Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the top-heavy, curved, vertical design of the Naglfar was copied from Minmatar totems? Read more in the description

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: A Future Vision and implications.  (Read 11324 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
A Future Vision and implications.
« on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:26 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mlVuLs_Nw

So yeah, planetary bombardment is real. That much is fucking awesome and something I've been drooling about forever. But more importantly, there's guntoting people around.

I'm not so sure I like the implications this has for Incarna. I swear, if there's even a hint of avatar driven combat in Incarna, I'm nixing the entire damn game. If I wanted that, I'd be playing FPS games or other MMOs.

Thoughts?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: A Future Vision and implications.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:28 »

I'd approve. I presumed by their descriptions that smugglers would be taggable by players as "free game," thereby meaning willing participants could get into gunfights. Of course, I have to question how they could put enough resources towards the game to make an avatar combat system... it'd mean buying armor and weapons and the like...

More boringly, CONCORD might just shoot you if you're evil and you don't get a say, like in space.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:37 »

I think it's great that avatar combat may be possible. It's not going to take precedence over EVE, and it doesn't make the game worse.

Of course, a few hardcore zealots would complain, but they would never leave; it's their drug. I wouldn't harp on one little possibility that isn't even available yet and freak out.

EDIT: CCP has stated that they want EVE to be a universe, not a spaceship game. They're branching out, and not only is that exciting, but tech-wise it's brilliant.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2011, 12:39 by Benjamin Shepherd »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:41 »

Avatars with guns and close interaction between capsuleers and DUST troops begs the question: are they thinking about incorporating boarding actions into my space pew pew?

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:43 »

Avatars with guns and close interaction between capsuleers and DUST troops begs the question: are they thinking about incorporating boarding actions into my space pew pew?

Yeah, but for sleeper complexes. None of this stuff will be available until 2015 I predict, anyway. That's the point of being a creative director (Torfi Frans), if you don't imagine this stuff, you're stuck with the same process and no possibility to move forward. That's a self-serving idea for the diehard players. Eventually thing change, and that's something players will have to deal with.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:47 »

I have no problem with the Eve universe expanding, but keep it in different games, damnit. Dust is an awesome idea with two separate MMO games being intertwined yet separate. Adding gunfights to Eve won't add anything to the game as it is. If there's clearly defined walls between the various 'games' of Eve, with the odd doorway between them so you can interact across them, I won't have any problem with it.

But Eve Online is spaceship pewpew with capsuleers as the demigods, not freakin' Mass Effect.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:49 »

CCP's opinion is different, and I'm fine with that. They originally intended for a vast universe with multitudes of possibilities, but the technology in 2003 couldn't provide that. Now we're entering a new age of upgraded tech that gets better every year, so the initial vision can be provided.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:53 »

Why do people assume that the ability to shoot someone = firefights in stations?

You're probably looking at something more like a scripted action (r-click - *assasinate*), and most likely only against NPC chars on stations, than any sort of combat mechanics in your Incarna.

Calm down folks, you're jumping to conclusions.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:57 »

Why do people assume that the ability to shoot someone = firefights in stations?

You're probably looking at something more like a scripted action (r-click - *assasinate*), and most likely only against NPC chars on stations, than any sort of combat mechanics in your Incarna.

Calm down folks, you're jumping to conclusions.

Wait, only NPCs would be able to bring boosters and contraband onto stations for these deals? :O

Weird conclusion to jump to.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2011, 12:58 »

Oh, I'm not assuming it as a fact, just as a possibility.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2011, 13:21 »

That trailer has to be nullsec. No way in hell empires would allow that, without some cheap deus ex machina plot device. It may also mean that DUST wil get integrated with FW (some mention about FW and DUST NPCs somewhere)...

But otherwise, really looking forward to it, but moreso in how they integrate it into the fiction.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2011, 13:38 »

I tend to agree with Graelyn on the general idea that we shouldn't read too much into the game design details, particularly when we're talking long-term vision. We could be looking at things related to their unannounced fourth and fifth projects, for example, about which we know nothing other than that they're doing "something".

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2011, 13:39 »

I'd thank CCP for taking the time to flesh that CGI out.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2011, 14:51 »

Its a trailer, folks. A movie like showcase of which utopy they would like to see in the future. They have always stated there will be no fight in stations. This is just for screening sake, nothing more.

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2011, 15:11 »

I'm happy with this. Honestly the fact is since DUST was announced I think we all knew chances were good it would be interwoven rather then separate, and really that trailer was about as 'Eve' as you can get. I'm down with this, I wanna get my hands dirty as well as my turrets.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7