Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That being a cruel slaver is actually a fitting description for Angel Cartel members as well?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Summit RP - does anyone actually care about IC discussions of PF anymore?  (Read 14367 times)

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl

What they need to do is fire TonyG, scrap all current narrative plans and build a new one from the ground up that makes a damn lick of sense.
Tony's not in charge of it, and that's not how it works  :psyccp:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

What they need to do is fire TonyG, scrap all current narrative plans and build a new one from the ground up that makes a damn lick of sense.
Tony's not in charge of it, and that's not how it works  :psyccp:

I love having Shae be the voice of reason amongst all the rampant CCP hate.

Desiderya

I love having Shae be the voice of reason amongst all the rampant CCP hate.

Yup. Things seldom work like the internet thinks they work.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette

Well, they need to whatever the fuck gets us a coherent, sensible narrative that isn't full of ass-pulls, Deus Ex Machinae and Space Hitlers.

Graanvlokkie

Right, this has been bothering me and a few others for quite a while now. The Summit these days feels nothing more than an IC version of the OOC channel. No one actually wants to debate anything about the PF, mundane cultural tropes, and so forth. ...

Why would anyone like to join a large chatroom IC (which is essentially what the summit is since there is no holo presence) in order to debate mundane cultural tropes?

[EDIT: By that I mean an IC reason. I know it may be fun OOC to discuss this, but I don't see an IC reason to].
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2011, 12:29 by Graanvlokkie »

Lyn Farel

I dont know ? When I speak with RL people of other countries or cultures, I happen quite often to be quite curious about several little things here and there.

What ? I am the only one to care ? Okay.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

Usually that kind of stuff is approached after a friendship has been formed.
You don't ask about cultural things from random strangers, they usually feel judged if something like that is approached as a subject.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Arkady Sadik

• Egger

The chat rooms (out of game) that I frequent all have a topic that connects the people on them. Like an OS you use, a programming language you use, or the city/location you're in. "The Summit" exists primarily for OOC reasons: "The place we can RP". This is good, as it brings people together who want to RP, but it does not provide an intrinsic topic to RP *about*.

And RL channels all deviate wildly on the topic (including jokes that the channel name is the one topic we never talk about), but it still provides some thing that connects everyone on the channel.

My character does not particularly feel connected to the other characters on The Summit. Quite to the contrary, for some, actually.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!

Look I know there arent many but some people need to stop complaining about how RP is dead and actually attempt to breathe some life into it.

For instance, use places other than summit.

Not habitually, just once or twice.

Just walk in and see what happens.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Hamish Grayson

and actually attempt to breathe some life into it.

I've got a few pokers in the fire.   Hopefully I can find the time to make one or two of the projects bare fruit.

Lyn Farel

Look I know there arent many but some people need to stop complaining about how RP is dead and actually attempt to breathe some life into it.

For instance, use places other than summit.

Not habitually, just once or twice.

Just walk in and see what happens.

Well that is what I do. Not 24/24 mind you. I see a few ones doing it too. But you end up turning in circles pretty quick when you are not many.

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist

I'd consider myself to be "on the frige" of RP in eve. With that in mind let me share my observations of what eve RP looks like to me from where I sit.

The Summit - I find it's main problem is being over-moderated, where slight insults against women, people with different views and more recently body-modders, get dealt with overly severely, very much limiting the undercurrent of tension that allows for a more smooth and engaging RP. In my opinion it limits the chances that people will take on serious discussions and or ships into space about insults when at the first sight of disagreement offending parties get muted/modded/excluded. The line here is not as fine as it is made out to be but seems like mods/people like to ride in as a white knight at the first sign of "trouble," demanding instant mod action instead of letting things develop more organically. (As is the case in many channels.)

ie,
Person A says something offensive/intolerant/uninformed about person X (or idea x or whatever) and gets into an argument with person b and c about that comment. While person X takes the insult and broods/retaliates. With person x's response now people d and e get involved, and suddenly there is a deeper conversation or argument going on. Mods only need step in when the fight becomes something silly like short statements of "you are a #$%^&" vs longer argumentative statements or discussions from varying view points. Additionally if persons involved take deep offense to that kind of talk; there could be escalation or even challenges to duels, something I think Capsuleers as a whole would be far more liable to do given their immortality/immorality, but we just don't see that often.

This at least would increase my enjoyment of the channel as of right now I refrain from saying anything into the channel for fear of hurting feelings even if my remarks are hardly mean or insulting.

Factional/"Other" RP venues - Like TLG, Mercy Keep, or any single aligned meeting place. Even if they are "open to the public" the overall vibe I get from these places is that not all are welcome. As a Anarchist it's even more difficult because just "innocently" showing up at one of these places seems unlikely, and because of this I find that I tend to RP with the same two to three people all the time instead of breaking into a wider or broader base of RP partners as it were. Now this might be my own hang up and I might be more welcome in more places than I suspect, but by-in-large I get the feeling that the corner of the universe I do RP in is pretty much as far as Logan can go due to his alignment.

The above make it difficult to for me to generate any real meaningful "new" RP into the community. Please tell me if I am doing it wrong with regards to places Logan could go to hang out but that is my honest take-away from most places. Obviously I otherwise frequent The Hideaway, TLG and other blackalley back door bar's meeting places that have uniformly low to light activity.

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios

Right, this has been bothering me and a few others for quite a while now. The Summit these days feels nothing more than an IC version of the OOC channel. No one actually wants to debate anything about the PF, mundane cultural tropes, and so forth.

Anyone who has interacted with me both IC and OOC knows full well that I have an interest in how all four factions interact with each other, and approach different matters. I wrote an entire piece about the Caldari Navy a while ago, and how a Caldari family goes shopping, despite being a Gallente RPer.

So, in the Summit, I seek to use Seriphyn to explore these mundane things with other characters. He might be abrasive, but if my OOC interest in the EVE fiction is anything to go by, he is also IC interested in his own off-hand fashion. The problem is, is that the vibe I get is that people are generally quite oversensitive, and always shout down Seriphyn for his abrasive nature etc etc. I mean, come across as a dick, it's not surprising, but the thing that stuck out to me today was when a character actually asked Seriphyn to be banned from the channel without breaking any rules, while the same character actually broke the rules by swearing and namecalling. This happens all the time; Seriphyn never swears at others or namecalls, yet other people do it all the time (And to each other).

From how I see things, I'm just using the channel as it is (the Summit, after all). But maybe I should just accept how it is these days. To give you an example of how it sometimes can be an RP'd version of OOC...

aaa > I just agreed to a 1v1
aaa > And the blob.
bbb > It was still 1v1.
bbb > 1blobv1notblob.

Character bbb in this instance, having asked them on the aside, actually mistook the Summit for the OOC channel. But yeah, point is, where did the PF debates go? Why is trying to stimulate an in-universe discussion not done anymore? I appreciate that Seriphyn comes across as jerky, but then that's rendered moot when other characters directly insult him with curse words and names, when he's never done any of the sort himself.

Putting my character on the aside completely, the problem still remains. Might be that whole "no new content from CCP" thing going on, but that's no excuse for players to not generate their own material through RP. That's what I'm trying to push for.

Of note on the general state of the Summit...someone said to me that the 11-year old Anette often outclasses a lot of the Summit inhabitants while still realistically acting like an 11-year old. Go figure.

I agree with this post.

When I came to the game back in January and began exploring RP, I stumbled into the Summit channel and from the name expected it to be a place of cultural, political and economic debate which is something that I as a player and my character Kemekk would be interested in. After spending a few months in the Summit, I realized that those types of discussions rarely come about, and it frustrates me.

I expected the Summit channel to be sort of like a Roman senate meeting, where people debate in a respectable manner. As far as I know, there is one other channel that operates like this but it is sparsely populated.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Yes. It's called NEA.

And it's never active for a reason. A shame, too.

However, as with a ton of posts in this thread, the problem with The Summit seems to be that it wasn't what you expected. I should probably remove mentions of politics, debate and the like from the MOTD.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

what i've seen, is that whenever someone starts up a discussion about certain things, which a lot of the time are the defining characteristic of their chosen group, then the same handful of people begin to act disruptively, to force an end to that discussion, for reasons that they admit in OOC channel to be OOC-motivated.

\o/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7