Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lai Dai megacorporation has far ranging interests, is one of the foremost research companies in the cluster, and has strong links to the Khanid Kingdom?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons  (Read 11079 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons
« Reply #45 on: 22 Jun 2013, 10:39 »

I-RED: Not as hated as TS-F.

When Makkal joined RDC, many people expressed approval of her choice (or confusion about a Khanid joining a Caldari corp) but no one badmouthed I-RED. Few people have felt the need to attack Ishukone or IRED when speaking with her, but that's probably 1) Makkal is a foreign worker, and 2) if Kat is around she's always the target of choice.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 10:43 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #46 on: 22 Jun 2013, 12:20 »

I don't personally see a long term dislike of I-RED, either.

Shin, of course, is negatively disposed towards them, but that's mainly because she's ex-O-SYN (who were screwed by Ishukone) and I-RED are pro-Ishukone. :D

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #47 on: 22 Jun 2013, 12:30 »

Without as much frothing rage and ranting, let me explain a bit more:

OOC, many people enjoy I-RED and seem to respect us as a group. IC, it's a pretty different story. Granted, as someone who's been handling diplomacy for us for the past year, I've seen more of the failures (and successes) behind closed doors than most of the line pilots and outsiders have... but I stand by what I said.

I'm not saying EVERYBODY IN EVE HATES US. I'm not even saying every player group dislikes us IC. I'm saying that every major faction and subfaction we've dealt with has at least one major and influential group that seriously dislike us. From a diplomatic standpoint, that causes issues when the big boy on the block says no to I-RED. Smaller ones tend to follow suit.

Gallente: Villore Accords
Minmatar: Electus Matari
Amarr: CVA
Caldari: various Patriot corporations that seems to be birthing and dying at a fast rate
Pirates: uhm.. all of them?

Granted, the subfactions like Khanid and Ammatar we haven't really dealt with directly. I should admit that I was wrong to include them. You have to understand that we have a history of working against/for the interests of every major faction at least one point in time, and this is still reflected in today's diplomatic mess.

What Silas said still holds true today. You pay for who you associate with in the end. If you associate with everyone, you lose support from everyone. Pick a side and stick to it, is my advice.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 12:36 by Katrina Oniseki »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #48 on: 22 Jun 2013, 13:41 »

What Silas said still holds true today. You pay for who you associate with in the end. If you associate with everyone, you lose support from everyone. Pick a side and stick to it, is my advice.

I'm not sure I'd say 'pick a side' but I might go with 'pick a consistent viewpoint and be clear about it.'

You don't have to operate within the lines the majority of people fall into. It's okay to carve out your own little space but people need to know exactly what it is. 
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #49 on: 23 Jun 2013, 01:22 »

For CVA, you did screw it up yourselves no ? Anyway, that was an interesting conflict.

I mean, my character probably has enemies in all factions as well. Probably the same for a lot of characters.

Anyway, my character rather likes I-RED.

Vikarion

« Reply #50 on: 24 Jun 2013, 01:59 »

Well, the problem a lot of Caldari - and others - have with I-RED is that it largely seems like you've made sure to stick a knife in everyone's back. Yes, you've been fair to everyone, perhaps, but they're still not going to be happy. For the Caldari in particular, shooting STPRO members while bluing Gallente militia corps is something that's going to take a LONG time to live down, even if you've changed policy since.

As for my character, and me, I like grudges. I like making people furious OOC and IC with me (perhaps a bit too much, at times) and then using that anger to make them look bad, or to motivate them into thinking the wrong thing or doing something stupid. In fairness, I also like making some people happy or well off. I suppose I'm simply trying to avoid emotional boredom with the game.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:10 »

Well, the problem a lot of Caldari - and others - have with I-RED is that it largely seems like you've made sure to stick a knife in everyone's back. Yes, you've been fair to everyone, perhaps, but they're still not going to be happy. For the Caldari in particular, shooting STPRO members while bluing Gallente militia corps is something that's going to take a LONG time to live down, even if you've changed policy since.

I'm well aware of what caused the current trend, but thank you for taking the time to post!
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 02:16 by Katrina Oniseki »

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #52 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:21 »

There's still some meat on dem bones.  Keep whipping!

Long story short, RP meta, to me, is as valid an attack as a war declaration or posturing structure bash; transients, tourists and general onlookers will judge your words, but the real value is in how you back them up. 

I haven't experienced much of the oft mentioned 'TS-F hatred', though a lot of Sol's rp happens through the barrel of a star ship turret (with occasional barbs thrown at IGS).  With the I-RED stuff, Gallente-gate (Fw-gate?  Standings-gate?) will probably live in Sol's memory as long as she does.  The main issue is she's unlikely to bring it up in conversation due to aforementioned - talk to comrades, shoot everything else - modus operandi. 

Ael is pretty friendly to I-RED due to good encounters diplomatically, the fact its members looked past her Intaki heritage and prior Federation citizenship pretty easily, and the Patriot-Liberal differences place Practicals nicely in the 'competitor of my competitor is not to be trusted but can come around for tea' territory that feeds good rp.  It is a shame I haven't had more chance to interact with all the various Caldari sub-factions (outside Dragonaurs because - immigrant citizen and racism don't mix well). 

At the end of the day, IMO, if you're getting a strong positive or negative reactions, and your members aren't leaving in droves, you're doing something right.  The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:30 »

At the end of the day, IMO, if you're getting a strong positive or negative reactions, and your members aren't leaving in droves, you're doing something right.  The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

This! While it can often frustrate me personally as a diplomat and diplomacy roleplayer to continue being hampered by things I was never around for (and probably could have prevented if I was diplo back then), I think we as an alliance carve out a pretty nice niche for ourselves. Especially since we're doing well OOC where we are, and seem to have some really good stuff going on.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #54 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:38 »

It's kind of funny reading this stuff about I-RED, as (with zero OOC justification, and she's yet to tell me her IC justification) Reppy tends to dismiss I-RED as being vaguely fluffy and ignorable.  Some nice people there, but really, not that important.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:50 »

It's kind of funny reading this stuff about I-RED, as (with zero OOC justification, and she's yet to tell me her IC justification) Reppy tends to dismiss I-RED as being vaguely fluffy and ignorable.  Some nice people there, but really, not that important.

:cube:

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #56 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:54 »

This.

Who wants to dedicate serious energy to disliking I-RED, really?

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #57 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:55 »

This.

Who wants to dedicate serious energy to disliking I-RED, really?

Too busy devoting all available hate towards TS-F and Nation. :P

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #58 on: 24 Jun 2013, 04:09 »

EVE being EVE, manipulating OOC and IC is easy enough.

It will be all your own fault if someone screws you over for being gullible.

It is not paranoia if they are coming to get you.

Did a small foray into Minmatar roleplay with a disposable alt, didn't take that long to be friends with people that hate Lallaras guts. Just having small mix of helplessness, eagerness and amiability works wonders.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 04:11 by lallara zhuul »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #59 on: 24 Jun 2013, 04:14 »

Did a small foray into Minmatar roleplay with a disposable alt, didn't take that long to be friends with people that hate Lallaras guts. Just having small mix of helplessness, eagerness and amiability works wonders.

Always a fun game.  Never put much effort into doing anything like that, but it was amusing on the occasions I've done it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8