Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Fiery Kernite once led to an epic bar brawl in the Syndicate, leading it to be called "Rage Stone"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Alcohol consumption for fun and profit: your favorites.  (Read 6350 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: Alcohol consumption for fun and profit: your favorites.
« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2010, 19:45 »

Hard liquor: Vodka.

Wine: Grape vodka.

Beer: None.

Mixed drinks: Double vodka, neat, with vodka.

We'd get along.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2010, 20:14 »

Why does everyone here drink so much

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2010, 21:05 »

Why does everyone here drink so much

because we have problems, and alcohol is a great way of not solving them.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #18 on: 17 Sep 2010, 21:29 »

Have you considered, Ben, that maybe, possibly, there might be a smidgen of sample bias at work in a thread asking people what their favorite alcohol by type is?

For example, I only drink for the social lubricant benefits, and then usually only beer, of which I have little preference other than 'Not Budweiser/Miller/other such crap'.

Though I do have a permanent soft spot in my heart for Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve. Probably because of residual branding effects from seeing the ads on TV as a youth.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2010, 22:18 »

To answer your question Ben, the reasons are many, and most of them personal, ranging from people just liking to get shithoused, the social lubrication factor, to self medication.

I drink a ton because I cannot survive without it. I have worst case scenario PTSD and maintaining a buzz all day allows me to function on a level that no medication has allowed me to so far. Fuck, even my shrink thinks it is working out well as long as I don't drive.

I have a wife and a kid, and I can't exist drooling in a fetal position.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2010, 22:25 »

I DRINK BECAUSE IT MAKES FAT GIRLS FUCKABLE

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2010, 23:16 »

I DRINK BECAUSE IT MAKES FAT GIRLS FUCKABLE

Also this.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2010, 23:40 »

Liquor: I prefer good Scotch, then cheap scotch, then Crown Royal if the pickings are slim. I prefer whiskey because my stomach can handle a lot more of it (hence: DRUNKRE!) than anything else without stability issues.
Unfortunately due to holes in my stomach and esophagus, I have to chug a shot, then chug a chaser (usually carbonated), otherwise I start bleeding down there, and that tastes nasty. Doing so several times in a row gets me drunk fast tho.

Wine: Avoid. Gives me morning headaches. People who disturb (read: MAKE LOUD NOISE "HEY HOW ARE YOU THIS MORNING!") risk real and unprovoked violence to be suddenly visited upon them. The only hangovers I've ever had to deal with came from Wine. Fuck that.

Beer: The darker and higher ABV %, the better. German and Belgian are best, Guinness or Newcastle Brown if I'm in a shitty store with no good selection. Samuel Adams has a few good seasonal beers now and then.

My favorite: Chimay Grande Reserve (Belgian Trappist Monk Beer)

Give me a bottle of this to pound down, and I may suddenly start behaving like life is wonderful.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Vikarion

« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2010, 00:08 »

I can't say that I enjoy alcohol for any other reason than the taste, and perhaps a very mild buzz. I try to avoid anything more than that - as I've noted before, I prefer to have complete control over my actions.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:39 »

I can't say that I enjoy alcohol for any other reason than the taste, and perhaps a very mild buzz. I try to avoid anything more than that - as I've noted before, I prefer to have complete control over my actions.

Works different for everyone I suppose. If I had any sort of control over my actions I wouldn't be celebrating my tenth year of happy marriage and my child's 8th birthday.

ET to clarify: They were both the result of an epic bender.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2010, 05:19 »

Hard liquor: Vodka, Grey Goose.

Wine: Do not tend to drink wines..

Beer: Molson Canadian.

Mixed drinks: Caesar, Vodka and Clamato.. not Tomato Juice.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2010, 08:34 »

Ben: I like the taste of (good) beer. I enjoy the feeling of having one or two; rarely do I have more than that. (/nod Vikarion)

But also: yeah, I expect the folks that rarely or never drink probably don't post a lot in threads asking them what they like to drink. Y'know.

Vieve

« Reply #27 on: 18 Sep 2010, 17:11 »

Beer: I prefer lambic and hard apple cider, but I'll tolerate beer as long as it doesn't taste like a rotten loaf of bread or weak vinegar strained through a bag of lawn clippings.

Wine:  Yes, please, I'll have another glass.  Especially if it's a Cakebread red.

Mixed Drinks: 

Summer:  Sapphire tonics. Georgia Iced Tea (brewed iced tea -- none of that instant crap -- with a shot of peach liqueur and a lemon twist).

Winter: Tart lemondrop martinis, hold the damn sugar and you'd better not be using a bottled mix.  CafĂ© Borgia (my favorite interpretation of one: a cappuccino with a shot of Cointreau, some orange peel and a drizzle of melted dark chocolate).

Vieve-Bane:

Cheap port or Madeira.  Even a small glass of either will give me a nasty headache. 

Ouzo, Sambuca, or any licorice based alcohol.  Want me out of a room fast?  Light up a clove cigarette and pour yourself a glass of that stuff.  After once drinking enough ouzo not to care about the nasty taste and smell, I lost several hours of my life.  Heck, I possibly might have lost the rest of it if my sainted then-apartment mate hadn't been in medical school.  (Other life lesson learned: have something more entertaining to do on a Friday night than drink liquor cabinet leftovers while cleaning out the refrigerator.)

I can't drink anything but Southern Comfort without throwing up, and I prefer it in Pepsi. It's nice and smooth, which is how I like it. It's not a kick in the teeth. It can sneak up on you though, it's so smooth you don't think you're getting drunk....then you try to do something like lift your next drink, and find you've lost the strength....

Southern Comfort and Coke (I can't stand Pepsi) was my first-time-around collegiate liquor of choice.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #28 on: 19 Sep 2010, 20:47 »

I'll drink pretty much anything, but my favs are

Kostritzer, German black beer. Try it.

Dragonhead stout

Myer's rum

Drambuie, straight

Vikarion

« Reply #29 on: 19 Sep 2010, 22:17 »

I have to admit that I pretty much loathe rum. To me, it's only a half-step up from gasoline.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4