Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Elsebeth, of clan Rhiannon, was born on Matar in the heartlands of Mikramurka continent in the year 81? Read her official biography here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hidden Symbology  (Read 7974 times)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: Hidden Symbology
« Reply #30 on: 12 Mar 2011, 12:22 »

This is getting silly.

This was always silly.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 12 Mar 2011, 12:28 »

So's playing Internet spaceships.

So's roleplaying Internet spaceships.

Nothing wrong with that. ^_^

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #32 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:06 »

Edit: Also, what's the biggest revelation?  Everyone in New Eden are descended from Terran colonists.  What happened after they colonized though, that's the big mystery.

They were all cloned. the whole thing, all of new eden, its all one big Jovian experiment.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 14 Mar 2011, 03:17 »

Duh, considering that little to no changes have ever been made to the various symbols used for logos for corporations and factions since the game started, and the small workforce at CCP at the time, it is very likely if most if not all symbols were made by one guy and he was not all that creative in his designs considering the millions of other issues that had to get fixed for the game to launch.

I am quite certain that the way the story is unfolding and being shaped by t0nyG and Abraxes is very different to the vague plans thought out in the early design stages of EVE (the computer game). Heck, were Jovians not supposed to be a playable race at one point?

No. I do not think there is any intentional similarity between the logo for the Angel Cartel and the Jovian Directorate.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 14 Mar 2011, 05:04 »

That might be possible as the cartel salvaged some old jovian ruins and derelict stuff. They might have got inspired by their main logo. Otherwise, I do not see any good reason that could explain that.

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
  • May have skimmed the Book of Emptiness
« Reply #35 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:01 »

I see the diverse spread of this symbol as subtle evidence of Jovian meddling in each of these societies.

Brings up another question: what is the enemy of the bull? Did Marduk have some kind of antagonist-god?

Enheduanna was a priestess of Inanna, whose sign was an eight-pointed star.

edit: Aaaaaaaaaand how many points would this have, if the circle were complete?

Enki represents the first Jovian empire, his symbol the goat is seen in the Angel Cartel Logo. He held the Mes, obtained from Enlil who seems to represent the Yan Jung who fell during the time of the first empire.

Marduk succeeded Enki, inheriting his sphere and the Mes. His symbol can be seen in that of the Jovian Directorate.

Inanna stole the Mes from Enki, this can be seen in w-space where the Sleepers are harvesting the technologies of the Talocan. This is reinforced by the star motif, the tradition of which is continued by the SCT.

The Sleepers are a faction of the early second Jovian empire focused on obtaining the 'untainted' Jovian DNA from the first empire. Their link to Inanna clearly connects them to Enheduanna. There is some confusion here as the Enheduanni show attributes more akin to the goddess than her representative.

Quote from: Inanna
She stirs confusion and chaos against those who are disobedient to her, speeding carnage and inciting the devastating flood, clothed in terrifying radiance. It is her game to speed conflict and battle, untiring, strapping on her sandals.

Interestingly the Mes themselves were to be given to the cities as can be seen in Avetat and Ametat and possibly by the Achura later obtaining the "rod of creation" and it is likely other factions saw interferrence also. Connections blur again here with the first Jovian empire being the only known faction active at the time of the Sefrims arrival yet the empire also obtaining the symbol of Inanna as seen in the Khumaak. This supports the idea of the Enheduanni splitting from the Jove.

After the split the Minmatar became favourites of the Enheduanni, this can be clearly seen in Theodicy, particularly in the naming of the world "Eanna" after Inannas primary temple. This transfer of favor is further reinforced with the passing of the eight pointed star as a symbol of the Amarr to a symbol of the Matari. This didn't work out so well and the Jove aided the Minmatar in finding their own path once more.

The symbols of faith represent a prophesy for the Amarr, much like the prophesy that foretold the rise of a queen who would re-launch the reclaiming this was likely planted quite some time ago.

On a side-note Marduk was followed by Nabu who may tie in with Macapers "what was many now becomes one when one becomes four" and hint at the future rise of a fourth Jovian Empire.

I could go on but I'm in danger of veering off topic with every sentence.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:29 »

Honestly I don't understand the smallest bit of what people is always talking about when it comes to sleeper and apocrypha lore. Where can I find sources about that ? (not the basics on sleepers, talocans and all, i already know that)

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
« Reply #37 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:35 »

Jowen's guide to w-space is a great starting point but the "evidence" is scattered around many places from the chronicles to item descriptions.

[EDIT: I need to learn to read sorry, could you be more specific on what your looking for?]
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2011, 08:42 by Kaito Haakkainen »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:44 »

I don't know, I read Enki, Enlil, Marduk, and stuff, an as I can barely connect some of these terms to various stuff in EvE, I do not know what we are really refering to. And especially what happened. It sounds like a genesis but I don't know what happened in it.

Kaito Haakkainen

• Wetgraver
« Reply #39 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:52 »

The primary links to mythology are in faction names and symbols. The Enheduanni mentioned in Theodicy link to Eheduanna which then prompts an examination of mesopotaimian religion. Enki's "portfolio" and symbols, which includes the 'double-helix snake' hint towards Jovian connections for example. Another connection is Tlalocan from Talocan linking to Aztec religion and Tlalocans assoiation with watery death with "wetgrave" and similarities to Enki's spheres of influence with a decided darker flavor.

Its all rather obnoxious though as religions are often interpreted in many ways by their practisoners, let alone when they are translated by later cultures (the summerians and bablylonias being a prime example here) and then coloured by historians and their focus on the many differing sources.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #40 on: 21 Mar 2011, 04:40 »

Just on the "EVE Story being badly run because CCP is terrible" idea.

No half-way competent story writer even should attempt writing a story without a Clear start and finish - they flesh of it develops as the story progresses, albeit with careful nudges.

CCP gets a little firm with those nudges every now and then.

Story has a finite end point, that being said - because its an MMORPG - thats quite likely just the point for another EVE story to kick off.

Just my 0.5c worth, I am too busy learning how to be an Engineer to peruse all this wild theory making, as awesome fun as it is :P

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #41 on: 21 Mar 2011, 04:42 »

Amann Karris

Pages: 1 2 [3]