Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers frequently communicate by means of dataprojectors? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Summit RP - does anyone actually care about IC discussions of PF anymore?  (Read 14345 times)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain

Maybe its just personal bias when a majority of rp'ers act like 0.0 is unimportant ...

Uh, is 0.0 important? Mostly nothing that happens out there affects my character except as it drives different entities to retreat to lowsec from time to time where they shoot at us and vice versa.

Why should my character care?

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Lyn Farel

Unimportant is a bit strong and exagerated, but it surely does not affect a lot of us. And that is clearly a secondary thing compared to PF and NPC factions related stuff, for most RPers.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.

“The Summit” was my first experience in Eve RP.   :eek:

I don’t frequent the channel anymore as one of its moderators and I are on the outs. 

That being said, not having “The Summit” to rely on for my “IC Fix” of Eve RP, pushed me into other more rewarding RP environments and improved my overall RP experience. 

After all there are only so many rapes, murders, suicides, and drunken ramblings one can survive. 

But still to be honest on occasion there is good RP in The Summit, I have seen it. 

It’s just too bad other stuff gets in the way.

Desiderya

And I miss having a go at "Nice uncle James" with Des.  :|

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

I don’t frequent the channel anymore as one of its moderators and I are on the outs. 

That's a terrible reason to cut off an avenue of RP.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew

As far as political forums, they're a worthy idea, but there is little room for them in-game. Get enough RPers together, there's going to be an argument about whose faction is better than whose. The only way to prevent that downfall is to use moderators or spokespeople, and that gets too complicated. As soon as things are complicated enough to take organizational effort, the players shirk and stop using the channel.

Exactly.

But why wouldn't enemies argue about stuff rather than enjoying a brandy and a cigar together whilst discussing the weather?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

As far as political forums, they're a worthy idea, but there is little room for them in-game. Get enough RPers together, there's going to be an argument about whose faction is better than whose. The only way to prevent that downfall is to use moderators or spokespeople, and that gets too complicated. As soon as things are complicated enough to take organizational effort, the players shirk and stop using the channel.

Exactly.

But why wouldn't enemies argue about stuff rather than enjoying a brandy and a cigar together whilst discussing the weather?

That's sort of the point, actually.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Exactly.

I think the assumption is that, if you get enough people together, it'll degenerate into a standard, been-done-since-2003, "no u" style arguement - i.e., people useing lots of red herrings, random insults, and long-since-recycled arguements, rather than an honest discussion about the realistic "good" and "bad" points of a give faction.

EDIT: To clarify the above, it's not that I feel such arguements are bad. Rather, it's that nobody's invented a new arguement in ages - most of the arguements I see barely touch on some of the most recent PF, preferring instead to go with the old "...well you bombed our planets with chemical weapons!" "But you enslaved us first!" etc etc. over and over again.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2012, 11:01 by Esna Pitoojee »
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave

The thing is a lot of the old arguments have never been resolved. Factions still at war, Sansha's Nation still enslaving the galaxy, Amarrians still wanting to enslave the entire galaxy, does God exist, does God agree with the Amarrians, are all Gallente just drug abusing sexual deviants and have the Civire really regressed backwards to looking more like apes?

The point is, people's characters are built around these things, they aren't going to change their opinion or belief system because "That's old, find something new to believe passionately in." Yes the arguments go around in full circle, but every so often something new comes out of it.

And yes while you've "been there, done that 1,001 times" newer players and characters haven't. It's hardly right to dictate what should and shouldn't be debated on the basis of how many times you've seen it happen. If you want a new subject, bring it up yourself to get people interested in it. It doesn't help that the Summit seems to be the only stable constant source of public RP either, I can't honestly think of any other channel that is open to all of New Eden where someone can enter and get involved in IC interaction with the exception of diplomatic channels relating to specific corps and alliances.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.

Be that as it may and your “opinion” is appreciated.   But the frequent threats of preemptive muting that stem from that sour relationship tend to be off putting.   

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave

Be that as it may and your “opinion” is appreciated.   But the frequent threats of preemptive muting that stem from that sour relationship tend to be off putting.

I believe the best case would be to PM Graelyn evidence of such.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

On the fucking double.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.

On the fucking double.

Well to be honest I did ask for your advice and assistance just after the initial occurrence via eve mail.  As I didn’t get a reply I didn’t bother, several months later when it occurred again.   

The purpose of my original post wasn’t to pass judgment.  Simply to answer the question asked, yes the Summit can be an avenue for RP and occasionally a good one, but there are certainly many others.   

While I consider the matter closed, ergo I no longer visit “The Summit” I would be happy to discuss it in game.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]