Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Yulai Protest Saturday 18/12  (Read 6030 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Yulai Protest Saturday 18/12
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2010, 23:12 »

Syylara: If you find the use of OoC information unacceptable, ignore it as obvious forgeries or whatever. This isn't rocket surgery.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2010, 00:35 »

Syylara, how would you propose interpreting the sudden appearance of Pax Amarria in hangars, then?

That one could take a while to wrap my brain around.  Whatever I eventually came up with, it wouldn't involve linking an OOC dev blog on GalNet.  Perhaps an EVE version of The Gideons International?

Syylara: If you find the use of OoC information unacceptable, ignore it as obvious forgeries or whatever. This isn't rocket surgery.

I've chosen to do exactly that from an IC standpoint.

OOC, I just find the image quite hilarious...some capsuleer discovers these long-archived documents from the planet Earth including this dev blog, reads it and concludes to themselves "I knew CONCORD was behind this, to the GalNet postings!".  I just don't see the IC sequence of events that leads to the IGS post we're discussing.

That is literally the only thing burning up my brain on this issue: how did someone's character read that blog?  How did they access it, where did they find it, etc.

I've suddenly realized what the Amarrian response should be: "This archive referring to the Pax Amarria from eons ago is clearly a prophecy of our coming rise! We are petitioning the Theology Council to review its authenticity.  Once verified, it will become among our most holy relics displaying our devotion and faith.  Furthermore, we see a clear demonstration of the philosophy of abandoning the classical ideas of "knowledge" and replacing them with understanding of God's word!"

Edit: I appreciated Cosmopolite's take at it very much, that actually pulled in quite a few sources that do exist in the same reality-continuity as our characters (imo).
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 00:56 by Syylara/Yaansu »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2010, 06:25 »

Syylara, how would you propose interpreting the sudden appearance of Pax Amarria in hangars, then?

Did it appear in any hangars? I know it was supposed to replace all contracted skillbooks, but that part at least was clearly an organized conspiracy by every single broker responsible for those contracts, not CONCORD.

That, or Jovians did it.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Grr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:22 »

Baring in mind that the Pax Amarria is not scripture and in fact in some Amarr loyalist circles is burned on sight.  I would go as far as to conspire that if this was placed there in our hangers by some unknown force, it was done so by those hoping to make the Empire more liberal in its dealings.

Also, the SCC is responsible for collecting fee's from contracts isn't it?  Obviously if so, they could have their hand in the this.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:20 »

Yes, it replaced all existing learning skillbooks in hangars and cargoholds.

"A wizard did it" works in WoW but not here. ;)

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:30 »

Yes, it replaced all existing learning skillbooks in hangars and cargoholds.

Are you quite sure?

The dev blog ( http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=824 ) says skill books in hangars etc vanish, and only skillbooks on contract are replaced with Pax Amarria.

And I have not noticed a sudden pile of Pax Amarria in our corp hangars, despite us having had some learning skills there (we got a refund).
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 08:37 by Isobel Mitar »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:31 »

SOCT handed out shuttles left right and centre.

Jovian body parts also exploded into people's hangars.

Snowballs too.

:jovians:
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:29 »

I freely admit the possibility that I'm wrong at just about any given time. :) But even so, isn't the SCC part of CONCORD? Or do I have that wrong too?

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2010, 11:50 »

Baring in mind that the Pax Amarria is not scripture and in fact in some Amarr loyalist circles is burned on sight.  I would go as far as to conspire that if this was placed there in our hangers by some unknown force, it was done so by those hoping to make the Empire more liberal in its dealings.

Also, the SCC is responsible for collecting fee's from contracts isn't it?  Obviously if so, they could have their hand in the this.

This is why I'm not the right person to try and explain its sudden appearance, I don't even know what its significance is as a player :9.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #24 on: 23 Dec 2010, 06:26 »

This is literally a case of using OOC knowledge ICly, however.

It isn't really OOC knowledge though. Those book replacements happened in space. We all saw them. The thread was posted after the swap happened (although OOC we planned it beforehand).

The embedded link was OOC I'll grant you but it was meant for OOC purposes - to show players who may have missed wtf was happening what we were talking about - rather than as IC evidence.

No IC evidence of the event occurring was deemed to be needed for such a widespread phenomenon. The fact that open contracts had the item replaced meant that one way or another the SCC was involved.
Even if someone tried to spout 'jovians did it' as a handwave on Galnet we would claim that it must be jovians involved in CONCORD and the SCC and therefore our protest stands ;)

Bottom line the link was OOC but it wasn't intended to be IC or contain any information required IC.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #25 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:31 »

It isn't really OOC knowledge though. Those book replacements happened in space. We all saw them. The thread was posted after the swap happened (although OOC we planned it beforehand).

Yes, the book replacements actually happened, I get that.  I've said I get that several times and indicated that particular take on it (provided by Cosmopolite) worked just fine.

The embedded link was OOC I'll grant you but it was meant for OOC purposes - to show players who may have missed wtf was happening what we were talking about - rather than as IC evidence.

When someone embeds a link in the middle of an accusatory statement on IGS, it generally serves just one purpose: that of lending credibility to the claim being made.

Really, I think the big failure here is that Zym didn't apply the OOC censor...which would have actually played really nicely into a "see, they are censoring us because they don't want you to know" response.

No IC evidence of the event occurring was deemed to be needed for such a widespread phenomenon. The fact that open contracts had the item replaced meant that one way or another the SCC was involved.

I can agree, with such a widespread occurrence you probably don't need to prove that it happened.  But that's an entirely separate issue than proving your explanation for why it happened.

Bottom line the link was OOC but it wasn't intended to be IC or contain any information required IC.

Then it has no business being put in an IC forum without brackets around it.

A simple

"((for those unaware, this dev blog may be relevant))"

would have made for much less confusion :9.

Just to clarify, as well, this is all IMO, not emo.  People had fun with the event and RP generated and that's super :9.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2010, 21:16 »

Choosing the cautious and diplomatic route, I've decided to simply address this OOCly, but am I missing where the IC "coat of paint" was applied that portrays CONCORD distributing the Pax Amarria?  I'm just a bit confused at why a link to a clearly OOC dev blog can stand as IC "evidence".

The SCC is a member corp of CONCORD.

SCC corp description: The SCC is responsible for regulating and monitoring all trade transactions that take place on space stations. It has agents on all stations that record the transactions and they also offer courier and escrow services to make trade smooth.

The dev blog is irrelevant. What matters is that the SCC is the only organization that could replace items in active contracts. Any link to the dev blog could be considered OOC background information for those unaware. The link could be reported to the IGS forum moderators for being OOC if you wish.

« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2010, 23:43 by Kazzzi »

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #27 on: 25 Dec 2010, 00:04 »

Choosing the cautious and diplomatic route, I've decided to simply address this OOCly, but am I missing where the IC "coat of paint" was applied that portrays CONCORD distributing the Pax Amarria?  I'm just a bit confused at why a link to a clearly OOC dev blog can stand as IC "evidence".

The SCC is a member corp of CONCORD.

SCC corp description: The SCC is responsible for regulating and monitoring all trade transactions that take place on space stations. It has agents on all stations that record the transactions and they also offer courier and escrow services to make trade smooth.

The dev blog is irrelevant. What matters is that the SCC is the only organization that could replace items in active contracts. Any link to the dev blog could be considered OOC background information for those unaware. The link could be reported to the IGS forum moderators for being OOC if you wish.

I'm not repeating myself again, please read the whole thread.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2010, 06:14 »

There may be a news item about this. It will probably be inaccurate. Please don't hate us.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #29 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:16 »

Pro-tip: Muck Raker doesn't work for the... okay, I can't even finish that joke.

Anyway, there's no such thing as bad PR.

Pages: 1 [2] 3