placed based on your settings (distance, name, etc), allowing you to lock them before your client is even done processing the fact that they're there.  Allows you to lock a good second faster, and quite handy for catching things that typically are hard to catch.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #63 on: 21 Oct 2010, 11:58 »

Fun tip that I didn't know until a few days ago:  when someone's jumping into you and you're waiting for them to decloak, have your cursor ready just below the last thing on your overview--the second they decloak, they'll appear there before the overview sorts them to their rightful placed based on your settings (distance, name, etc), allowing you to lock them before your client is even done processing the fact that they're there.  Allows you to lock a good second faster, and quite handy for catching things that typically are hard to catch.

and if you hold down CTRL it won't sort the overview list, so it will stay at the bottom of your overview list until you release CTRL.

(At least it did that last time I checked)
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #64 on: 21 Oct 2010, 12:12 »

and if you hold down CTRL it won't sort the overview list, so it will stay at the bottom of your overview list until you release CTRL.

Indeed, forgot that bit.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #65 on: 21 Oct 2010, 13:55 »

That's a recent (year wise) feature that's pretty cool.

Also, something I learned rather rudely as a rookie player.

Highslots =/= mining turret viability.

I bought a kestrel so I could put 4 mining lasers on it because it had 4 highslots.

I was surprised when it said it only took missile launchers.

They require turret hard points.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #66 on: 21 Oct 2010, 14:23 »

If only CCP would release those damn mining missiles...
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #67 on: 21 Oct 2010, 15:24 »

*Stuff*

TL;DR - Stuff doesn't work anymore.
*Bitterness paragraph*

What Meli is talking about is activating modules before having anything locked while you're not cloaked.  You can "hotlock" so long as you're not cloaked.  The problem I run into is with hotlocking with a point activated seems to lose tackles sometimes--you'll lock, but your module won't activate right away and the target will get into warp.  I prefer to lock the target, and mash F1 as soon as I see the lock complete. 

*Second useful tip*

I believe they've broken the "sitting on gate, waiting" variant of this now as well. You get the "Target is invulnerable" message until your computer registers that the target has moved, even if they've already started moving. Usually it's only a second or two delay, but that can really count sometimes.

This, however, is quite useful.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #68 on: 29 Oct 2010, 20:39 »

oh christ. could be any number of things really :P

took me ages to figure out the importance of aligning my ship before warping. I was already in a battleship by that time and wondering why it took me so long compared to everyone else  :| when I announced this discovery, a friend commented that giving me a tempest was like giving a five year old a bazooka  :(

I guess for me it was learning how "exactly" the market behaves, was surprised i could buy stuff remotely, but not sell remotely, and that even if i tried to purchase from a specific seller in the available list it was the cheapest seller who got the money.

I remember when I bought my first rifter, then rubbing my hands and looking in my hanger. err. where is it? shouldn't it be here? oh. it's all the way over there, where I bought it from. *oh.*

...actually they added warp to 0 about a month after I started, but still :P

I still remember having masses of copied bookmarks for various routes before they added warp to 0. and there would always be *one* missing in the set :bash:

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #69 on: 09 Nov 2010, 16:09 »

I wish I had known the almost forgotten alpha-era console cheatcode that teleports you to the safety of a stationdockingbay when your mission ship is under attack by pirates

Just press ^ to open the ingame console and then type in "QUAFE" while holding ctrl  :)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #70 on: 09 Nov 2010, 21:04 »

I wish I had known the almost forgotten alpha-era console cheatcode that teleports you to the safety of a stationdockingbay when your mission ship is under attack by pirates

Just press ^ to open the ingame console and then type in "QUAFE" while holding ctrl  :)

Edit: I wish I had known drones who have your covert ops locked will stop you from cloaking, even when the controller dies. Warping out and in FTL.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #71 on: 12 Nov 2010, 11:31 »

Oh come on now, you KNEW the quafe thing already  :lol:

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #72 on: 10 Dec 2010, 14:25 »

You can, in fact, queue multiple jobs in one POS lab slot. You do not have to come back every hour to do another set of invention jobs.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #73 on: 14 Dec 2010, 21:06 »

Although this is the opposite of obvious...

[03:01:32] Eric Kirby > Wait
[03:01:34] Matariki Rain > That.
[03:01:46] Eric Kirby > Electronic Warfare Drone Interfacing gives a range bonus to all drones?
[03:01:51] Matariki Rain > Yes.
[03:01:51] Koronakesh > yes
[03:01:51] Inara Subaka > yup
[03:01:55] Kybernetes Moros > I used to survive with 45k range, and then I saw, and I rejoiced
[03:01:56] Eric Kirby > ._.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #74 on: 26 Dec 2010, 19:18 »

I wish that someone had told me I could get more FW standings from running missions than doing plexes.

My Alt made it all the way to Talon commander doing just plexes. Took ages, and the rewards were diminishing.

Then in a few sessions of missioning he went to Valklear General. Suddenly, it doesn't seem like that vaunted a rank any more...
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8