Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a demonstration by the pro-cloning group Imperial Immortality Foundation was attacked by the Imperial Army using nanotoxin in YC106, resulting in numerous fatalities.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Kuhmbelaa  (Read 8539 times)

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
Re: Kuhmbelaa
« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2010, 11:52 »

Not addressing the original point, but in regards to the actual holiday...a bit of food for thought and suggestion

Why would it be set around the RL holiday season? The Intaki calendar probably didn't use the modern day one until it was agreed internationally, so there likely wouldn't be any correlation to the RL Christmas season. I think only the Amarrians would have something in relation to Christmas IMO.

It is on every 5th 600 some-odd day years.

It has nothing to do with RL Christmas.

Syylara is right, the coincidence with Christmas this time was really just a coincidence. Kuhmbelaa won't happen again until sometime like 2018. That means for most of us, this is probably a one-time shot. I don't know that I'll still be playing Eve that far into the future.

As for stepping on some people's toes by creating content: I'M NOT SORRY AND I WON'T TAKE IT BACK.

When I started generating this content I said I was putting it out there for people to use if they wanted to play with me and to ignore if they did not. A lot more people than I expected got behind it and that makes me happy. Levi has been writing "news" articles to help breathe a bit more life into the sketches I created and Bruno has picked up the torch and is shining light onto a number of Gallente settlements.

CCP staff is aware of much of what we've created in terms of the Intaki backstory. I have personal RL e-mails between me and them to prove it. They haven't committed to anything, but said they would keep the material in mind when they get to fleshing out the bloodlines. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but they certainly didn't tell me I was doing it wrong.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:37 »

Not addressing the original point, but in regards to the actual holiday...a bit of food for thought and suggestion

Why would it be set around the RL holiday season? The Intaki calendar probably didn't use the modern day one until it was agreed internationally, so there likely wouldn't be any correlation to the RL Christmas season. I think only the Amarrians would have something in relation to Christmas IMO.

It is on every 5th 600 some-odd day years.

It has nothing to do with RL Christmas.

Oh really? That's pretty awesome then. I'll do my background reading before commenting next time :P

And yeah, once again, I'm with everyone else on this matter.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2010, 14:33 »

Its a planetary holiday.

Kudos to the creator of some non-offensive, interesting content generation.

If you don't want to acknowledge it, hell, your character could ICly refuse to acknowledge the holiday for personal reasons, if you need to rationalize it fully.

Simple as that.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #18 on: 23 Dec 2010, 14:51 »

"As most of you know, Kumhbelaa has begun, and will continue for eleven days."
"Huh.  I actually had no idea."
/problem

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 23 Dec 2010, 15:34 »

Good Job Saxon and IPI, EvE needs more content like this.. not just I pewpew them because they are different.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 23 Dec 2010, 15:36 »

If you don't want to acknowledge it, hell, your character could ICly refuse to acknowledge the holiday for personal reasons, if you need to rationalize it fully.

Or maybe they don't celebrate it where your character (Intaki or not) is from - maybe they have different traditions or different calendar altogether?

Consider that not everybody on contemporary Earth celebrates Christmas or Ramandan or Autumn Equinox or Labor Day. And even those who do observe a holiday may do so on different ways. Can you find a holiday everybody on Earth observes at the same time, in a same way?

In my opinion there is plenty of room for everybody to play together as long as players remember that making up stuff for other player's characters without the player's consent is impolite and that in a big cluster/system/planet universal traditions are few and far between.

I am not familiar with Saxon's/IPI's stuff, but I read this on IGS as an offer to interact, for Intaki characters to talk about their traditions.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #21 on: 23 Dec 2010, 15:46 »

I am not familiar with Saxon's/IPI's stuff, but I read this on IGS as an offer to interact, for Intaki characters to talk about their traditions.
For the uninitiated.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #22 on: 23 Dec 2010, 18:58 »

Being that I wrote the original post, I should probably respond.

I'm not sure I fully understand Soter's objection. If it's to my wording - "As most of you know..." that was an invitation, as Isobel said, for other Intaki characters to interact, make up some stories and get in on the fun. It wasn't meant to be, and isn't, frankly, any of the negative things you suggest.

If we can't make up content that isn't CCP sanctioned, it makes this a pretty beige experience, and I agree that it is a fine line, but there's nothing particularly offensive about Kumhbelaa, or anything that conflicts with your character, so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

That being said, I appreciate the people who have responded positively and got in on it. And it's great sharing of RP.

I love the collaborative nature of the RP - Art created Kumhbelaa as a response to discussion about the Intaki calendar with Saxon. I developed some stuff on the IGS. Ken responded, bring up some stuff from a story of mine. It's all collaborative

And I like it.

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
  • "I cannot live without books"
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #23 on: 23 Dec 2010, 19:59 »

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 23 Dec 2010, 21:26 »

I have lost count of the number of speeches I have heard over the years or opinion articles I have read over the years that use the phrase 'as most of you know' or 'as most of you are aware'. It's a common rhetorical device that allows the author/ speaker to state information that some of the audience are unaware of without patronizing those members who know it already.

The idea that a character using this phrase constitutes 'god-modding' by the player is not one I can agree with.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2010, 01:33 »

I've been on both sides of this dance lately, and I have to say, the steps are easier when you're on Saxon's side.  Simon's response IC is pretty representative of how I feel; what I'm working on developing is it's own thing that may or may not overlap with what Saxon is doing and that's cool.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
  • "I cannot live without books"
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2010, 12:25 »

Saisieni and Namas:

For those of you that haven't done so already, you should head over to the Free Intaki Forums (of the Intaki Liberation Front), specifically the thread on "Intaki Calendar" (unfortunately I don't have the link, as I'm posting from my blackberry).

The issue of the eleven-day holiday arose over the Intaki V planetary year being 602.2 days long. The eleven-day month was created as a correction to the calendar, which would be off by the corresponding amount after a period of five years (provided that each month on Intaki V were 30 days long). We took advantage of this variance to create a celebration unique to Intaki V. More technecalities are considered in the above-cited forum. However, it might very well be the case that especially those Intaki not born and raised on Intaki V, would not care much about Kumhbelaa; perhaps their parents or grandparents (or ancestors) would have been the ones to observe the celebration.

My thoughts, however, are that if we were to depend on CCP to create all content for our universe, then it really isn't OUR universe then. In fact, my philosophy is that they want us to - within reason - inject our thoughts, experiences, etc, into the EVE experience...perhaps those are my Caldari capitalistic genes speaking.

Speaking OOC...I assume we all have paying accounts with CCP...that being the case...we all contribute in many ways in the manipulation of the EVE universe, and really...EVE would not exist in its current form without our contributions. RPing and world-building is going to happen - even outside that produced via CCP canon. And that makes the world of EVE ever-more richer than without this input. Like it or not.

Just my humble thoughts.

Rikiaato and namas,

Art
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2010, 16:27 by Artabanus »

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 07 Jan 2011, 14:56 »

are you saying it should not have said "As most of you know", but instead "As many of you may know" ?
My 2 cents: while I do not consider the "most of you" such a wildly inappropriate thing to do, I do think that "as many of you may know" would have been OOCly more polite to other players.

First requires that I need to make a decision: 1) accept the suggestion that my character also thinks "most of us" know this, 2) question the posting character's idea of of what "most" know and think him/her a pompous ass for presuming that his/her customs are The Customs, or 3) declare my character belonging to a minority that does not know stuff that "everyone else" knows.

While any of those decisions are pretty easy and valid (and so this is not a big problem), phrasing it as "as many of you may know" does not require me to more than to decide if my character does or does not know. Whether "most" capsuleers know will be the sum of these decisions made. And so it feels more inviting: I can interact with the festival itself without having to take a stance on how common it is in the world in general.

It's not a choice between "just play whatever CCP has confirmed" and "make stuff up for ourselves". That's a false dichotomy.

You can make stuff up without assuming everyone (or most people) in the universe know about it. In general, I would advice against trying to define "stuff all X know about". It is fun and necessary to write background, but as you will never be able to distribute your background to all players of the race in question, it is much easier and more respectful to define "stuff some X subscribe to" and let people decide for themselves when they first run into it if they want to accomodate it, or invent something else, or keep stuff they invented already to contradict it. That also allows you to play with more people. If you define something as "the X way most if not all X know about", and someone else somewhere else had defined something contradictory as "the X way most if not all X know about", you cannot very easily play together.

For Matari this is easy: we can always do stuff for our clans, rather than a tribe or "Minmatar" in general. But then again, the EVE universe is huge, and races span whole planets. There's room for local variations for every race.

I am not sure if I explain this very well...
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 15:02 by Elsebeth Rhiannon »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 07 Jan 2011, 16:46 »

Every major civilization could have many festivities, its natural.

Congratz on kuhmbelaa, i hope to see you all in the celebrations of Federation Day around June  :P

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #29 on: 07 Jan 2011, 19:39 »

My 2 cents: while I do not consider the "most of you" such a wildly inappropriate thing to do, I do think that "as many of you may know" would have been OOCly more polite to other players.

First requires that I need to make a decision: 1) accept the suggestion that my character also thinks "most of us" know this, 2) question the posting character's idea of of what "most" know and think him/her a pompous ass for presuming that his/her customs are The Customs, or 3) declare my character belonging to a minority that does not know stuff that "everyone else" knows.

This is pretty much the meat of my prior disagreement with Saxon.  Luckily, Simon is from a minority group and he's been interpreting the ILF's continued pushing of 'the' Intaki culture as part of a broader agenda of theirs that he generally opposes.  And, since that phrase was IC, it feeds Simon's viewpoint perfectly, so I have nothing to complain about ;)
Formerly Simon Coal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4