Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The language of the Amarr empire is spoken by more people than any other language? Read more in this Chronicle.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Kuhmbelaa  (Read 8538 times)

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
Re: Kuhmbelaa
« Reply #45 on: 08 Jan 2011, 12:02 »

Artabanus:

1) I absolutely agree that it is ok to say that your thing is THE thing. I am not arguing "you are doing it wrong" here. If you want to say it, you can say it. What I am trying to say is that if you want the RP that results better from saying it is "a thing" (ie, people interacting with your event/idea and expanding on it, rather than picking apart the implication that everyone knows about what you just invented) it might be sensible to say so instead. For example, in this case, "as many of you may know" would have, I think, achieved what the player wanted better than "as most of you know".

2) Like I said above, I am off on a tangent and this general discussion about how to present customs for your race without sounding like you are trying to push stuff on others, and this should probably be split off from the Kuhmbelaa discussion in particular. I agree that when people are reading what I say as a comment on that one phrasing and this particular event, more is made of it than I intend.

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
  • "I cannot live without books"
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #46 on: 08 Jan 2011, 12:28 »

Artabanus:

1) I absolutely agree that it is ok to say that your thing is THE thing. I am not arguing "you are doing it wrong" here. If you want to say it, you can say it. What I am trying to say is that if you want the RP that results better from saying it is "a thing" (ie, people interacting with your event/idea and expanding on it, rather than picking apart the implication that everyone knows about what you just invented) it might be sensible to say so instead. For example, in this case, "as many of you may know" would have, I think, achieved what the player wanted better than "as most of you know".

Just to clarify...I am not an Intaki RPer...I'm actually Caldari...my comments are really just my general opinion and are not meant to represent any Intaki pilots.

But, I appreciate and respect your point of view.

Art
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2011, 13:19 by Artabanus »

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #47 on: 08 Jan 2011, 13:57 »

I'm not Intaki either, though some of my best friends are. ;) And yes, just speaking generally here, not meaning to comment on the Intaki RP in any more depth than all the players of Amarrians with claims that THIS is what Scripture says and EVERYONE knows it, and Matari players coming up with "THE Sebiestor new year customs". ;)

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #48 on: 08 Jan 2011, 16:21 »

I guess in an effort to be a bit less prickly than before, I'll just say, this same conversation taking place IC would actually give us some RP as opposed to us OOCly saying how our characters theoretically feel :9.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #49 on: 14 Feb 2011, 05:10 »

Wow. I just read a bunch of this that I had apparently missed.

It's probably not worth necro-ing at this point.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #50 on: 14 Feb 2011, 12:58 »

Aw, but now I want to know what you have to say  :(
Formerly Simon Coal.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #51 on: 14 Feb 2011, 14:58 »

Aw, but now I want to know what you have to say  :(

I agree with Simon, I would like to hear what you have to say. Although Kuhmbelaa has come and  gone, the issues being raised and discussed in this thread are still very pertinent to Intaki roleplay and Eve roleplay in general.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #52 on: 14 Feb 2011, 19:32 »

Fair enough. I think the disagreement comes down to a fundamental difference about the nature of RP or content creation. There have been a number of things said, but I'll respond to a few that I found problematic.

My 2 cents: while I do not consider the "most of you" such a wildly inappropriate thing to do, I do think that "as many of you may know" would have been OOCly more polite to other players.

This, I disagree with entirely. While I agree that 'most' to 'many' is a subtle shift of meaning, that was intentional. I chose to say 'most' rather than many. However, I do not accept that my choice was OOC impolite. 'Most' is a more inclusive word, which allows for those who want to play along to pretend that their characters knew about it the whole time, and of course they would be celebrating this year.

The other assumption in statements that I've read in this thread is to whom the 'you' in my statement is referring. Some have responded as if it refers to all capsuleers, others as if I was speaking only to other Intaki. Either way, I don't think it's appropriate to be ascribing motives to my post that are not present in the RP or in OOC behaviour.

First requires that I need to make a decision: 1) accept the suggestion that my character also thinks "most of us" know this, 2) question the posting character's idea of of what "most" know and think him/her a pompous ass for presuming that his/her customs are The Customs, or 3) declare my character belonging to a minority that does not know stuff that "everyone else" knows.

While any of those decisions are pretty easy and valid (and so this is not a big problem), phrasing it as "as many of you may know" does not require me to more than to decide if my character does or does not know. Whether "most" capsuleers know will be the sum of these decisions made. And so it feels more inviting: I can interact with the festival itself without having to take a stance on how common it is in the world in general.

See, I think the decision is: play along, or don't. It's really that simple to me. The decisions you post can be narrowed down without calling people/characters/corporations 'pompous ass'-es. If you feel that you can easily accept decision 1) that you posed, then do, as the situation allows. If not, then don't. The other two options seem to me to be complicating what is really a simple interaction choice.

And on the last, I don't agree with you on what feels more inviting, as I said. What I will say, lastly, is that I think some elements of the discussion are finicky in the extreme. The Kumbhelaa thread achieved exactly what I intended it to achieve, and I don't think it was rude to other role-players, especially those invested in the Intaki story line. There seems to be an implication that my creating content (originally created by Art, remember) is part of some overall political machination, part of the ILF minority, pushing its view of Intaki culture on the rest. This is absurd.

We are creating stories. This is the perfect example of collaborative roleplay, with Art, Saxon, myself, Simon, Andreus, Bataav and others involved. Everyone together gets an opportunity to tell some of their stories and work together to make some great content. It pisses me off that all some people can do is nitpick it.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #53 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:22 »

Elsebeth, I think I love you. :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]