Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons  (Read 11006 times)

Anslol

Re: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons
« Reply #30 on: 20 Jun 2013, 09:26 »

What is what?

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 20 Jun 2013, 12:07 »

What is what?

Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.

Anslol

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jun 2013, 12:11 »

What is what?

Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.

Get out.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 20 Jun 2013, 12:12 »

I am not sure that Merdaneth was complaing about popularity being unfair. I think his point was only that players tend to be a lot more forgetful and easy with characters belonging to players they like OOC.

OOC popularity is simply something you'll have to consider when you plan your character's career.

If you piss off a CEO in OOC chat, and then proceed to apply for said corp a month later, be prepared to be rejected even though characters with a much more checkered past than your own are accepted. OOC trumps IC.

If you switch from Amarr loyalists, to pirate, to Republic loyalist, to Sansha loyalist, to Blood loyalist and then apply for your original Amarr loyalist corp again, and you were/are well liked by the members, then you'll get a token 'repentance' assignment and are quickly accepted back into the ranks again. OOC trumps IC.

IC considerations are important of course, but IC defections, betrayals and similar stuff are easily forgiven, while OOC defections and betrayals are not.

If you make few OOC friends, and many OOC enemies, better be prepared that any sudden changes in your IC playstyle will not be forgiven easily and any attempts at retcons will be hindered by people coming out of the woodwork pointing them out. Your character may suddenly feel 'locked' into a certain playstyle if you lack sufficient OOC support.

My only issue tends to be that many players justify such things by saying 'hey, I'm just playing my character'. In my opinion, just because the reasoning is IC, doesn't mean the motivation is.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2013, 13:11 »

Completely.

Most people tend to consider that friendship takes precedence over principles, be it ingame or IRL in general. People will come to the defense of a friend being wrong even if they know it, or just don't want to hear about it. People are mostly subjective, not objective. That's how people work.

It is the same with OOC friendships in any RP community. OOC friendships take precedence over IC reasonings and principles. I personally think it is rather unfortunate since I happen to think completely differently, either IRL or in Eve, but at the very least, it's not such a big deal since it reflects on how it is IRL so it feels more or less realistic... Though less when OOC reasons start to bleed over IC ones, but well.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #35 on: 20 Jun 2013, 13:52 »

There was a time when who you 'hung out with'  IC did have ramifications... wardecs, and consequences.

I see much much less of that these days. 

Hugglefest politics gives you +10 forgiveness armor for all IC actions in modern EVE.

I must confess that there are times when the fact that Reppy's past Cartel associations (even if she never shot anyone) never being brought up or posing any kind of problem for anyone slightly... weird, for want of a better term.  Mind you, there are a bunch of people who don't like her, but they don't have to deal with her, so... yeah.

I personally have never given people a free ride based on OOC stuff.  Vince and I have had some spectacular IC shit go down (which had to be negotiated OOC eventually because it got so brutal), but we still got on well afterwards.  Reppy's never going to let Aldy near her again after his self-immolation craziness.  Anyone associated with the Toasters in any way gets a personal Exterminate On Sight (if possible) order.  She's a complete ass to Tibby every opportunity she gets in Summit, even though he's awesome.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jun 2013, 14:03 »

Sami gives people a lot of shit for who they hang out with. OOC/IC friendships be damned. Even Pieter's taken flack from her.

Anslol

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jun 2013, 14:27 »

Sami gives people a lot of shit for who they hang out with. OOC/IC friendships be damned. Even Pieter's taken flack from her.
Shit, even Anslo's a little scared of Sami given the stories >_>

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 21 Jun 2013, 16:47 »

There was a time when who you 'hung out with'  IC did have ramifications... wardecs, and consequences.

Hugglefest politics gives you +10 forgiveness armor for all IC actions in modern EVE.

This is mostly because the corps that were involved in many of those wardecs got busy with FW from what I can tell.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #39 on: 21 Jun 2013, 19:34 »

It's still here.

I-RED is disliked or regarded at neutrally (best case scenario) by literally every major faction and subfaction in current EVE-RP politics. I literally cannot name a single entity that doesn't have some shit to say about us, excepting Ishukone ofc. No matter how hard any of us try to heal the rift between us and another faction (and believe me, I'd made it my goal to), or how hard we attempt to take part in RP politics with a gentle hand, we still get shit on regularly. Even when we're trying to do something good.

Caldari (especially these guys), Gallente, Minmatar, Amarr, Pirates, Humanitarians. None of them like us.

Sometimes, it doesn't matter what you do... you're going to be the Black Sheep. You won't be liked. But then, that's the nature of EVE. There are no friendly faces.

Maybe it's because we as a long term alliance have tried to find a friendly faction in so many places, that all of them point to the last time we hung out with their enemies. Try to be nice to the Amarr, Minmatar hate us. Try to be nice to Minmatar, Amarr hate us. Same with Caldari, and Gallente.

Even more amusing is that for the longest time we were some of the only Caldari saying anything about Heth, doing anything about Heth, and then when it's suddenly popular to go against Heth... we're told we weren't there for any of it, and that we just hid in syndicate the whole time. What the fuck?

Meh. EVE politics are baloney.

EDIT: Struck out some of the blind rage and inaccuracies caused by it.  Viewpoint explained in a bit more detail here.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013, 12:33 by Katrina Oniseki »

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jun 2013, 19:50 »

Never forgive, never forget.  :twisted:

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #41 on: 22 Jun 2013, 00:39 »

And she's ruthless about pushing the issue when events prove her right.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:24 »

Well, to be fair, I have been adhering to it pretty hardcore.

I also virtually never have anyone to RP with as a result.

One does lead to the other, all.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 22 Jun 2013, 06:44 »

In my experience it really depends on what you're retconning and why, and how you played your character during the time you're looking to retcon.  If you were in the Amarr militia splashing all over the IGS about how Minmatar are subhuman, expect Minmatar characters to hold a grudge; but if you were in the Amarr militia because you rolled an Amarr character and decided once you got into RP that the faction wasn't for you, Minmatar players/characters are more likely to accept your 'road to Damascus' conversion. I got into a Sansha aligned corp as a two-week old character and player, and never had anyone be a dick about not accepting my 'youthful mistake' explanation; I suspect things might have been different if I'd been publicly RPing about sticking TCMCs into POWS.

Holding IC grudges for OOC reasons does happen, but often players assume that's the reason for the holding of a grudge without looking at the differences between how their character behaved and how other, "forgiven" characters behaved.

The closer our characters are to ourselves, the harder it is to see how their behavior might be perceived by others - and the more likely we are to see a held grudge as 'unfair' and OOC.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Evi Polevhia

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jun 2013, 10:33 »

I-RED is disliked or regarded at neutrally (best case scenario) by literally every major faction and subfaction in current EVE-RP politics.

Do tell?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8