Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons  (Read 11008 times)

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
Re: Grudges, forgiveness, and retcons
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2013, 18:03 »

:cube: Aldrith  :cube:

Now come to Khanid...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2013, 08:38 »

:cube: Aldrith  :cube:

Now come to Khanid...

+1

Join. Us.

We have cake!

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:30 »

The art is in the justification... which falls upon Player A.

I'm frequently a Player B because Halete is an unrefined bitch and will use anything she can get her claws on - and why shouldn't she, it's the character. I hate metagaming and retconning with a great passion.

However I'm also often in the position of playing Halete defending herself against criticisms about the type of company she has enjoyed in the past. I don't feel particularly threatened by this and just deal with it because choices in life have consequences. The same is true for fictional life and in EVE.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:10 »

There was a time when who you 'hung out with'  IC did have ramifications... wardecs, and consequences.

I see much much less of that these days. 

Hugglefest politics gives you +10 forgiveness armor for all IC actions in modern EVE.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:11 »

There was a time when who you 'hung out with'  IC did have ramifications... wardecs, and consequences.

Hugglefest politics gives you +10 forgiveness armor for all IC actions in modern EVE.

I'm working on this  :twisted:
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:57 »

If people bring up stuff from my past that I don't want them to bring up, I generally just ignore them until they stop bringing it up.

This solution has literally never not worked for me.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2013, 11:49 »

I'm told that I get kind of a free ride through Eve because my character is a popular one, but I really don't try to weasel out of consequences for his actions because of it -  that's actually anathema to the character concept inherently.

As Makkal said, I really enjoy interacting with people. I suppose that's why I tried to make a character who would be able to interact with largest number of people in a way that goes deeper than rhetoric and arguments.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2013, 15:16 »

If people bring up stuff from my past that I don't want them to bring up, I generally just ignore them until they stop bringing it up.

This solution has literally never not worked for me.
SO HOW ABOUT THEM BLOOD RAIDERS, EH?

...We need a trollface emoticon.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2013, 15:40 »

SO HOW ABOUT THEM BLOOD RAIDERS, EH?

...We need a trollface emoticon.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2013, 16:44 »

Some small part of me feels guilty whenever I read this complaint.

I'm told that I get kind of a free ride through Eve because my character is a popular one...

I've been told the same. Usually by people who don't RP with Makkal.

...but I really don't try to weasel out of consequences for his actions because of it...

Makkal now spends 90% of her time in Syndicate (NPC null) tackling the occasional pirate or Goon.  This makes her distant and irrelevant for most PCs.  :s
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2013, 18:15 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2013, 20:06 »

Here's the thing: There isn't something wrong with someone being 'popular' - which is a way of saying 'well liked' but with vaguely negative connotations.

People look at other players who are better liked, or whose characters are better liked, and perceive an unfair situation. Maybe it is unfair, but the solution isn't to complain that people like someone else better than you. Whether that's true or not, and whether it is fair or not, complaining about it probably isn't going to help things.  It isn't those character's jobs to be less well liked, and it isn't really everyone else's job to like you more. Plus, chances are there everyone is unpopular with someone - but there are really a fairly high number of RPers these days. You'll probably find a crowd where you'll fit in.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2013, 05:59 »

I am not sure that Merdaneth was complaing about popularity being unfair. I think his point was only that players tend to be a lot more forgetful and easy with characters belonging to players they like OOC.

That's more something endemic to OOC/IC social relations in RP.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jun 2013, 07:01 »

I'm told that I get kind of a free ride through Eve because my character is a popular one...

I've been told the same. Usually by people who don't RP with Makkal.

...but I really don't try to weasel out of consequences for his actions because of it...

Makkal now spends 90% of her time in Syndicate (NPC null) tackling the occasional pirate or Goon.  This makes her distant and irrelevant for most PCs.  :s

In space, perhaps.

But I guarantee that there are plenty of people for whom neither Makkal nor Pieter are anything resembling "irrelevant", purely because of non-space RP.

Grudges and the like are a natural part of human behavior and learning - we often remember a lesson learned through a sour experience better than one learned through a pleasant one. Most people don't intentionally put their hand down on a hot stove after the first time they try it. If you've had a bad experience with someone, you're not going to forget it quickly - but you might be inclined to pass over it as an isolated incident if you've had a number of good experiences with that person.

Having grudges and acting on them are two different things, of course. While I would find someone who doesn't act on them to be somewhat normal, someone who never held any grudges in the first place would seem a bit weird to me unless there were a good reason for it.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jun 2013, 07:06 »

I simply give 0 fucks, which translates into Anslo giving 0 fucks.
*in a big crowd of people*
"So did you guy's know Anslo did [insert not-so-nice action here." (while Anslo is present)
"Yep, I did. Deal with it."

People can bring up what they want tbh. If it's a blatant lie, it'll be rather obvious to people. For instance, "Anslo bled my entire family for fun three years ago and now he says he's a nice guy!? He's a liar!!"
wat

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #29 on: 20 Jun 2013, 09:21 »

I simply give 0 fucks, which translates into Anslo giving 0 fucks.
Role-playing, what is?
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8