Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ishukone corporation is one of the major players in the 'liberal' faction and was the first non-Jovian organization to receive capsule technology from the Jovians?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: [Language] Amarrad  (Read 55562 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: [Language] Amarrad
« Reply #90 on: 27 Mar 2012, 19:01 »

We all know Amarrians really sound like the Martians in Mars Attacks
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #91 on: 28 Mar 2012, 11:28 »

Louella made an excellent post

\o/

shatol'ezmyj - the act of going with a closed mouth - silent and hungry - if it benefits stability and, by extension, one's ability to speak and eat in the future. This would be both a virtue in times of struggle, something parents threaten their children with, and something lords invoke to ask for patience from their vassals. It would also mean ignoring corruption and malpractice if drawing attention to it might have a destabilizing effect. Generally it's a concept that saturates much of Amarr society. The modern example would be tolerance of Jamyl's reign despite her suspicious ascendancy, as well as the lack of opposition towards Karsoth's interregnum.

I like this one, because, one of the Amarr corporation descriptions mentions how there have been periods of famine in the past.

"Nurtura - The Amarrians have whole planets dedicated to food production, the populous state has bitter experience from famine and wants to make sure it never experiences famine again on a large scale. Nurtura is one of the larger Amarrian agricultural companies, one that has been in the forefront of exporting basic foodstuff to the other empires."
\o/

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #92 on: 28 Mar 2012, 13:45 »

Yeah, it might stem from historical famines. Learn to endure the hunger, and when you have lived through the famine there will be all the more food on the table for you.

The concept would have gradually turned into patience for the greater picture though.

The Tash-Murkon family endured political hardship for their heritage, but still served with distinction. They worked hard and didn't make a fuss - and when the time came around their shatol'ezmyj paid off, taking up the royal seat of House Khanid.

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #93 on: 01 Jun 2012, 15:55 »

Horatius,

Hope you don't mind but I have used a little Amarrad in my submission to EON. Fingers cross if it gets in means Amarrad would become Canon... We can but hope.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #94 on: 01 Jun 2012, 18:59 »

The language belongs to everyone. No need to ask permission, but as always it's nice when people post that they've used it - just to show it's alive.

I hope you get published!

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #95 on: 04 Jun 2012, 06:48 »

Just for a bit of fun. In honour of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in the UK... I give you the national Anthem....

Imla muhaf amarr kuch reshjval.
Onli vavor amarr khaios reshjval.
Dei muhaf e reshjval.

Veda lav iach jenilgh,
aphrid ta hubrana.
Onil vatejbrek rana amarr.
Dei muhaf e reshjval

And the translation...

God guard our good Empress
Long live our lordly (domain) Empress
God guard the Empress

Give her no defeat,
Blessed and heavenly.
Long coerce above our (us?)
God Guard the Empress

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #96 on: 18 Jun 2012, 10:45 »

Because I found myself in need of a generic greeting:

Ashaltiasten

Ashal - good, blessed, holy
tiast - time, moment
-en - plural suffix

Basically a broad "good morning/day/evening" that could either be an organic development or something that came out of post-unification Athran society where people were communicating across timezones, and which carried over into space as people were operating on completely different local clocks.

As I resent the shortening of this greeting to "Ashal" (it's just sloppy language ;P ), but acknowledge the fact that it gets quite repetitive if the proper response is Ashaltiasten as well, I put a little thought into that.

My suggestion is that the proper response would be something along the lines of "Ashalagram":

Ashal - truth, holiness, right, good
agram - endless, eternal (cf. herartagram - endless night)

So, the response would be an affirming "Good(ness) eternal!" What do you people think? Horatius?

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #97 on: 18 Jun 2012, 10:51 »

Sounds good.

I'd suggest that a more agreeable shortening would be Ash'ten or Ash'en, with Ash'ram or Ash'am as the reply.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: 18 Jun 2012, 11:38 »

The shortenings you suggest sound more agreeable to me, indeed! :)

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #99 on: 26 Jul 2012, 04:33 »

The good news is that my short story "The Soulless Pilgrim" made it into the latest edition of EON which words and sentences from Amarrad. Unfortunately there is no credit in it for Horatius Caul for creating it for which I am very sorry.

It includes the phrases Izok and "Lab em iekh dive dovedi em nay iedkhu ambeden". It also introduces the Sanctum of the high Sacellums, Holders of Amarrad.

I hope that I have done justice to the work done here.

I would like to submit a further work to EON in the style that was done once before, a selection of scriptures, but this time in Amarrad. Would anyone else be interested in creating a few four line verse ? I am thinking that if it was submitted it would be credited to eve-inpiracy itself.

Boffles

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #100 on: 26 Jul 2012, 05:55 »

Unfortunately there is no credit in it for Horatius Caul for creating it for which I am very sorry.
It's a community project. I wouldn't want to be credited with creating it anyway  :P

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #101 on: 26 Jul 2012, 15:23 »

Saint Caul the Wordsmith. Why not?  :lol:

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #102 on: 01 Dec 2012, 13:58 »

Just was wondering what had become of this? While I dont think anyone will ever (nor should they!) "speak" a language ICly, this was a damn cool project, I hope it hasnt died =(

If you ever need, drop me a mail or PM or whatever. I think I know someone who speaks Romani  ;)

Ava

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #103 on: 01 Dec 2012, 18:08 »

I've used Amarrad to name quite a few of my ships...and I've even brought it into the Minecraft server I play on.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #104 on: 04 Dec 2012, 03:44 »

I haven't updated anything since the start of the year, for various reasons.

However, I maintain that whether I update things or not shouldn't have any bearing on the life of this project. If people like it and use it they should mention it, if they think they can contribute they should.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9