Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The original starship classes in EVE were frigates, cruisers, industrials and the elusive Battleships?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: [Language] Amarrad  (Read 55604 times)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Re: [Language] Amarrad
« Reply #75 on: 10 Jul 2011, 08:52 »

People are settling back into their routines after the exhausting tempest of Fanfest, so I bring refreshing treats!

Been working on pieces of this for a while, and recently hammered out the final parts. Don't do lyrics that often, and this probably deserves a few edits still. Even so, I've gone through translation to see if it works in Amarrad...

<snip>

The song would have a choir and a solist (choir on the left, solist on the right above), likely a boy's choir and a mature male vocalist. It's a Kameira psalm, highlighting their position of servitude and their struggle to approach God in their grisly duty.

I'm not sure if this is the place for it but...

There is, for those of you who haven't heard of it, a famous series of SF novels about mercenaries called the Dorsai trilogy by Gordon R. Dickson.

Book two introduces a competing group of mercs from a bunch of impoverished colonies settled by religious extremists. They are called the Friendlies. Their battle hymn goes:

Soldier, ask not - now or ever,
Where to war your banners go.
Anarch's legions all surround us
Strike - and do not count the blow.

Glory, honour, praise and profit,
Are but toys of tinsel worth.
Render up your work unasking,
Leave the human clay to earth.

Blood and sorrow, pain unending,
Are the portion of us all.
Grasp the naked sword opposing.
Gladly in the battle fall.

So shall we, anointed soldiers,
Stand at last before the Throne.
Baptized in our wounds, red-flowing,
Sealed unto our Lord - alone!

Sounds OK for the Amarr, no? No idea if it would work in Amarrad though.

It's usually sung to the tune of an old New Model Army marching song (from the English Civil War for those of you who don't know who they are) called Babylon is Fallen.

Music, and original lyrics, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmDwjDiDXb8.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #76 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:20 »

Nicely done!

Languages are sort of my "thing" especially those of central and western asia  :D

The Amarr RP pancakes are, indeed, coated in tasty syrup!

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #77 on: 21 Jul 2011, 15:36 »

Because I found myself in need of a generic greeting:

Ashaltiasten

Ashal - good, blessed, holy
tiast - time, moment
-en - plural suffix

Basically a broad "good morning/day/evening" that could either be an organic development or something that came out of post-unification Athran society where people were communicating across timezones, and which carried over into space as people were operating on completely different local clocks.

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #78 on: 06 Aug 2011, 10:37 »

I love the idea of this so I thought I would see if I had the skill to help. As a result I have translated http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Holder_Oath into Amarrad. Please let me know what you think.

English:
Give strength to my hands, O God, to wipe away all stain, so that I may be able to serve you in purity of mind and body.
Lord, set Avetat the staff of salvation in my hand to fend off all the assaults of Molok.
Purify me, Lord, and cleanse my heart so that, washed in the Blood of the Ancients, so that I may be able to lead the people in purity of mind and body.
Lord, gird me with the belt of purity and extinguish my fleshly desires, that the virtues of reverence and service may abide within me.
Lord, restore Avetat the crown of immortality, which I lost through the collusion of our first parents, and, unworthy as I am to approach Thy sacred mysteries, may I yet gain eternal joy.

Amarrad:
E fin tey emarr Dei emarr manan valoutit e derm neercotim emarr lojvamil ta necrunh vaslecei Dei e Tet
khane man veda Avetat e ribnarermi kuchcot ulesm sedch murek ur Molok
neercotim em khane, ta kuchul emarr lojha Chov avotheti  sabiku  chov em labili  onhachu  Haman neercotu  lojvamil ta necrunh
Khane jomn em sher  cosum  neercot  vizotir em  emarr sjamau vanec chov em ashal  yetistirim lab vavor icinkh em.
Khane leheneratu Avetat e taash meretat chov em galdu amarr ikhni jafha, nepemkuch hurbil Dei e tet ascunscrat lab em osedas gasi ubday posa.

Lit(ish). trans:
from you my God my hands tied the power to purify my mind and body to serve God the Divine
Lord to my hand give Avetat the staff of salvation to achieve defeat of the fight off Molok
Purify me, Lord, and liberate my heart that, washed in the Blood of the Ancients, so that I may be the leader of the men pure of mind and body.
Lord, stenght me with the harness of pure and bleed me of my fleshly, meatly desires, that the holyness cultivate reverence may live inside me.
Lord, restore Avetat the crown of immortality, that I lost through the collusion of our first parents, and, unworthy as I am to approach God The divine mysteries, may I future gain eternal joy.

Boffles

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #79 on: 06 Aug 2011, 10:43 »

ok so to explain some of my word choses, find below the explaination of where the words came from

amkhim=Light or Moving Sun, general light
Khim = religious light
Khimtetu= belief= Light (sun) of the divine = khim tetu
Herartetu = Disbelief = Night of the divine = Herart tetu
ekhimtetu = believer = A person with the word of the light of the divine = em Khim tetu
teheratetu = Unbeliever= A person with the night of the divine = tey Herart tetu

kuchcot = Salvation = liberate from evil = Kuchul fin cotij
fincot = sin = from evil =fincotij
fincotey = sinner
neercot = pure = not with evil = nep sher cotij

If this is completely terrible feel free to tell me so

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #80 on: 06 Aug 2011, 13:08 »

:cube:

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #81 on: 06 Aug 2011, 14:30 »

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #83 on: 06 Aug 2011, 14:55 »

Arteko amkhimu amkh ta Khimtetu for Dei e tet, theko alej emun

Between the light of the sun and the belief in God the Divine there is but faith

I really should create an Amarr character. :)

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #84 on: 06 Oct 2011, 16:30 »

Edit : Removed as realised that made a fundimental error I will post again soon
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2011, 13:24 by boffles »

Publius Valerius

« Reply #85 on: 14 Dec 2011, 16:12 »

<rambling>

Was looking through some Evelopedia pages in hope of mining some data for this project, and I found some interesting fan conjecture:
A second interesting feature of the family names is, that by an new takeover in the family, the new head of the family lost his nomen gentile and praenomen. He kept just his cognomen, so that Garkeh (praenomen) Khanid (nomen gentile) Khanid II (cognomen) beomes to just Khanid II. Another example: If had Dakos become the new head, Naladon Khanid Dakos, would become just to Dakos.The cognomen is also used inside the narrower family circle and in the news. Family memebers outside of the succession, like related by marriage, may not take a cognomen, like the grand admiral of the royal navy Zidarez Khanid.

This would be the Roman method of naming, having a first name, a "clan" name and a name of the family within that clan. i.e: Gaius (praenomen) Octavius (gentile) Thurinus (cognomen), later modified by a bunch of adoptions and honorifics to become Gaius Iulius Caesar Augustus.

Pretty sure Dakos would be the praenomen of Dakos Khanid, and I don't think we've seen any indication of sub-family or additional given names in PF, but it's still a good base to work from, even if the Amarr approach the different names from another direction.

For example, as noted in my wall of text above, the Amarr seem to emphasize the praenomen of its nobles - unlike Roman names where the given name was almost always ignored in favour of the family name.

If we return to my conjecture of place-naming, it's possible that the Amarr have/had Tria Nomina with a praenomen (given name, possibly several), toponym (associated place name), nomen gentile (family name) and potentially also cognomen (sub-family name or nickname).

It seems likely that if the structure was ever rigid, it's now probably turned rather fluid. As people by necessity or prestige mainly became known by their toponym, those toponyms may have re-entered use or shifted to be considered praenomen. With a more extensive number of praenomen, the cognomen as a differentiator would be rendered practically useless - so Amarr names today would likely simply be rendered praenomen + nomen gentile.

In certain large noble families (such as the royal houses) you would probably find some sort of sub-family name structure (separating the core of the family from satellite lines that are still related but hardly considered a part of the royal hierarchy), and those families would likely be driven by convention to use their sub-family name as their surname instead of the core family's name. Looking at it again, you might have something like:

First name(s) + Family name + House name (when applicable)

I know that Merdaneth has named his character Ubar-Sarum. Depending on how the family name is supposed to be regarded, the name could be de-constructed into:

Merdaneth (First name) Ubar (Family) Sarum (House)

or

Merdaneth (First name) Ubar-Sarum (Family) Sarum (House)

Horatius' name would be:

Horatius Kheed Zeremassa (First names) Caul (Family) Sarum (House)

Amarrad terms:
First name - negesh iszenu (lit: name of human/person)
Family name - negesh fhaidu (lit: name of father) or negesh atanu (lit: name of ancestors, usually reserved for family names of long history and perceived esteem)
House name - negesh hedienu (lit: name of house)

</rambling>

First of all... Nice work realy good...

Now I have the feeling I have to expalin my self :P
So Why I choose.. the three name... that first...
I have write the article in the old days, where you can have just two names... so I choose first three names, because I was annoy  about the user... like Khand ||, Khanid ii, Khanid II or Khanid ıı. You could always count that all 6 months someone of those peolpe show up... with something like "Im your King" etc...
The second reason was... that I thought that if the family had just two names Khanid Khanid would be sound weird... and it very possible that the family would use another name to like... Louis XIV of France and his ancestors and his successor... because almost every boy in the family had the name Louis.. would the mother screem after one, she had to use a nickname like Xavier... etc.. the rest have I pull out of thin air. :P

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #86 on: 15 Dec 2011, 07:17 »

I dunno. I kinda like the idea that King Khanid's name really is Khanid Khanid the Second (which of course adds the fact that there was someone else named Khanid Khanid before him)  :P

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #87 on: 02 Jan 2012, 07:59 »

Quote from: Amarrad
em noc ejed fin e ikhni cliptab ejed emarr shaife ata cliptabu  emarr exkhaies vaslech aphrimu  imla
em noc ejed fin e ikhni  passado cliptabu  emarr khaies atingere et tarafin aphrimu  imla 
em noc usc emarr vamilsit  ta vamoijr  ejed mai emkuchu aphrimu imla     
lab em iekh dive dovedi em  nay iekhu ambeden         

Quote from: Amarrad
I who was from my birth to my death under the Blessing of god
I who have been in each moment of my life touched by the blessing of god
I who with my thoughts and fears have never been worthy of the blessing of god
May I one day prove myself once more to be one of Gods believers

Sorry been gone so long. I have something more very soon.

moment,   cliptab
until,         ata
touch,       atingere
last,          passado
prove,      dovedi

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #88 on: 27 Mar 2012, 06:36 »

Louella made an excellent post in the Northern Sebiestor thread about giving words to unique concepts. Thinking about that I could identify two clear such concepts in amarish and set out to make some more for amarrad.

The two I identified were kaoli (the idea of siding with a person and take on any threats against them as threats to yourself) and shatol'syn (the act of sacrificing yourself for the sake of stability). Shatol'syn is interesting because it's a two-parter and can thus be broken apart for more stuff. I admit that my extrapolation from the word is entirely based on my rather speculative take on its meaning, but it makes a good base for future work, and a good thematic anchor that people can recognize. Thus:

shatol - n. taken bluntly it means "balance" but the way it's used in the scriptures it's closer to "divine order" and "greater good".

syn - n. "suicide", usually in a context of noble sacrifice. Warrior saints of old who took their own lives rather than be captured by the enemy are usually said to commit syn.

Combined, shatol'syn makes the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of stability. It probably existed as a concept way before the Moral Reforms, but after the new order was instated the term was definitely brought to the fore anew. It was what had to be necessary to ensure there were no potential usurpers within the Empire after a succession - a sacrifice to ensure the stability of order.

Using shatol we can build similar related terms. One I could identify as probably being common in a struggling minor community as well as in a sprawling feudal empire is to set aside your own desires and motivations if it preserves order. Combining some of the roots I have developed for amarrad I came up with this:

ezmyj - n. "no mouth" or "closed jaw"

shatol'ezmyj - the act of going with a closed mouth - silent and hungry - if it benefits stability and, by extension, one's ability to speak and eat in the future. This would be both a virtue in times of struggle, something parents threaten their children with, and something lords invoke to ask for patience from their vassals. It would also mean ignoring corruption and malpractice if drawing attention to it might have a destabilizing effect. Generally it's a concept that saturates much of Amarr society. The modern example would be tolerance of Jamyl's reign despite her suspicious ascendancy, as well as the lack of opposition towards Karsoth's interregnum.

Also working from existing amarrad roots, I constructed the following words for unique concepts:

imheyeshe - someone who pays lip service to the faith (rather serious insult)

vinashilam - a non-clergyman who knows the scriptures (a wise noble or commoner)

ambajzil - a non-clergyman who thinks he knows the scriptures (another insult, humorously very similar to "imbecile")

Lyn Farel

« Reply #89 on: 27 Mar 2012, 13:40 »

Im so going to call people ambajzil now.  :cube:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9