Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that small, portable credit scanners can be used for facilitating personal transactions? (p. 90)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Yulai Protest Saturday 18/12  (Read 6032 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Yulai Protest Saturday 18/12
« on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:07 »

Ushra'Khan invites you.

I don't personally have anything to do with this event, but it looks like it could be very amusing. I'm definitely going there and there just might be a few interesting happenings. Check out the thread and get involved, people. With the various IC debacles about Concord going on, this ought to be a good place to get some RP done.

Nicely done, Ushra'Khan.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
Re: Yulai Protest Saturday 18/12
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2010, 09:37 »

Yea, was thinking to visit Yulai and see what happens.  :roll:

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2010, 10:11 »

Hrm... it's too bad Inara can't go there. I'd get GCC as soon as I jumped into system, which locks the gates and docking ranps in hisec.

However, props for protesting the corruption known as CONCORD.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2010, 13:11 »

Sounds like a fun event, I hope you all have a good turnout!

Obviously Silas not going to be seen there but I gave you kudos as best I could IC :)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2010, 13:15 »

Hrm... it's too bad Inara can't go there. I'd get GCC as soon as I jumped into system, which locks the gates and docking ranps in hisec.

However, props for protesting the corruption known as CONCORD.

Confirming CONCORD showed me the door out when I tried to sneak on by.

A lesson learned, as it were.

Curious to see how the event team responds to the U'K in Yulai.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2010, 22:14 »

Choosing the cautious and diplomatic route, I've decided to simply address this OOCly, but am I missing where the IC "coat of paint" was applied that portrays CONCORD distributing the Pax Amarria?  I'm just a bit confused at why a link to a clearly OOC dev blog can stand as IC "evidence".

My initial inclination was something like this:

The link provided as proof of the charge that CONCORD is mass-distributing the Pax Amarria seems to lead to a description of rules changes to an interactive entertainment medium.  It would be appreciated if you would correct this and supply the intended proof, as the accusation has captured my curiosity.

But that's the exact kind of "poke holes in your story with inconsistencies that exist in everyone's to some degree" way of doing things that totally rubs me the wrong way, so I decided against it.

I'm just curious how others feel about this "subtle incongruity" (i.e. not "OMG it destroys my immersion you better stop it!").

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2010, 22:33 »

Choosing the cautious and diplomatic route, I've decided to simply address this OOCly, but am I missing where the IC "coat of paint" was applied that portrays CONCORD distributing the Pax Amarria?  I'm just a bit confused at why a link to a clearly OOC dev blog can stand as IC "evidence".

My initial inclination was something like this:

The link provided as proof of the charge that CONCORD is mass-distributing the Pax Amarria seems to lead to a description of rules changes to an interactive entertainment medium.  It would be appreciated if you would correct this and supply the intended proof, as the accusation has captured my curiosity.

But that's the exact kind of "poke holes in your story with inconsistencies that exist in everyone's to some degree" way of doing things that totally rubs me the wrong way, so I decided against it.

I'm just curious how others feel about this "subtle incongruity" (i.e. not "OMG it destroys my immersion you better stop it!").

If I'm reading you right (correct me if I'm wrong of course), the confusion is stemming from the use of an OOC event under control of the devs as an IC resource.

I can't offer a straight answer, but, we've seen it happen multiple times. Case in point, the complaints of "Amarrian navy ships won't shoot Sansha, they must be sympathizers." My guess is, people like to read what they want to read in given situations. So in UKs mind, it registers as an IC affront from CONCORD, while the rest of the universe identifies it as a learning book replacement by the devs with a random, inconsequential item.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2010, 00:00 »

If I'm reading you right (correct me if I'm wrong of course), the confusion is stemming from the use of an OOC event under control of the devs as an IC resource.

I can't offer a straight answer, but, we've seen it happen multiple times. Case in point, the complaints of "Amarrian navy ships won't shoot Sansha, they must be sympathizers." My guess is, people like to read what they want to read in given situations. So in UKs mind, it registers as an IC affront from CONCORD, while the rest of the universe identifies it as a learning book replacement by the devs with a random, inconsequential item.

If it were something derived from an event that could fall under the "actions in space matter" heading, then I'd nod in agreement and move along, if for no better reason than that keeps the pressure on CCP to possibly make a change to address it.

Amarrian Navy vessels not firing on Sansha ships is something my characters could observe or verify if they were inclined to do so.  I'm not against anyone's character interpreting things they experience and responding to them, watching and participating in collisions of perception and worldview are where the fun is much of the time.

My OOC "wuh?" basically comes down to: how did that OOC dev blog get read by somebody's character, exactly (I mean without the universe imploding in on itself :9)?

The IC "wuh?" would be something like: "I'm amazed at how that link you provided was able to implicate CONCORD in the activities you described....without once mentioning the name CONCORD."
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2010, 00:14 by Syylara/Yaansu »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2010, 00:22 »

I guess the in-game stuff just irks me because we should be able to look at simplistic issues with game mechanics, and recognize, as fully functioning adults, what is and isn't; to me its sort of like seeing the "double ship glitch" and making an IGS post that Sansha agents have somehow fused your Hound and Cormorant together to make a supermachine for their evil machinations.

Anywho.

As for issue at hand, if anything its worse than the aforementioned irritation for someone to use a dev blog - can't get more OOC than that - and use it for IC stuff. Maybe I'm not seeing an obvious justification, but, at the moment, I'm just as stumped as you. >>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2010, 00:47 »

I thought the Pax-Amarr reference was actually quite clever, not to mention funny.

There are actually a ton of people with pax amarr in their cargoholds, so I suppose if people wanted to be picky about it there's in game evidence.

Or we could just go with it as a clever reference *shrug*

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:38 »

I'm not going to argue the use of Pax Amarria during the event as I found it clever and nicely used for RP. As long as it creates RP and no player factions are fucked by it, I'm cool with it.

Log of the whole proceedings.
Killboard Link to the bookburning. ... and some unfortunates who... err... forgot to leave the ship prior to the event. *coughs*

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:40 »

There are actually a ton of people with pax amarr in their cargoholds, so I suppose if people wanted to be picky about it there's in game evidence.

In game evidence of the Pax Amarria's existence?  I'm not disputing that.

In game evidence of CONCORD being the reason for a lot of copies being around suddenly?  That doesn't seem to follow, no.

Although I will offer that if some well-crafted (or hell, even zany and full of rhetoric, totally in line with expected U'K behavior :9) theory were put forward to explain the connection between the two that didn't involve a link to a web page originating here on planet Earth in the 21st century, I'd have never thought twice about it.

I'm not going to argue the use of Pax Amarria during the event as I found it clever and nicely used for RP. As long as it creates RP and no player factions are fucked by it, I'm cool with it.

I'm not arguing against "the use of the Pax Amarria during the event."

What does or does not constitute a "player faction"?

Besides, player factions are maligned, undermined, weakened, assaulted, and in some cases obliterated as part of RP quite frequently.

Again, though, all of this is non sequitur to the issue I am (trying) to address.

Attacking each other with damning accusations and providing or manufacturing evidence absolutely makes perfect sense for the setting.  A Dev blog explaining the mechanics of some game systems changes technically does not even exist in the same reality as our characters.

What would the response be to me linking to the dev blog where they said player fiction is going away for a while as "evidence the major powers are colluding to cause the media channel blackouts that have being going on for months"?
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2010, 04:43 by Syylara/Yaansu »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:18 »

The same explanation as always.

"Your source is a poor forgery and you're obviously delusional or intentionally ignorant."

... what? SF does it.

It's with this as it is with pretty much every RP venture that requires a little interpretation of either poorly fleshed out PF or events in-game that are poorly explained. You make up something that makes sense to you and your characters and if someone else disagrees with said interpretation of events, they get to lay forth their own theory on the matter.

Discrediting sources and so on is done all the time.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2010, 22:44 »

The same explanation as always.

"Your source is a poor forgery and you're obviously delusional or intentionally ignorant."

Once again, my actual issue is entirely dismissed.

How are my characters able to read a dev blog entry from CCP about EVE Online from 21st century Earth to begin with?

... what? SF does it.

Isn't this the kind of rationale that pre-adolescents quickly learn doesn't work very well?

It's with this as it is with pretty much every RP venture that requires a little interpretation of either poorly fleshed out PF or events in-game that are poorly explained.

Poorly fleshed out PF and events in-game have IC authority.

A dev blog does not.

You make up something that makes sense to you and your characters and if someone else disagrees with said interpretation of events, they get to lay forth their own theory on the matter.

If someone wants to interpret events as they see fit, that's fine and I've not said otherwise.

This is literally a case of using OOC knowledge ICly, however.

Discrediting sources and so on is done all the time.

In this case, I would have to discredit CCP...

...ICly

/boggle

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2010, 23:09 »

Syylara, how would you propose interpreting the sudden appearance of Pax Amarria in hangars, then?
Pages: [1] 2 3