Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The original starship classes in EVE were frigates, cruisers, industrials and the elusive Battleships?

Author Topic: Separation of CharDevelopment and CharBios?  (Read 3153 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Separation of CharDevelopment and CharBios?
« on: 17 Apr 2010, 04:24 »

I'm glad there's a section for both of these things, but I'd hate to have good bios lost in the shuffle of other topics in what I hope will be a flourishing CharDevelopment forum.

Can I recommend a subforum in CharDev for Character bios?

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Vincent Pryce

Re: Separation of CharDevelopment and CharBios?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:16 »

./signed for support :3

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:44 »

Sounds like a good idea to me. +1
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:46 »

I think it's a good idea, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better off in a sticky with all of the character bios linked from it.. like, new member posts bio, links it in the sticky, any mod who sees it first can add that link to the OP of the sticky then remove the post to keep it clean and tidy?

Not that I'm against subforums, mind.  Whichever option folks think would be easier to navigate, we can do :)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:52 »

I suggest incorporation of a wiki for things like characters, corporations, histories, etc. Either a link to EVElopedia or development of a new one (unless there's a highly-used one already that has escaped me, which well could be).

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2010, 09:05 »

I like wikis, but a problem I ran into with Du'uma Fiisi is all the sort of stuff we would've posted to the wiki, we were posting to the forum anyway so it sort of fell out of use (which was a shame, I put a lot of effort into that css on that to make it look right - less intuitive in its arrangements than I was used to). I think we might run into the same problem here, BUT this sort of idea (expansion of the webspace) is one of the main reasons why we put the forum on a subdomain.. to leave it more open for additional things to be added to the EVE-Inspiracy.com "brand" over time.  I suggest starting a discussion thread about this in the Web Development and Site Suggestions board to elaborate on your idea and draw more focused feedback :)

I'm interested in using the official EVE wiki though.  If no such character bio page or template already exists, maybe someone could work on that?  I remember not too long ago someone made a template for corp/alliance histories for EVE's wiki... forget where I saw that, might have been Cosmo's work posted on the Star Fraction boards.  I figure stuff like that (wiki posting templates) could be posted here in the related sections and interested individuals could then post their stuff to EVElopedia in addition to sharing it here.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2010, 10:30 »

Links to resources like those templates would be good too.

Edit: Also, to expand a bit on the reasoning behind the character bio thing: It also provides a base for when people want to discuss the development of their character. A wiki entry would be good also I think.

I like Havo's idea of maintaining a list, too.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2010, 10:40 by Silver Night »

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2010, 15:54 »

This is the sort of thing that, in the end, would best be kept off the forum entirely with automatic linking to char bios in a sig.

Forums are discussion tools. Unless you need to discuss your public bio, which is legit char DEVELOPMENT, you're putting up a piece of player canon.

And I'm not sure how much I like reviving ICNet OR sticking them in the official wiki. The former failed, the latter is openly editable by everyone. I think this calls for a new solution in the long run; in the short run, a new subforum or child board may be useful but it reduces thread visibility. There's already WAY too fucking many boards >< God.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2010, 16:05 »

And I'm not sure how much I like reviving ICNet OR sticking them in the official wiki.
Good point - I still think the wiki is a good place for articles about corporations, albeit open to potential vandalism, but I'm a little less keen on putting anything major about Havo or other characters I play there now.

I think this calls for a new solution in the long run; in the short run, a new subforum or child board may be useful but it reduces thread visibility. There's already WAY too fucking many boards >< God.
The visibility was my main reason for suggesting one sticky thread where they'd all be linked in the OP, with any moderator able to add a new member's bio link to the original post as they're added.  I think one of the main reasons that threads like that sort of die eventually is that there's just one person responsible for keeping up with them - a perfect example would be the RP Corp List threads that eventually stop being updated as the only person with the ability to edit the list gets busy with other things and loses track of it or goes inactive altogether.  I think if it were more of a 'community forum feature' in the sense that multiple people could update the list (in this case, anyone with mod powers), then it would see greater longevity.

Of course, that's all contingent on the mods being willing to keep track of such stickied list threads ;)

Twitter

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:09 »

So, there used to be like five more posts in this thread that involved me proposing a solution that meant some kind of big PITA of a project involving code and stuff.

Silver, being the light-touch kinda guy he is, chopped them off and chucked them into Web Development and Site Suggestions without so much as a link.

So, for the interested: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=109.0

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2010, 14:26 »

Hey, I'm new to the moderation game. I'll get the hang of it.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2010, 14:27 »

Just razzin' yew. Still got mah clownhat from the official fan club an' all :P