Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Grown on a terrestrial world in the Harroule system, the Dryweed plant has fragile, yellowish leaves that burn very slowly, giving off a pleasant vapor that is known to have a soothing effect when inhaled.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: A Future Vision and implications.  (Read 11337 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: A Future Vision and implications.
« Reply #45 on: 26 Mar 2011, 21:23 »

That's partly the way we rationalize the sandbox: the universe evolves according to what we do.

Personally, if I wanted to play through someone else's story, I'd probably find a new game. For example, I totally intend to play SWTOR, but I see it as a completely different experience from EVE much like I do Minecraft.

Now of course that's just my viewpoint and I understand others will see it differently, but I suspect that a lot of us like the factions to provide a bit of backdrop rather than the primary story.

Crucifire

« Reply #46 on: 26 Mar 2011, 21:33 »

If CCP didn't masturbate the player to tell them how awesome they are, EVE would have a lot less players.

I agree 100% with Casiella's posts up there. I don't think they are just now 'going to that sort of wider arc', because I was under the impression that it was the whole point all along.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 26 Mar 2011, 22:36 »

The demi-god discussion is important to how the game moves forward.  Many of us play characters who are very "in touch with humanity," unlike the vast majority of characters - where arguably clone jacking is common (alts for things like supercaps, etc).

It all looks very cool, but on the practical-side it will be less dramatic.  Will capsuleers hire DUST mercs to knock down planetary colonies?  Maybe, but if we can just nuke them from orbit it might be worth the ammo and start from scratch (unless sov is tied to it  :eek:).

At the end of it all; it will be about how the various games/environments interact.  A trader might buy ground weapons in a hub, sell them to a DUST merc corp at their base, who then is hired to inhibit the operations of some other corp.  But they might also never actual interact; DUST (& other expansions) has to be able to stand on its own for it to be a good game.

For station combat to matter, there will have to be huge instinctives to leave pod depending on its consequences.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 27 Mar 2011, 01:09 »

The way I read the "station combat" here is as in-corp treachery.

1) The assassin and the target are both initially in the same area, overlooking the battle.

2) She's able to walk directly into the area he's directing combat resources from. Unless this is extremely ill-advised "public battle management," this implies that this is a members-only bit of turf.

3) She's able to do the above while armed.

That, to me, says "treacherous director."

I suspect that corporations will be able to restrict who can be armed while moving around corp/alliance areas. You do want to be able to forcibly eject people whose presence you object to (e.g., suspected spies) from C&C; pulling a gun and executing them is a nice, neat way to do it. However, getting popped by one of your "own" would definitely be an accompanying risk.

Eeeee. Treachery with added drama.

Other than that, my suspicion is that stationside combat will be restricted in capsuleer "common" areas such as bars, shops, and similar hangouts. The "baseline" sections of the station might be another matter, however: if capsuleers are fair game for random citizens (to say nothing of security) when they move outside their domain (see the chronicle, "Jita 4-4"), those areas might end up being the stationside equivalent of low or nullsec.

... So the rewards of venturing into them better be worthwhile. (Incidentally, if it's not already clear, I'm pretty sure that whatever advance is allowing the cloning of the DUST ground-pounders will apply to capsuleers, as well.)

And yes, I suspect that stationside combat will have more in common with the Eve we know than with Mass Effect.

Major JSilva

« Reply #49 on: 27 Mar 2011, 03:59 »

Dreads smashing ground pounders with orbital strikes :( and possible stationside combat.... AWESOME!!!

Reason for me to get Dust 514 and continue playing Eve.. i knew I kept that xbox for some reason :)

I'm generally more excited for this because I  am more of FPS gamer myself been playing Halo and Battlefield 2 for years. I hope they truely make it unique for Eve so it just not another Halo or Mass Effect ripoff. Though this could help make sov changes more interesting in some ways of course. Kind of a fight more for your home idea.

I wonder if this can also be tied in with Live Events some how... considering CCP wants to do more of them though involving multiple factions. The next 6 months to a year will be interesting, I do hope they fix the old stuff while introducing new content as well.

Silva

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #50 on: 27 Mar 2011, 08:12 »

Thoughts?

Atmospheric flight.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #51 on: 27 Mar 2011, 08:37 »

I like the idea of CCP expanding the in-game universe to combat aboard stations (if they're truly moving in this direction; I don't want to read too much into the trailer). It opens up a new level/aspect of strategy and makes it more than "ooh I can walk in a station." Don't get me wrong: I think walking in stations is going to be badass, but I'd like to be able to do something other than walking and checking out the sights.

The planetary bombardment aspect is what really fascinates me, though. I don't think there's a game out there that allows cross-interaction on that level. One guy on an XBOX is fighting on the surface, and he can call in support from a buddy on a PC, who he probably never sees "in person" other than a holograph or something like that (if it indeed tracks in that direction).

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 27 Mar 2011, 08:50 »

The planetary bombardment aspect is what really fascinates me, though. I don't think there's a game out there that allows cross-interaction on that level. One guy on an XBOX is fighting on the surface, and he can call in support from a buddy on a PC, who he probably never sees "in person" other than a holograph or something like that (if it indeed tracks in that direction).
DUST & Capsuleer characters could in theory meet on stations/command barges and this may be something encourages access to "common areas."  The ability to meet your employer/contractor face-to-face means the SCC isn't involved in the transaction (similar to the current trade window when you are docked).

And again, the points of interaction between all three* games is going to be the most interesting and challenging to balance.  The trailer, awesome for showing off the feel of the universe and desired end-product; but how that feel translates to game play is going to be a challenge.

*In-Ship (classic Eve-Online), Walking-In-Stations (Incarna), and Ground-Combat (DUST) will all have various mechanics that make them different.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #53 on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:24 »

Well honestly if combat had to be introduced in stations at some point, it can be damn cool but only if it is done with a lot of restraint. I don't want to see the stations becoming like the outside of Amarr EFA station 24/24 (meaning : everyone shooting each other faces happily). I would like it to be restricted by guards (immersive coherence) : you don't draw your weaponry at every corner in the street without a cop catching you and putting you in jail. And that even means that you can actually carry a weapon in public.

Honestly, I am not fan of weapons in public space in stations . Remember the small arms item illegality. Well, personnal weapons could just be stored in armories and storage secured rooms, and you could why not grab them to go in less secured part of a station. Much like the difference between high-sec and low-sec. High sec being here administrative quarters, corporations offices, docking bays, etc, with security at every corner. And low sec being something else closer to lower cities, etc. Where black market happens and all that stuff. This is where it could be damn cool to be able to wear weapons (and still being able to get caught if you are being a dick with them all around).

And gameplay wise you HAVE TO keep some areas safes for the "carebears". Well, I suppose we will also have incarna carebears, much like in space. And they will probably not want to pvp when they do not want, in safe areas.

Well, that s how I would like to see it.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2011, 11:49 by Louella Dougans »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #54 on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:27 »

Personally I'd just like to have my personal security detachment follow me around, doing all the sorts of things executive protection officers, um, do. (Tibus Heth did that for a while, IIRC, before the events of TEA.)

Dirk Smacker

• Clonejack
« Reply #55 on: 27 Mar 2011, 15:13 »

The developers spoke more about where they want to take the game during the panel and in at least one round table.  They want capsuleer avatar combat to be more of the spy versus spy variety, very likely contingincy-based so you can't walk around a station shooting everyone in the face.  One of them also talked about boarding someone's ship, fighting off their drones, killing them and taking their ship.  But that's far into the future.

Like someone also mentioned, the EVE-DUST link can not be live.  DUST "matches" will be on localized servers according to a dev, the only way you can run FPS games.  So, it is far more likely you will offer things like orbital bombardments along with contracts to DUST players.  I really can't see how you would be able to backstab DUST corps likein the trailer other than offering defensive missions through private contracts that include far superior goodies to blow them up.

Also, there is no way FW will not be included in DUST.  I anticipate it to be the mode where players can fire up the game and find instant matches against other players or npc's.  They'll probably have victory points and hopefully a meaningful way to capture planets.   That's just a guess.

In the more immediate future, the contraband system will be revamped to be player-enforced.  I hope the first instance of player assassinations will be in the form of undercover agents trading the contraband, "tagging them" (like you will do after scanning for it in space), and then you have the right to shoot them where they stand.  I think that's a far more plausible scenario than walking in on a EVE-DUST transaction gone wrong like in the movie.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #56 on: 28 Mar 2011, 01:30 »

As a note, Causality had a T2 Providence hull made by Viziam (shiny green details).

Also space elevators not going to happen, since planets rotate (and objects in space do not), unless CCP handwaves that.

Otherwise, the future vision is a nice video, even if it's just a teaser for stuff that essentially does not exist. (There's art for it, yeah. I want a Death Star, I saw one in the movies.) I'd assume that backup clones & stuff allow avatar combat in lawless space. On regular stations, not going to happen. Unless there's some kind of a system where "station underside decks are not policed", but it'd be rather dumb for capsuleers to fight as themselves, backup clones or not. (Being captured being a threat that isn't solved by backup clones.) Laser Squad Nemesis as a boarding simulator, now there'd be an idea.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2011, 01:37 by Mithfindel »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:20 »

Wouldn't station side combat invalidate the existence of CONCORD as a security providing entity to the capsuleers completely?

Tagging other pilots for assassination, would do the same thing?

Remember, at the moment podding is 'bad' because a.) It costs iskies to get a new clone, b.) you lose your implants, c.) it's bloody inconvenient.

If getting 'killed' becomes common place, then what separates EVE from WoW anymore?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #58 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:58 »

I must say I am not wild about combat on stations. I feel capsuleers fighting commando-style just does not fit in with how the world is presented in PF.

Besides if you can get shot walking around on stations, who wants to walk around on stations and risk their implants? (assuming station combat would be non-consensual like other pvp in Eve is)  If one can shoot random passersby on stations, how long until somebody does? About the time it takes to make an alt these days?

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #59 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:39 »

I think that there ARE no implications and that they just made a trailer with some high drama intrigue in it. Don't read too much into the fact that a character in a trailer had a gun.

As for Dust design -  I think that helmet design looks badass, that we've not really seen detailed examples of the vehicle assets except for a Caldari tank and the ass-end of a Gallentean light vehicle. The bulk of the game's look and assets are unknown to us and therefore impossible to comment on.

TL;DR - you're acting like typical roleplayers and inventing significance where there is none. Stop it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7