Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Grown on a terrestrial world in the Harroule system, the Dryweed plant has fragile, yellowish leaves that burn very slowly, giving off a pleasant vapor that is known to have a soothing effect when inhaled.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Human Brain: Even More Complex than You'd Have Thought  (Read 3006 times)

Vikarion

Re: Human Brain: Even More Complex than You'd Have Thought
« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2010, 13:38 »

I have optimism about our ability to invent, not about our uses of invention. I'm hoping that we can change the nature of humanity itself, however, with suitably advanced technology, and by such, perhaps reduce the reasons for pessimism. It's a long shot, of course.

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2010, 15:49 »

A hundred years ago, people regularly died from what we would call a minor infection today, because they didn't have antibiotics. Fifty years ago, people considered color television sets the size of a small car the height of technology. I think I have reason for optimism.
A hundred years ago, the thought of a global war was incomprehensible, and the prospect of eradicating an entire city in atomic fire relegated to pulp sci-fi comics. Thirty years after that, we managed to kill off about a hundred million of ourselves. Any optimism with respect to the human race should be counter-balanced with a healthy fear of ourselves. For every great inventor that revolutionizes society with a new invention, there are ten generals looking to weaponize said invention, a hundred spies trying to steal it, and a thousand soldiers itching to drop it on the savage enemy.

There are more humans alive today, than have died during our existence on earth.
The only natural enemy a human has is another human.
Humanity's rise coincides with the latest mass extinction event.

And lastly.

From a scientific view humanity is a young species, our modern science and culture not even that.
Seeing whether we'll survive our success, is going to be a blast.
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2010, 16:01 »

Quote from: Z.Sinraali
So the discovery that what we thought was one kind of synapse is actually several won't require additional resources to simulate in a hypothetical uploaded brain?

I think we have a different way of thinking about things. To me, it isn't a setback, because we were wrong before, and now that we have discovered differently, are closer to aligning our understanding with the objective reality that exists whether we understand it or not.

Well, not so much thinking about them differently, but we're definitely saying different things. You're saying it's closer than it actually was. Absolutely true. I'm saying it's further than the fanboys (a group which does not necessarily include any of the transhumanists here) thought it was.

Quote from: Z.Sinraali
As for integrating nerve impulses into machinery, that doesn't help at all. It's the meat that's doing all the heavy lifting in that arrangement; the converse requires entirely different engineering.

A hundred years ago, people regularly died from what we would call a minor infection today, because they didn't have antibiotics. Fifty years ago, people considered color television sets the size of a small car the height of technology. I think I have reason for optimism.
[/quote]

The point wasn't about progress in general. I was only saying that shoving electrodes in someone's skull and having them move a robot arm around doesn't get us any closer to replicating the function of the brain.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2010, 22:55 »

tl;dr - the human body is an awesomely complex computer. Not surprised, at all.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:27 »

So what if there are people on earth that don't use it.  :roll:
Pages: 1 [2]