Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Electus Matari lost over 400 members at the start of its war with PIE Inc?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: A Future Vision and implications.  (Read 11325 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: A Future Vision and implications.
« Reply #30 on: 26 Mar 2011, 18:04 »

Possible correlation between the DUST soldiers' armor and this image of (probably) True Slave soldiers from one of the last chrons?  Perhaps in a storyline sense, the innovations that will make DUST possible come from tech recovered by the capsuleers from Sansha incursions?

/wild speculation

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 26 Mar 2011, 18:07 »

I wouldn't rule it out, but both just scream "scifi soldiers" to me without having strong links between them.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #32 on: 26 Mar 2011, 18:37 »

I'd go a resounding "No" for that one.

Also, what's with the generic sci-fi aesthetic of DUST 514? From previous Fanfest stuff, we know that the assets they have now is Gallente/Caldari but...doesn't remotely resemble it (except caldari at least)

Like, the 2009 demo had a Gallente jeep...but it looked like generic Halo to me. What about sleek, aerodynamic silver stuff with emerald windows for Gallente?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 26 Mar 2011, 18:42 »

Dunno about Gallente, but those tanks / self-propelled artillery just screamed "Caldari" as soon as I saw them.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 26 Mar 2011, 18:48 »

I found the whole video quite lacking of any kind of content.

It showed how the Incarna engine works, or its HD version does.

Thats it.

In the video there was no connection to any npc entity within the game.
There was just this obscure moral teaching of the story, where you get shot in the head if you do not fulfill your contract.
Or was it, hot red heads are psychopaths.

Dunno what the hubbub is about.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 26 Mar 2011, 19:08 »

Dunno about Gallente, but those tanks / self-propelled artillery just screamed "Caldari" as soon as I saw them.

That's what I mean. In the original Dust 514 trailer, Gallentean vehicles looked exactly the same, as per the jeep that Hellmar identified as Gallente.

Generic sci-fi FTL .-.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 26 Mar 2011, 19:32 »

Or was it, hot red heads are psychopaths.
This is truth from my understanding.

Generic sci-fi FTL .-.
Faster than light? :P

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 26 Mar 2011, 19:42 »

Many players (not necessarily many here) prefer EVE, including EVE RP, without over-reliance on NPC entities. It's "our" story, after all, and so the vision reflects that.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 26 Mar 2011, 20:01 »

Yeah, I noticed CCP is going to that sort of wider arc, especially with their recent trailers since Dominion. Merely a backdrop for player stories. Ah well.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 26 Mar 2011, 20:11 »

"Ah well"? Why is that a problem?

From my perspective, that's as things should be. The factions provide a backdrop for us, but EVE per se is the story of the capsuleers.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 26 Mar 2011, 20:51 »

I don't like the capsuleer demigod thing, I much prefer the vanilla universe. I think the capsuleer thing damages the fictional world from my perspective, like how I could go to Gallente Prime, and drop a massive PI industrial complex on their land, pack it up, drop it all again, otherwise claiming vast amounts of real estate on this "important" world. Same with nullsec, I'm not 100% sure what the deal is giving the capsuleers with names like xxXSuperKillazXxx territory and control. The "scale" is also a bit big for my liking, like how thousands die when a battleship goes pop. Bit much imo

Similarly, I'm not sure why we couldn't just be generic space captains, and our bridge would be ejected when our ship is destroyed like it is in TBL. Skills are related to crew training, or whatever.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #41 on: 26 Mar 2011, 20:58 »

Because a) that's just boring. b) if the 'spacebridge' goes pop, then what? c) That completely kills off the giant RP faucet that is post-human psychology, mentality, politics, interaction, political and military regulation of capacity and so on and so forth.

Capsuleers make sense. Just being a ship Captain? Yeah, that'll make missions make sense. "Yup. I trained my crew, see? I can take on a fucking Armada, bitches!" Naw, the whole capsuleer thing makes sense, creates a ton of RP and makes this the only MMO in the history of MMOs that handle character death in a manner that makes any fucking sense.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 26 Mar 2011, 21:00 »

Could just be cloned. As what was brought up in Fanfest regarding boarding teams on Sleeper structures, and you lose your berthed ship, then the only way out is a pistol to your head. So, soft cloning exists.

Besides, if CCP didn't actively masturbate the player to tell them how awesome they were, the RP community might be very different...but that's an all together different subject, and worth a vlog some point down the line.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #43 on: 26 Mar 2011, 21:10 »

Besides, if CCP didn't actively masturbate the player to tell them how awesome they were, the RP community might be very different...but that's an all together different subject, and worth a vlog some point down the line.

Even gods have a hierarchy, to quote a piece of fiction I totally can't remember off the top of my head.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #44 on: 26 Mar 2011, 21:12 »

Agree with Seriphyn. I hate the capsuleer demigod thing. I loathe it and despise it. I find that the whole "capsuleer doesn't care about anything because he's hot shit" is unrealistic, even in whatever post-Earth fantasy someone wants to carve out.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7