Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That not all slaves are subjected to the Vitoc treatment?  Read more about the Vitoc method here.

Author Topic: CMS Rolodex for Character Bios  (Read 2874 times)

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
CMS Rolodex for Character Bios
« on: 17 Apr 2010, 16:12 »

And I'm not sure how much I like reviving ICNet OR sticking them in the official wiki.
Good point - I still think the wiki is a good place for articles about corporations, albeit open to potential vandalism, but I'm a little less keen on putting anything major about Havo or other characters I play there now.

I think this calls for a new solution in the long run; in the short run, a new subforum or child board may be useful but it reduces thread visibility. There's already WAY too fucking many boards >< God.
The visibility was my main reason for suggesting one sticky thread where they'd all be linked in the OP, with any moderator able to add a new member's bio link to the original post as they're added.  I think one of the main reasons that threads like that sort of die eventually is that there's just one person responsible for keeping up with them - a perfect example would be the RP Corp List threads that eventually stop being updated as the only person with the ability to edit the list gets busy with other things and loses track of it or goes inactive altogether.  I think if it were more of a 'community forum feature' in the sense that multiple people could update the list (in this case, anyone with mod powers), then it would see greater longevity.

Of course, that's all contingent on the mods being willing to keep track of such stickied list threads ;)

Yeah, welp. Sticky threads might be alright as a temporary solution, but their tendency is to turn into a morass of disorganized, un-alphabetized shit that turns into three pages of posts chock-full of links as staff members pass the responsibility of maintaining threads in forum X and Y from hand to hand, so.

We should make some kind of, like, CMS Rolodex. To order this shit in a way that sorts by name/alphabetical, current corp, corp history, current alliance, alliance history, faction alignment, faction standing, etc.

Too likely to fuck things up if you leave it entirely to humans and forums otherwise.

Plus I think you can query the EVE server to GET things like corp histories and just plug 'em into other stuff naow, without an ALI key. Like a CMS, or a SQL database?
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2010, 16:46 by Havohej »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
CMS Rolodex for Corps/Alliances and Character Bios
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2010, 16:14 »

Think for the time being at least the sticky idea is the best solution. I don't think that the bios will clutter up the section *too* much. Having that much activity would be the sort of problem I would like to have.

This reminds me, need something similar in the corp section for RP corps. Not just recuitment threads, but stuff that will actually tell you about the corp etc - even if they aren't recruiting?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Character bio tool
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2010, 16:15 »

Yeah, welp. Sticky threads might be alright as a temporary solution, but their tendency is to turn into a morass of disorganized, un-alphabetized shit that turns into three pages of posts chock-full of links as staff members pass the responsibility of maintaining threads in forum X and Y from hand to hand, so.

We should make some kind of, like, CMS Rolodex. To order this shit in a way that sorts by name/alphabetical, current corp, corp history, current alliance, alliance history, faction alignment, faction standing, etc.

Too likely to fuck things up if you leave it entirely to humans and forums otherwise.

Plus I think you can query the EVE server to GET things like corp histories and just plug 'em into other stuff naow, without an ALI key. Like a CMS, or a SQL database?

Would take a commitment from someone with the experience, skills, and time to do it.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
Character bio tool
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2010, 16:20 »

...thread-split into web development subforum?

Also, maybe we could get into the EVE Gate code. Iono! Iono /o\

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Character bio tool
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2010, 16:31 »

...thread-split into web development subforum?

Done