Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the war between Electus Matari and PIE Inc started when -EM- pilots destroyed a slaver vessel in The Bleak Lands?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Did everything die or something?  (Read 23894 times)

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
Re: Did everything die or something?
« Reply #60 on: 15 Sep 2011, 08:10 »

Well, I am an Eve RP newb.  There are a lot of barriers.  I started RP-ing because I joined KotMC, which has a number of veteran RP-ers.  My previous RP experience was limited to a few DnD runs back in the day.  However, I had read a lot of PF and the novel, which is a good read, but not the best RP basis. 

The first issue was the process of learning the basic flow.  I watched Mercy's Keep and interacted timidly.  I started a blog to flesh out Ryven's backstory.  I cannot overstate the usefulness of that.  Ryven has grown into a complex person and he is very real to me, so much now that I am still surprised by his reactions to things.  He is still relatively unknown, but as more people enter his world, he continues to have enjoyable encounters.

I have IRL barriers in the form of time.  I work 30hr/week and 18 hr classload at college, plus a wife.  RP can be time consuming.  If a pvp fleet forms up, I choose that usually. 

Some additional thoughts: Ryven is not currently the sort of guy who likes limelight.  He has demons he has finally settled and I suspect he will be more public in the near future.  So, his IGS interaction has been limited, but I feel generally well recieved, when any bothered to respond to it. 

That brings me to the last item: respond to the lesser known entities in a thread.  It is easy to engage with the powerhouse characters, but it is unspoken encouragement when you acknowledge them, even if you aren't nice, IC.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #61 on: 15 Sep 2011, 09:36 »

That brings me to the last item: respond to the lesser known entities in a thread.

This is an excellent advice, thank you.

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
« Reply #62 on: 15 Sep 2011, 09:45 »

That is kinda funny because you took my advice while saying it was good advice. 

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #63 on: 15 Sep 2011, 09:55 »

That is kinda funny because you took my advice while saying it was good advice.

Deliberately, too :-)

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #64 on: 15 Sep 2011, 10:02 »

Since I don't know most of you, or you're on alts now that I don't recognize, interacting with most of you is a new experience for me. Generally, my characters respond well to individuals that can carry a conversation, not whether they are vets or newbies. Tiberious Thesselonia is one individual that has always been able to do that, regardless of the character that I'm playing as, which is why I enjoy his company. What tends to happen often is people will try to engage someone and you have an audience, or peanut gallery, that toss in one liners and don't really push any further into the discussion. I do it too sometimes when I'm busy with something else.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't let the art of conversation be a lost one. >.>

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #65 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:37 »

I wonder how much RP time goes to the Arek'jaalan project? At one point 30% of the IGS posts on the first page were related to AJ. I can't help thinking that all the energy that goes into it is taken away from other kinds of RP. In the worst case scenario some people who initially joined the project might have got frustrated with the difficulty of making a difference and with the lack of good motivations for character interactions.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #66 on: 16 Sep 2011, 04:41 »

Not much RP goes into AJ as far as I know.

Perfectly fine with me, as I do not participate primarily for social interaction but because I like to solve puzzle games.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #67 on: 16 Sep 2011, 08:09 »

Ryven has grown into a complex person and he is very real to me, so much now that I am still surprised by his reactions to things.
*Bolded for emphasis*

This isn't the first time I've heard such but it's something completely foriegn to me.  I've never been surprised by any of my own characters actions, reactions, or thoughts.  I've had them do things that I'd rather not have them do because the other half of the RP (the other player's character) didn't do as I had expected, but that's really being surprised by someone else's character and not my own.

Maybe it's more of being suprised that the other character could convince yours to do something that you didn't think they would? 

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #68 on: 16 Sep 2011, 08:58 »

Maybe it's more of being suprised that the other character could convince yours to do something that you didn't think they would?

It's not about someone else being able to convince your character. It can happen based on any situation or experience.

Basically, it's the sudden realization that a number of experiences your character has had caused her to do something that you would have found strangely "out of character" for her a few weeks ago, but now, with all that background, it just makes sense for the character to do.

That is, it's a situation where your character changes not because you thought that change would be cool now, but because the situation just makes it "logical" for this change to happen.

It's a bit difficult to describe. But it's awesome when it happens. :-D

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #69 on: 16 Sep 2011, 09:53 »

I've had a few moments like that, actually.

Malcolm is a brilliant example.

Malcolm's player: "Yar! Goin' ta be piratin' the cold, black sea!"

What happened was that the people Malcolm ended up interacting with, took a sincere interest in getting to know him and through careful RP, gentle guidance and really well constructed arguments, Malcolm was eventually committed to "cleaning up" and reforming himself into the man he currently is. He still has lapses, particularly when he's angry or frustrated, but overall he's a very different character than I originally anticipated him being.

I sometimes find myself a little surprised when I respond to something and then read over it and immediately think, "Meh...I never would have expected Malcolm to think like that."

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #70 on: 16 Sep 2011, 10:31 »

Compared with my more thoughtful (and, as a result, predictable) characters, Stecker surprises me on a regular basis. She's hardly the character I oringinally created her to be. Who she chooses to be nice to seems to vary day by day, to say nothing of the ways that she's been influenced by her friends (and enemies) over the last year.

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #71 on: 16 Sep 2011, 16:09 »

Basically, it's the sudden realization that a number of experiences your character has had caused her to do something that you would have found strangely "out of character" for her a few weeks ago, but now, with all that background, it just makes sense for the character to do.

That is, it's a situation where your character changes not because you thought that change would be cool now, but because the situation just makes it "logical" for this change to happen.

It's a bit difficult to describe. But it's awesome when it happens. :-D

Well I've had that, yes, but it didn't "surprise" me because I (obviously) knew about everything that had happened to my character, so I guess I was just misunderstanding what people meant.  It's not so much a surprise "in the moment" as it is "surprising" that the character ended up doing X since when the character was created you thought that he/she was going to be doing "Y."

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #72 on: 16 Sep 2011, 17:41 »

I have not been able to immerse myself for probably two years now.  I still like to be social but I stay 'in character' only as a courtesy.   The Ishukone/AJ thing could have been brilliant, but I really couldn't muster the energy to lead something.   

Van Cleef has been asking me to run an event for CAIN but I just can't get excited about it.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #73 on: 16 Sep 2011, 18:40 »

I have not been able to immerse myself for probably two years now.  I still like to be social but I stay 'in character' only as a courtesy.   The Ishukone/AJ thing could have been brilliant, but I really couldn't muster the energy to lead something.   

Van Cleef has been asking me to run an event for CAIN but I just can't get excited about it.

CVA sucking the life out of you?  ;)

I tease, I tease.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #74 on: 17 Sep 2011, 00:25 »

Well I've had that, yes, but it didn't "surprise" me because I (obviously) knew about everything that had happened to my character, so I guess I was just misunderstanding what people meant.  It's not so much a surprise "in the moment" as it is "surprising" that the character ended up doing X since when the character was created you thought that he/she was going to be doing "Y."

It depends. I'd say it can be either. Sometimes you find yourself hurtling down a narrative for just one more line and one more line... and end up somewhere you never expected to be.

By the sound of it, YMMV. :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14