Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mindflood, a sedative booster, is taken by pouring liquid from a vial onto a cloth, placing it over one's mouth, and inhaling the fumes? (The Burning Life p 38)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Human Brain: Even More Complex than You'd Have Thought  (Read 3007 times)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-11/sumc-nim111510.php

tl;dr: Research indicates that nerve cell synapses, previously thought to be only relaying signals between different cells, do actually contain such things as memory and computational capabilities. Which, potentially, increases the theoretical capabilities of the human brain by several orders of magnitude.

"In fact, one synapse may contain on the order of 1,000 molecular-scale switches. A single human brain has more switches than all the computers and routers and Internet connections on Earth."

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: Human Brain: Even More Complex than You'd Have Thought
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:24 »

A tremor in the force...like a million transhumanists suddenly cried out in terror.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:35 »

Best part about the brain is its plasticity.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:51 »

Good lawd.  :eek:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:30 »

Best part about the brain is its plasticity.

Best part about the brain is its taste... om nom nom!

Really interesting article!

Vikarion

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:37 »

A tremor in the force...like a million transhumanists suddenly cried out in terror.

Terror? No. I eagerly await the construction of mind-machine interfaces. Oh, and uploading. Do want.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2010, 08:25 »

you realize this is effectively proof that molecular scale switches can be made or grown? This is awesome.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2010, 15:36 »

I was mostly talking about the uploading fantasy. Don't you think this makes simulating the human brain for such purposes a mite more complicated?

Not seeing how this helps or hinders DNI, and given that we already know particle switches are possible, I'm not impressed in that respect.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Vikarion

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2010, 16:27 »

I was mostly talking about the uploading fantasy. Don't you think this makes simulating the human brain for such purposes a mite more complicated?

No. The problem before we make these discoveries is that we don't know how it works. Once we do know (not that this is the final step in that, by any means), we can understand it. If we can understand it, we can create it. We are already learning how to integrate nerve commands into machinery, eventually, we will be able to recreate the brain itself.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2010, 20:08 »

So the discovery that what we thought was one kind of synapse is actually several won't require additional resources to simulate in a hypothetical uploaded brain?

As for integrating nerve impulses into machinery, that doesn't help at all. It's the meat that's doing all the heavy lifting in that arrangement; the converse requires entirely different engineering.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2010, 21:05 »

So the discovery that what we thought was one kind of synapse is actually several won't require additional resources to simulate in a hypothetical uploaded brain?

As for integrating nerve impulses into machinery, that doesn't help at all. It's the meat that's doing all the heavy lifting in that arrangement; the converse requires entirely different engineering.

Not to derail but are you a doc in RL

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2010, 21:20 »

Uh. No?

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2010, 21:31 »

You're well versed in talking about brain structure. Anyway.

Anything that leads humanity to a longer life span and further ability, keep on researching.

Vikarion

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2010, 00:37 »

Quote from: Z.Sinraali

I think we have a different way of thinking about things. To me, it isn't a setback, because we were wrong before, and now that we have discovered differently, are closer to aligning our understanding with the objective reality that exists whether we understand it or not.

Quote from: Z.Sinraali

A hundred years ago, people regularly died from what we would call a minor infection today, because they didn't have antibiotics. Fifty years ago, people considered color television sets the size of a small car the height of technology. I think I have reason for optimism.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2010, 12:14 »

A hundred years ago, people regularly died from what we would call a minor infection today, because they didn't have antibiotics. Fifty years ago, people considered color television sets the size of a small car the height of technology. I think I have reason for optimism.
A hundred years ago, the thought of a global war was incomprehensible, and the prospect of eradicating an entire city in atomic fire relegated to pulp sci-fi comics. Thirty years after that, we managed to kill off about a hundred million of ourselves. Any optimism with respect to the human race should be counter-balanced with a healthy fear of ourselves. For every great inventor that revolutionizes society with a new invention, there are ten generals looking to weaponize said invention, a hundred spies trying to steal it, and a thousand soldiers itching to drop it on the savage enemy.
Pages: [1] 2