Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raiders are part of an ancient cultist faction called Sani Sabik, which first appeared on Amarr Prime thousands of years ago? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Did everything die or something?  (Read 23774 times)

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
Re: Did everything die or something?
« Reply #195 on: 27 Sep 2011, 11:26 »

The public RP attempts I have seen recently were mostly by a blood raider trying to get support for some kind of (not game-supported) project, and it took a lot of goodwill for my character to even reply to a bloodraider. Noticing that that just made the discussion more and more weird, I quickly ceased.

blood raiders D:

Was this in the summit ?

Public - EM.

It's a bit weird. I was very happy to see an RP attempt in that channel - it's usually very quiet, and if not, it's either an actual diplomatic contact or some pirates trying to troll us. But I felt it very difficult to interact with that storyline - the idea was quite nice, but as it was presented by a clearly not mentally stable blood raider, it's not very sensible to try and help said blood raider...

I tried a few times to hang out in The Summit (years ago), but unmoderated, public channels are not really my favorite hang-out.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #196 on: 27 Sep 2011, 13:37 »

And well, the summit is 95% of the time "cantina RP", for which I dont really care much.

Pet peeve time! I have never understood why RPers in a sci-fi game insist on turning every channel into a physical place. :-) It's logical in a fantasy game, but a sci-fi game allows you to treat chat channels as ... er ... chat channels, which pretty much removes all sorts of confusion ("why isn't he actually in the station where this bar is", "why is he not reacting when I jump up and down in front of him - oh, he's afk", etc.).

I did not mean that, actually the summit is a regular virtual communication channel, not a physical place. I meant by "cantina RP" things like "Hullo have you seen my kitties ? They are sooooo cuuuuuuute !", and when its not this, its dramallama RP "ebil slavers vs emo minmatars". Apparently work for a lot of people, but not really my thing.

The New Eden Assembly arrived and kinda took its place as a place to talk politics rather than socialize and ride dramallamas. However, there hasn't been a lot going on lately to talk about in there. I'm not sure who even runs it anymore to put together an event or discussion on a subject.

Aria Jenneth if I remember correctly.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #197 on: 27 Sep 2011, 13:51 »

The difficulty with non-physical chat channels like the Summit is that there's no reason to be there other than bullshit.

Uh, yeah, I think I figured that out about 2 weeks after I started reading it. Non-physical channels need some sort of community of interest to hold people there and give them things to talk about - The problem with that is that I'm not sure how well people of antagonistic factions would co-exist well in a meaningful channel.

At least with a physical location like a bar, people have a two-fold purpose: to unwind and chat/mingle with other people. In the Summit, people join to yawn and complain about how quiet it is, find new fuck-buddies, and/or pick a fight.

I guess it depends what you go to a bar for. In my RL experience most people don't hang out in bars with people they don't like, unless the music is wound up enough that they can't talk to each other, in which case they're trying to "find new fuck-buddies, and/or pick a fight."  Really, I don't know anyone that goes to a bar to meet new people; they're usually going with their current friends and acquaintances, which means they start with things in common to talk about. But then, I'm aware that other people may have different bar experiences from me.

The Summit is supposed to be the first place characters go when they are new to RP, and most of you HATE the channel; That doesn't exactly send a good signal, does it?

Well, no, but then I have never recommended a new Eve roleplayer join the summit...

Some of you are wondering why outlaws factions are so prevalent in places like the Summit, and active on the IGS, it's cause they don't have faction warfare to keep them busy- they still have to be creative to represent themselves and stir conflict.

That's quite a perceptive comment, and it feels correct to me. Thank you - I'm going to think on that a bit.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #198 on: 27 Sep 2011, 14:35 »

I did not mean that, actually the summit is a regular virtual communication channel, not a physical place. I meant by "cantina RP" things like "Hullo have you seen my kitties ? They are sooooo cuuuuuuute !", and when its not this, its dramallama RP "ebil slavers vs emo minmatars". Apparently work for a lot of people, but not really my thing.

Ah, sorry.

Out of curiosity, what kind of RP would you expect from interacting with other RPers in a public channel? (Genuine interest :-))

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #199 on: 27 Sep 2011, 20:53 »

The difficulty with non-physical chat channels like the Summit is that there's no reason to be there other than bullshit.

Uh, yeah, I think I figured that out about 2 weeks after I started reading it. Non-physical channels need some sort of community of interest to hold people there and give them things to talk about - The problem with that is that I'm not sure how well people of antagonistic factions would co-exist well in a meaningful channel.
I think a lot of that comes down to the perspective of players and characters. I think it is conceivable that an individual can perceive his foe (ie other pilots) as rivals rather than 'blood' enemies, and I think given the fact that it is extremely difficult to actually kill your foes (permanently), this is a very pragmatic position to take. We see this happen often in 0.0 where one day a powerful opponent one day becomes an ally. In fact, I'd say that 'blood rivalry' predominantly exists in the RP world, where most characters are hard-line ideologues bent on the submission of other cultures.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #200 on: 28 Sep 2011, 00:46 »

We see this happen often in 0.0 where one day a powerful opponent one day becomes an ally. In fact, I'd say that 'blood rivalry' predominantly exists in the RP world, where most characters are hard-line ideologues bent on the submission of other cultures.

0.0 conflicts rarely are about killing your crewmembers to take their blood, enslaving your whole race, or turning you and your people into mindless robots Quite to the contrary - for most 0.0 pilots, this is just a game.

For my character, this is not a game, so I do not feel that those two are very comparable.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #201 on: 28 Sep 2011, 00:54 »

We see this happen often in 0.0 where one day a powerful opponent one day becomes an ally. In fact, I'd say that 'blood rivalry' predominantly exists in the RP world, where most characters are hard-line ideologues bent on the submission of other cultures.

0.0 conflicts rarely are about killing your crewmembers to take their blood, enslaving your whole race, or turning you and your people into mindless robots Quite to the contrary - for most 0.0 pilots, this is just a game.

For my character, this is not a game, so I do not feel that those two are very comparable.

No, I'd say most people in 0.0 are out for power, glory, wealth, and conquest. You know, the empire building stuff that is supposed to be the endgame scenario only a select population of eve participates in ^^

Lyn Farel

« Reply #202 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:49 »

Ah, sorry.

Out of curiosity, what kind of RP would you expect from interacting with other RPers in a public channel? (Genuine interest :-))

Dunno, geopolitics, politics, strategy, technology, sciencey stuff, lore history, lore, the universe, or the stuff seri likes to do by developping our little corners of the universe and describing the life here and there (with coherence to the lore ofc). Whatever really. But I am not really roleplaying to reproduce the usual life that people are having IRL, I find that dull (but this is just my opinion). I am here to play in a living in a certain universe, and more importantly, in a strong eve atmosphere.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #203 on: 28 Sep 2011, 06:10 »

Very good points Kaleigh, rather exceptional I think.

I might think up of my own "Anette events" in lieu of Revan's. Come up with some inventive locales based on what we know. If people can stand a precocious eleven-year old :>
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]