Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis Corporation was initially a Gallentean research firm that evolved into a drug cartel? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What other RP corps and areas interest you?  (Read 11776 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: What other RP corps and areas interest you?
« Reply #30 on: 03 Apr 2011, 16:34 »

So it appears that the majority here would swell the Veto/Angel cartel ranks if they left whatever corp they were in now. Typical, but not to surprizing.

I wonder why it is like this; why leaving 'national' RP have to end in a grand betrayal, drama, and joining Veto or another pirate faction. It's gettign predictable and a powerfull memetic trope all of it's own, at this rate. This however, is a question for another topic, another day.

As for me, if my two 'main' toons left NOVAF, it would likely be for a pro-Fed outfit like EL-G or a pro-Rep outfit like EM, if they would allow it. Jesmine is not likely to deviate from her present course as her existance is based on a RP path that I desire. Eventually, I may end up making my own pro-Fed corp. There are not exactly an over-abundance of those.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 03 Apr 2011, 16:44 »

I dunno, I went the other way: left my Angel stuffz behind (even thought I <3 Myrhial and Morlag and the rest).

Essentially, trade and related RP attracted me even more than NPC-sov nullsec, as much fun as I had with that area. And I wanted to let Casiella-c disappear, at least for a while. She's a hell of a lot of fun, but for various OOC reasons it seemed simpler to start over.

Now if I can just finish up this really long recruitment process... ;)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 03 Apr 2011, 18:44 »

At the moment, Ulf is pretty much where he wants to be. I don't think he'd switch alliegances to another polity. If for some reason he stopped wanting to be in EM, he'd probably retire or look at some other Republic loyal corp; Something still working for the republic. Nothing else would make sense.

That said, I'm still fascinated by other bits of the game that Ulf will probably never get to explore. The Caldari society sounds interesting, as does the Gallente, though the Amarr one doesn't really do it for me. The Caldari seem to have all sorts of culture stuff sorted out in interesting ways, and the Gallente are mostly attractive for the unrealised potential that I can see.

I was even really interested in Star Fraction for a while a few years ago, though they told me my time zone would be very lonely so I never followed it up. Recently they seem to be suffering a bit of a down period, so it might be too late now.

What the above would mean is that if I get bored/disillusioned/fed-up with EM but still want to play Eve, I probably would be looking at another character. Given the competitive nature of a lot of Eve, there's a natural reluctance to accept alts of other factions amongst RP corps. I'd like to think I've never used OOC intel IC without having encountered it IC as well, but I realise that it's a legitimate worry.

I also think the other worry is that when you're recruiting people, you ideally want people who will be putting work into your corp, not being flighty dilletants who are already spending most of their play time on another corp with another character.

So how big a deal is recruiting Alts for RP corps out there? Is it something you reluctantly accept? Something you avoid at all costs? something you actually think is a good idea?

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 04 Apr 2011, 00:39 »

EM's contraindicated for Vieve for several RP reasons -- even if Jake went off his nut and decided to join up (assuming one of their corps would admit him), she wouldn't join him in that corp.  

Gods and spirits that would be... interesting. The ex-husband. The (feral clone's?) (virtual?) lover's rebound (now-ex) lover, and their daughter.

But mostly a note that EM's an alliance of -- rather different -- corps. :)

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #34 on: 04 Apr 2011, 02:07 »

This would depend on whether I wanted to continue to RP with Graanvlokkie or start a new charater.

With Graanvlokkie I could easily see him turning his back on the Nation and returning to the Caldari State, albeit with a different attitude (Heth FTW!). Otherwise, the Khanid Kingdom has always been an interesting RP angle and with a lot of work and RP he may be able to make something there.

With a new toon I would look at the Federation, as there is some untapped RP there (but would most proberbly not do this).

Minmatar would also be interesting, and in my opinion there isnt enough Minmatar out there willing to get their hands dirty. A real public Minmatar terrorist movement would be great to be part of!

EDIT: Before I do any of this I would have to actually get off my arse and DO some RP'ing, or at the very least some story writing. I am not too sure of why my motivation is lacking :/

I am hopeing its not because of my current RP direction, otherwise may be time to do one of the above :)
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2011, 02:51 by Graanvlokkie »

Major JSilva

« Reply #35 on: 04 Apr 2011, 03:01 »

Actually if I could most likely Gradient :) I chilled in there public channel alot, TS-F and the Sansha RP always interested me during the live events, i was trying to figure out what the other side was always thinking and how would they react.

In terms of "Pirate" Gurista's/Angel have always been of interest. Rping a Merc has it benefits as generally you have to remain neutral, Silva is a State Loyalist in many respects but in terms of which "sect" still remains unclear more of centralist view in many regards

In terms of non-RP corps. Rooks and Kings has always been of interest, joining PL would be.... interesting to say the least.

Silva

Vieve

« Reply #36 on: 04 Apr 2011, 03:19 »

EM's contraindicated for Vieve for several RP reasons -- even if Jake went off his nut and decided to join up (assuming one of their corps would admit him), she wouldn't join him in that corp.  

Gods and spirits that would be... interesting. The ex-husband. The (feral clone's?) (virtual?) lover's rebound (now-ex) lover, and their daughter.

And that's just the stuff she knows about!

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #37 on: 04 Apr 2011, 05:15 »

Hmmm, apart from FW corps I suppose it'd be Star Fraction or Electus Matari for Borza.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #38 on: 04 Apr 2011, 07:48 »

If I reactivated Ember and left Ghost Festival I would probably go back to COLD-Wing or another militia corp since its about all that I can see for her that would be IC. If I threw out her character and just put her somewhere I really have no idea where to go. Probably Veto if I could get in. I cant remember where or from who, but Ive heard of them refered to as an "RP retirement home" so I guess that would work. :lol:

More than likely I would probably just start over with a new character. Ive been kicking around some ideas in my head for a new character, and I can't seem to get away from Caldari RP. :bash: I have some ideas for the other races, but for some reason they never really hold my interest for very long. Currently I think I'm gonna go with an Achuran(probably with a little Civire mixed in), but its all still very much in the planning stages.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #39 on: 04 Apr 2011, 08:04 »

I can't see myself ever quitting teh Sanshas.

But if I haaaaaaaaaaad to quit the Naqams I'd probably look for some small corp full of very silly people doing silly RP's.  If they don't exist I'd make one up. ._.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #40 on: 04 Apr 2011, 08:09 »

I'm pretty sure that Rodj would never leave the Amarr bloc.   Which means that if PIE vanished tomorrow he'd probably try to join Imperial Dreams, 1PG or something similar.

If I was allowed to start a new character, Veto or EM would probably be the places I applied to join.

Orthic

• Wetgraver
« Reply #41 on: 04 Apr 2011, 10:09 »

Orth is too recent an RP toon (only really existed for the last few months) and has been with Anshar the entire time, and the character (like most of mine) has little loyalty to any faction, although he’s reasonably loyal to the individuals around him. So there isn’t really anything for him to betray.

Same goes for most of my other, RP toons, honestly, there just isn’t much for them to betray and I’m pretty happy with them where they are, though I could definitely see the psychopath abandoning her ways as a terrorist and becoming an Amarr loyalist.

The blood raiders (as opposed to the space vampires) have always been interesting to me, so that’s another angle I might take someday.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #42 on: 04 Apr 2011, 10:20 »

If CAIN fell apart I might go back to LDIS, or join up with I-RED - but Electus Matari has always seemed neat to me and is semi-justifiable in-character as a learning experience.    I might try some Angel stuff with Alt one day too.

More than likely I’d drop off the RP radar and start making connections and networking with non-Rper corps doing neat things (Worm holes).  I might even build a non-rp alliance which would be soooo much easier than trying to find competent and trust worthy people who also role-play Caldari loyalists who are Patriots but not provists (I've met three). 

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
« Reply #43 on: 04 Apr 2011, 11:09 »

If Akikio gets enough of living and fighting among strangers she'd definitly go back Stateside, maybe just focus on business for a while.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #44 on: 04 Apr 2011, 12:56 »

So how big a deal is recruiting Alts for RP corps out there? Is it something you reluctantly accept? Something you avoid at all costs? something you actually think is a good idea?

I'd say it varies from corp to corp. Some corporations will turn away known or presumed alt characters out of hand, some welcome them in with open arms. I'd guess that the majority either take the former option, or something in the middle where they're okay with it as long as conflicts of interest can be proven to not be an issue and you pull your weight a little bit. :P

As for where Morwen would go, I dunno, really. I wouldn't say she's perfectly happy where she is, but then, the grass is always greener on the other side. As far as her options that "make sense" within RP:
- EM. Morwen's pretty abolitionist/anti-slavery, and would probably fit in okay, but it'd cause issues at home, so fairly unlikely. She can do her thing under the radar no matter where she ends up, anyway.
- Back to Naraka. Some friends and 'family' still here, but Morwen doesn't care much for nullsec so she'd probably end up in PRELI rather than Ghost Festival again.
- EVE University, to teach. Something I could see her doing and enjoying, though I'm not sure I'd be able to put in the proper time and effort to make it worth it.
- Something involving exploration and/or other PVE, with occasional PVP. Not sure whether it'd be in an already-established corporation, or starting a new one. If the latter, probably would be done with the SO and/or other close friends.
- Incursion stuff, probably the most "obvious" choice for Morwen next to generic exploration/PVE. As much as I completely hate how the live events ended up being abused as an extended trailer for a game mechanic and storyline that's going to be ignored and left aside like FW was (and is), I did enjoy doing some of the sites with folks in Veto when we had the incursions in our home constellation, and would like to do more of them.
- FW. As much as Morwen hates the militias, there's one person who could convince her to take part in them. It's just slightly up in the air as to which corp (and militia) she would end up in.

Ignoring RP, the list is, frankly, mostly the same, though I've got a couple friends doing w-space stuff that I could probably get back into if I really wanted.

So it appears that the majority here would swell the Veto/Angel cartel ranks if they left whatever corp they were in now. Typical, but not to surprizing.

I wonder why it is like this; why leaving 'national' RP have to end in a grand betrayal, drama, and joining Veto or another pirate faction. It's gettign predictable and a powerfull memetic trope all of it's own, at this rate.

U mad, brah? There are some seriously dangerous levels of bitter coming from you whenever this topic comes up. What gives?

The attitude and perception (coming from several people, not just you) that people go pirate (or join Veto, as is the usual expression of the issue) because their RP is dead or whatever is really starting to get old and tiresome.

There are a lot of people in Veto. The majority of them do not RP outside of, arguably, shooting people in the face. There are a few who used to RP, yes, but those are not quite as numerous as people seem to think. In fact, I went through the roster the other day, and of the people on there, I only counted about 27 unique players (yes, I ignored alts) who I've ever seen RPing, or have heard of doing so in the past. Even assuming each of those players has an alt in the corp, that's still only 50 characters in a 170-strong corp.

Why are people making this ridiculous assumption that the vast majority RPers who are tired of "national" RP end up in Veto or some other pirate group as an "RP retirement home" as Ember put it? Why do some people seem to think it's impossible or inexcusable for someone to value the gameplay from their $15/month over the RP? Why do people assume that the thought process is "omg my RP is dead wah wah oh I know how to fix it, I'll go pirate and join Veto or some other outlaw faction/corp" instead of the more logical "okay, I'm bored with EVE, what can I change to make it worth my subscription fee"?

Isn't it possible that the players made the decision, not caring about the RP aspect of things? RP isn't all there is to the game, people. If you're getting fuck-all out of your $15/month for a given style of gameplay, it's your right to try something new ingame to see if you can get your money's worth, regardless of RP. While I'm someone who prefers to have an IC reason to do something ingame (like, for example, change corporations) rather than not, if the gameplay I'm getting where I am is making the game a waste of my time and money, I'm not necessarily going to just wait around for an RP reason to present itself.

Enjoyment of the game comes first, and RP after that. If joining a new corp, or trying something new, like piracy, makes the game more enjoyable for you, or makes it more worth the money spent on the subscription fee, that's your business, and not a single person but yourself has any right to complain about that decision.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5